+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Windows Thread, XP availability in Technical; Does anyone know that actual date that XP will no longer be on retail/OEM sale? I've read in some places ...
    Thank Post

XP availability

Does anyone know that actual date that XP will no longer be on retail/OEM sale? I've read in some places that its as early as 30th Jan 2008, other places say its June 2008, and others still say its Jan 2009!

Anyone know?

Also, I've read on the Dell forums that many of thier products no longer even have the option for coming with XP pre-installed, and that Vista is the only choice being offered, with 'downgrade rights' allowed but (legally) only a retail-purchased copy of XP can be used, not any existing liscence!

Surely that's a bit off?

What are people here planning on doing with regards to Vista? Are you going to enbrace it, or put it off for as long as you can?

I'm in two minds about it really, its going to cause some problems but then again what major change doesn't to begin with?

Thank Post

Re: XP availability

Quote Originally Posted by Pete10141748
    Does anyone know that actual date that XP will no longer be on retail/OEM sale? I've read in some places that its as early as 30th Jan 2008, other places say its June 2008, and others still say its Jan 2009! Anyone know?
    According to Microsoft, it's all 3, depending who you are...
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/lifecycle/default.mspx

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,394 Times in 1,855 Posts
    Blog Entries

Also, I've read on the Dell forums that many of thier products no longer even have the option for coming with XP pre-installed, and that Vista is the only choice being offered, with 'downgrade rights' allowed but (legally) only a retail-purchased copy of XP can be used, not any existing liscence!

Surely that's a bit off?
    The downgrade rights mean you can call Microsoft and demand a copy of XP to install instead of Vista. You can't transfer a previous OEM licensed copy over, as it is tied to the machine it came on, but MS will provide you with one.

What are people here planning on doing with regards to Vista? Are you going to enbrace it, or put it off for as long as you can?
    I'm burying my head as deep in the sand as I can. :P

I'm in two minds about it really, its going to cause some problems but then again what major change doesn't to begin with?
    A well planned major change doesn't... It should not be a given that problems will follow a major update, it should be a rarity. *Comes back to the real world*

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

we will probably deploy it when:
    a) Becta ok it for schools use
    b) we can afford the hardware
    c) we can afford the software
    d) all the software we have runs on it
    e) The team get sufficient training from MS

Linux/Terminal services is looking much more promising though.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,236 Times in 784 Posts
    Blog Entries

I plan on this installation method for vista...

http://www.gofish.com/player.gfp?gfid=30-1078044

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

My bosses are dead against Vista and to be honest, I don't blame them. I don't mind having it on my personal machine (much) but from what I've seen of it so far, it's a real pain in the bum on a real network.

We're going to be rebuilding our college soon (nothing to do with BSF thankfully so my job is safe!) and we're looking into alternatives for when we move into the new building. At the moment, an Ericom enhanced terminal server farm is the favourite option but I guess we'll see how things pan out.

Thank Post

If Dell are not helping you deploy XP, tell them your off to buy from someone who is.

Fujitsu have got this message and supply a DVD than runs and 30 mins later, machine is running XP

And they support it

regards

Simon

PS If every Net Manager in the world says no to Vista.....

Thank Post

We will delay replacing XP for as long as we can. I looked at the case for moving to Vista/Office 2007 and concluded there were no immediate benefits and in any case we have no funds to make the move. As we are due to be 'refurbished' by BSF in 2011 I would expect that is when we will make the move from XP. It's anybody's guess where we might end up though, Vista is by no means a certainty. Who knows what the 'experts' might dream up for us as part of BSF

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by broc
    I looked at the case for moving to Vista/Office 2007 and concluded there were no immediate benefits
    I'd agree with you on Vista, but I'm not sure it's true of Office 2007 - the "advanced" features are more accessible, so more likely to be found/remembered/used by the users.

Quote Originally Posted by broc
    As we are due to be 'refurbished' by BSF in 2011 I would expect that is when we will make the move from XP. It's anybody's guess where we might end up though, Vista is by no means a certainty.
    The next incarnation of Windows will be out by then, maybe you'll get that :-)

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,341 Times in 740 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Domino
    I plan on this installation method for vista...

http://www.gofish.com/player.gfp?gfid=30-1078044
    ACE!

Thank Post

Don't like Vista or Office 2007 and no one I work with likes them. We've rolled out to a few computers (mine included) and gone back in all cases. Vista is slower, supports less hardware and software, and has moved things around POINTLESSLY.

XP works.

Why do Microsoft think it's ok to have shifted things so users can't find them anymore, tell my computer (when I'm admin) to check whether or not I'm aware that I'm installing software/drivers/whatever... grrr...

I can't support something when I don't know how things are done myself - I can't learn where things are because the OS is trying to hide things from me!

We have licenses for Vista and Office 2007- I'm going to fight!

Thank Post

Seems no-one likes Vista! We have it on 1 laptop (which stays with us in the tech room) and 2 laptops which were given to the Head and Deputy Head, as well as another Vista laptop personally belonging to a trainee. Had no problems with any of them so far, and the H&DH both like using Vista now they are used to it.

The reason for my OP was that a lot of equipment we have here is getting old, and replacements are going to be occuring throughout the coming year. We can't afford to buy a lot of equipment before the middle of the year, by which time XP may not come installed on any machine. I'm a bit worried that downgrading to XP may have reprocussions (such as drivers / recovery disks not working properly, problems with warranties as has been mentioned on here before, etc) and it also seems a bit daft to buy what is essentially a higher grade machine (dual core, masses of RAM / HD etc) and then stick XP on it thus not using the PC to its potential (or maybe thats just me, I do tend to want to push things as far as they'll go!)

We have an e-learning centre here in Luton, and all of thier ICT suites, laptops and other machines all use Vista and Office 2007. It all seemed to run pretty smoothly when I visited the centre before christmas, and so this has me wondering if a lot of the "fear of problems with Vista" hype comes from fear of change combined with the few issues that are actually known.

Hmm, more reserarch is needed I think.

@ gwendes; you said that

I can't support something when I don't know how things are done myself
    but surely with any new piece of software (even hardware) you have to learn how to use it before you can support it? For me, I think its good to look into how other things work, and not just know the old 'tried and tested' stuff. Have you used any other OS's besides windows? Didn't you have to figure out things in them too? There were differences between Windows versions too, OK maybe not so much as in XP>Vista but there were. After using something for many years, of course making a change is going to seem like a pain, just as I'm sure that when XP came out people said the same things they are saying now.

I'm not saying you're wrong or anything, thats just my POV.

Thank Post

If it was easy to use I wouldn't mind but Vista made my life miserable and I have a good PC. Everything ground to a halt- a fresh install sent my CPU fan frantically whirring and I couldn't some of my software.

Vista felt the need to harrass me constantly asking whether I /really/ wanted to be doing x to my computer... when I turned off this hypervisor-like feature it refused to install new software and threw up error messages.

I just think there should be an 'admin' mode where it accepts what you are doing without question - at the moment it behaves like a 3-year-old - CONSTANT questions.

They've made it unbearable for me to use (as an advanced Windows user) and therefore I can't help out people getting stuck with randomly moved features.

While I'm at it - WHY have Microsoft been removing the 'File' toolbar? Is it THAT ugly? I find it very useful.

This is turning into a FFS - but seriously, Microsoft, give me XP Ultra Edition, include DX10 and I'll be happy.

I have used many other operating systems - I have MacOSX/XP/Ubuntu at home and various machines at work - I'm happy to play with whatever the latest OS is like a new toy and jumped installed early betas and RCs of Vista - eagerly awaiting the final release. I don't think it's a good idea for the end user to have things changed for the hell of it... that makes more work for me and my colleagues.

And btw - I don't know about anyone else but I was delighted with XP from day one... it took a little getting used to but at least there was still a 'Start' button

Thank Post

The reason for my OP was that a lot of equipment we have here is getting old, and replacements are going to be occuring throughout the coming year. We can't afford to buy a lot of equipment before the middle of the year, by which time XP may not come installed on any machine.
    If the system builder license availability date is Jan 09, does that mean we should be able to buy machines with XP until that date?

Thank Post

Seems no-one likes Vista!
    I like it actually, and I much prefer the ways it handles copying/moving files and folders (except for the time issue, but that's fixed apparently) and the hyperlink style address bar is great. I haven't yet tried any of our older hardware on it yet, though. BUT... Except for the tagging (which I must play with some more), and possibly the different navigation style of the Start Menu, none of the features I've found would really benefit our users, so I'm not about to shell out on licences.

but surely with any new piece of software (even hardware) you have to learn how to use it before you can support it? For me, I think its good to look into how other things work, and not just know the old 'tried and tested' stuff.
    That's my thinking too - at some point, we'll be going to Vista (I really can't see a Mac or Linux rollout happening here) and I'll certainly end up supporting home PCs with it, so I figured I might as well get on and learn it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast