+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Thread, Best Backup Software for Disaster Recovery.. in Technical; Originally Posted by contink Has anyone been looking at the new MS product "System Center Data Protection Manager 2007"? Thought ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by contink View Post
    Has anyone been looking at the new MS product "System Center Data Protection Manager 2007"?

Thought I'd ask as it appeared in my quarterly partnership pack today.

my understanding is DPM 2007 is microsoft's attempt at continuous data protection (CDP), it's very new and i haven't had a chance to give it a test drive. I'd imagine there are more features than just CDP but that's the main selling point.

Thank Post

Installing DPM 2007

We've been told that DPM is about 75 per server and as we have two sites with 100MBps between the two then the continuous data protection seems like a nice thing to have and the option of users being able to restore their own files would be a great benefit. We're about to throw a large amount of disk space at the servers

(Axstor iSCSI devices unless anyone has any other recommendations)

so we are hoping to be able to do 30 days on disk with archives to tape taken from the backup allowing us to backup during the day when its easier to manage the multitape archives.

Anyone got any direct experience of installing /using DPM 07 in a live environment?

Chris

Thank Post
    Has anyone used Bakbone nevault on Windows servers. I heard that is a good backup soluition.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cjohnsonuk View Post
    We've been told that DPM is about 75 per server and as we have two sites with 100MBps between the two then the continuous data protection seems like a nice thing to have and the option of users being able to restore their own files would be a great benefit. We're about to throw a large amount of disk space at the servers

(Axstor iSCSI devices unless anyone has any other recommendations)

so we are hoping to be able to do 30 days on disk with archives to tape taken from the backup allowing us to backup during the day when its easier to manage the multitape archives.

Anyone got any direct experience of installing /using DPM 07 in a live environment?

Chris
    You may want to have a look into how DPM implements CDP....like most software solutions at that price it's probably using near-CDP where snapshots are taken at regular intervals rather than contious replication of new and modified data. Also look how is disk space used and managed with DPM's cdp feature ? while most cdp solutions have clever ways of minimising the amount of storage needed for storing the snapshots/PiT copies how easy and reliable is DPM when restoring from a specific PiT.

If you've got two sites seperated by a 100mbps WAN link this gives you a unique opportunity to implement some sort of Disaster Recovery. There are hardware based products in the market that are superb at replicating data to a DR site, and at 100mbps you should see some good performance depending on how you setup you're DR policies. For the cost of an additional license you can get remote mirror features that make storage administration a lot easier.
    It makes a lot of sense to setup some sort of d2d between the sites, and offloading to tape.

Thank Post
    Have you had a look at Backup for Workgroups. This is a full software solution which backs up to NAS. It has full open file management which means it fully backs up Active Directory, SQL, Exchange etc using shadow copying. It also does full disaster recovery even to the point of creating a disaster recovery plan for you which gives you full instructions on how to carry it out. Another key point of the software is the mirror capability. It will mirror the main backup to an offsite NAS device, so that if your backup disc goes, you just swap the location to the mirror and you still have a complete backup.
    We have 5 servers in our organisation. What we do is put 500Gb lacie drives on each one and Backup for workgroups backups to each drive. We then mirror the contents onto a 1TB Lacie NAS storage off site. One of the main benefits of this system is that there is no restriction on how far back you can restore from. For our students they can backup from the beginning of the academic year, even if they are at the end of the academic year 1 year later.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,510 Times in 1,206 Posts
    In my opinion, the best way to evaluate any backup software solution is to simulate a restore. How quickly and effectively can you restore files or get a server back online?

I can highly recommend NTBackup. I use it on all 2003 servers. It's fast, reliable, easy to use and it comes complete with Windows (as we all know). As for backup solutions - tape, external hard disk and remote backup should be explored.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12