+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, IT helpdesk support interview answers in Technical; hi guys : Iam an IT helpdesk support engineer who got no experience in helpdesk at all even after 5 ...

Thank Post

IT helpdesk support interview answers

hi guys :

Iam an IT helpdesk support engineer who got no experience in helpdesk at all even after 5 years of graduation . I struggled to have a job in my area , however i been rejected many times . I have decided to carry on doing my master degree and then some IT certificates (MCITP , mcts exchange server 2010) . Unfortunelty, that havent exmpted me from being isolated again but this time due to no experience reason . The most important thing i like to point out , is the frequent asked questions during the interview particularly those for BEHAVIROAL SKILLS , which require having real experience into real environments. It always was the reason to be disqualified by employers and it DRIVE ME CRAZE that i couldnt find real answers to these along with some other technical questions that needs to be exposed to technical equipments .

Sorry for the long thread , but to summarize things, PLEASE PLEASE could you provide me with real and i say REAL SAMPLE ANSWERS for you (experienced IT helpdesk guys) to these questions so it could help me with interviews . such questions like

Tell me about yourself
    Why should we hire you?

What is your greatest strength?
    What is your greatest weakness?

"Tell me about a problem that really tested your analytical abilities? How did you reach a solution?

Q1. What do you think are the main qualities/attributes required to be an
    effective Customer Services Helpdesk person?

Q2. Provide an example where you have had to deal with an awkward customer, what did you do, and what was the outcome?

Q3. How do you keep track of matters requiring your attention/how do you stay organised?

Q4. Can you provide an example of where you have had to use a structured approached to solving a customer�s problem?

Q5. Can you give examples of SLA�s (service level agreements) you have worked to?

Q6. What is the extent of your IT /technical skills?

Q7. Can you give me an example of when you�ve exceeded a customer�s expectations?

Q8. What is the extent of your team co-ordination/supervisory experience?

Q9. Do you prefer working in a team or working alone?

Q10. What are your strengths and weaknesses?

Q11. What motivates you?

Q12. What do you enjoy about your current job?

Q13. What would you change about your current role?

as well as some technical questions i was really paused to answer

my experience of how to deploy operating system ?

- should i say for instance ( WDS) and start read about it or i could say (SCCM )
    - for imaging software like acronis true image and ghost image . ( what i should say?)

I appreciate if you could help me

Thank Post
    For question 1 “What do you think are the main qualities/attributes required to be an effective Customer Services Helpdesk person?” I would mention how it is important to be friendly and patient with the customer, to be able to work to a deadline and to have a good technical knowledge of the type of hardware and software that the company\customers use that you are always expanding and improving.

For question 2 “Provide an example where you have had to deal with an awkward customer, what did you do, and what was the outcome?” talk about a time you helped someone in a part time job, friends or family that you needed to help more than normal, an example could be a part time job in a super market were a customer knew what they wanted but could not remember the name or what it looks like.

For question 3 “How do you keep track of matters requiring your attention/how do you stay organised?” In your case you could mention the University assignments that you need to get done and how you needed to put them in order of their due date to know which ones to work on first. I would mention how I would make lists of tasks that need to be complete and then assign priorities to them.

For question 4 “Can you provide an example of where you have had to use a structured approached to solving a customer’s problem?” Similar to question 2, talk about a time you helped someone in a part time job, friends or family and explain the process that you used to fix the problem. For example the way to trouble shoot the problem (what did you checked), what\where on the Internet did you look for a solution and how did you apply the solution.

For question 5 “Can you give examples of SLA’s (service level agreements) you have worked to?” Similar to question 2, talk about a time you helped someone in a part time job, friends or family for a part time job explain what the task was and the time you needed it finished and jobs for friends or family explain what you promised to do and when it would be done by.

For question 6 “What is the extent of your IT /technical skills?” You could talk about anything you have help friends with, the topics your University course covered as well as the software and anything you have done at home yourself.

For question 7 “Can you give me an example of when you’ve exceeded a customer’s expectations?” Similar to question 2, talk about a time you helped someone in a part time job, friends or family that you got them a better outcome that made them happy, for example you fixed a friends computer faster than expected or you helped a customer find a cheaper product.

For question 8 “What is the extent of your team co-ordination/supervisory experience?” You could talk about any group assignments or any time you and your friends have arranged to go on a trip and say how you helped arrange it.

For question 9 “Do you prefer working in a team or working alone?” Just say which you prefer but add that you more than happy to do ever as on a helpdesk job you will be working with people sometimes as well as by yourself.

For question 10 “What are your strengths and weaknesses? Try and list as many strengths as possible and for weaknesses keep them few and add how you are improving them. For example my spelling and writing are not great (as you can see in some of my older posts) but to improve them I am writing stories to improve my spelling, grammar as well as overall writing structure of my writing.

For question 11 “What motivates you? Just say what motivates you for your professional self and your personal self, talk as much as you can about it, all up to you this one .

For question 12 “What do you enjoy about your current job? Again if you have\had a job before talk about anything you liked about it.

For question 13 “What would you change about your current role?” Once again if you have\had a job before talk about what you would like to achieve with the new job or what you what improved from the last job (A student is a job).

Any technical questions in my experience is better just to try and explain with what you know, you could do some research into what they use and the read or watch Youtube videos and to get an understanding of how they my deploy software and re-image but be careful in doing this.

Just try being yourself and avoid one word answers, the interview is trying to see if you are someone that they can work with and it’s hard to do so the less you talk.
    Hope this helps.

Thank Post
    Thinly veiled advert for a job site? Maybe I'm cynical, but why post links to the questions on another site with answers?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post
    Thinly veiled advert for a job site? Maybe I'm cynical, but why post links to the questions on another site with answers?
    You could right about the job site thing, lets see if they answer back.

Thank Post
    Personally, the questions which relate to why you would like the job / why you think you would be good at the job are fairly easy and just take a little time to put together a good answer - use google, write your answers on paper and try them out on someone to see how you could improve. I'm not gonna write the answers for you

The more technical questions - try to explain stuff that you have actually done, weather that's at uni or home. And if you can't answer the question then try and think what you would have done in that situation to resolve the issue. You could even volunteer at a local school or business for a small amount of time to give you some hands on experience, plus it looks great on your CV/Application.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cooka View Post
    The more technical questions - try to explain stuff that you have actually done, weather that's at uni or home. And if you can't answer the question then try and think what you would have done in that situation to resolve the issue. You could even volunteer at a local school or business for a small amount of time to give you some hands on experience, plus it looks great on your CV/Application.
    That's a great tip for him , @yas80 if you can volunteer anywhere it is a good foot in the door.

Thank Post
    Thankyou @grey - gear and cooka , appreciate your answers guys . I would try to recall the uni and some part time job i did previously which could help in my situation .

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread