+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Thread, XP Licensing Question in Technical; Originally Posted by torledo Originally Posted by DMcCoy Originally Posted by Dos_Box Not really. Ask your LEA if they have ...
    Thank Post

Re: XP Licensing Question

Quote Originally Posted by torledo
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box
    Not really. Ask your LEA if they have a purchasing arrangement with Microsoft or one of its partners. In Lancashire we can buy all software with VLK where applicable for the same price as OEM.
    All except windows, so while you may have a VLK, its really for Windows *upgrade*. Base machines will still need FPP or OEM windows licenses. Not that you need to use the keys.

I've always been of the opinion that if I have the correct number and type of licenses then I will always use a VLK.

It all gets a bit more complicated with Vista, but activation can take place after imageing - keep an eye out for SP3 for XP, activation changes so its like vista, activate after its been running for up to 30 days IIRC.
    Which isn't a problem as virtually all PC's shipped shipped since 2002 have XP OEM preinstalled. And OEM's still continue to ship models with XP and that is now extedned into the middle of next year.

Vista now requires connection to an internet server to validate/activate volume license Vista upgrades. With XP upgrade VLicenses Previously it was left up to your LEA to tell Microsoft which machines the software was to be installed on. So you'd fax the info to them and they'd no doubt fax it onto MS or keep it for their own records (whatever the process was). That's no longer the case with Vista, although I''m not clear on the specifics.
    It's an issue if schools build their own PCs and then just ask for an XP license and get sold a vol one without knowing it's only an upgrade. Licensing was the first thing I tackled when I started

Vista Enterprise can use its own licensing server (if you have enough machines) or you can get a limited use key to activate with.

Ultimate can only be used with a vol license if you had xp pro with software assurance active when vista came out. This is also more complicated in that you have to ask ms for a set number of keys which is then verified. Each machine needs to be activated with a unique key.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box
    Not really. Ask your LEA if they have a purchasing arrangement with Microsoft or one of its partners. In Lancashire we can buy all software with VLK where applicable for the same price as OEM.
    All except windows, so while you may have a VLK, its really for Windows *upgrade*. Base machines will still need FPP or OEM windows licenses. Not that you need to use the keys.

I've always been of the opinion that if I have the correct number and type of licenses then I will always use a VLK.

It all gets a bit more complicated with Vista, but activation can take place after imageing - keep an eye out for SP3 for XP, activation changes so its like vista, activate after its been running for up to 30 days IIRC.
    Which isn't a problem as virtually all PC's shipped shipped since 2002 have XP OEM preinstalled. And OEM's still continue to ship models with XP and that is now extedned into the middle of next year.

Vista now requires connection to an internet server to validate/activate volume license Vista upgrades. With XP upgrade VLicenses Previously it was left up to your LEA to tell Microsoft which machines the software was to be installed on. So you'd fax the info to them and they'd no doubt fax it onto MS or keep it for their own records (whatever the process was). That's no longer the case with Vista, although I''m not clear on the specifics.
    It's an issue if schools build their own PCs and then just ask for an XP license and get sold a vol one without knowing it's only an upgrade. Licensing was the first thing I tackled when I started

Vista Enterprise can use its own licensing server (if you have enough machines) or you can get a limited use key to activate with.

Ultimate can only be used with a vol license if you had xp pro with software assurance active when vista came out. This is also more complicated in that you have to ask ms for a set number of keys which is then verified. Each machine needs to be activated with a unique key.
    Why the hell would anyone want to build their own machines, i know i know it's about cost savings. But seriously i've got better things to do with my time than building PC's and on top of that have to provide all the hardware support.

I think Business and Enteprise are the only vista versions we'd be interested in, am i right in thinking Enterprise is only available with a SA agreement, and what are the options available for activating (or should i say not having to activate) Vista Business ?

Thank Post

Why the hell would anyone want to build their own machines, i know i know it's about cost savings. But seriously i've got better things to do with my time than building PC's and on top of that have to provide all the hardware support.

I think Business and Enteprise are the only vista versions we'd be interested in, am i right in thinking Enterprise is only available with a SA agreement, and what are the options available for activating (or should i say not having to activate) Vista Business ?
    Enterprise is available under SA, and possibly just as a normal vol license but I've had SA so long I've not looked.

I have bought just 3 machines to build in the last 4 years, all the rest have been built to order or a top tier manufacturer. Self build is really a false economy and not a lot of fun.

Vista business and Enterprise use either a MAK key (this has a set number of activations and one gets used up each time you activate) or a KMS (Key managment server) to act as a sort of activation proxy.

http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/r...l/default.mspx has a few details.

Thank Post

Enterprise is available under SA, and possibly just as a normal vol license but I've had SA so long I've not looked.

I have bought just 3 machines to build in the last 4 years, all the rest have been built to order or a top tier manufacturer. Self build is really a false economy and not a lot of fun.

Vista business and Enterprise use either a MAK key (this has a set number of activations and one gets used up each time you activate) or a KMS (Key managment server) to act as a sort of activation proxy.

http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/r...l/default.mspx has a few details.
    thanks for the info, one last question....

Presumably you're software assurance licenses were availale through you're LA, did you specify you wanted SA or is that what they provided by default, also if you wanted SA specific features such as WinPE would you have to go back to your LEA to request this ?

Thank Post

Ah, slight mix up of abbreviations there. I mean SA = Schools Agreement. As its an annual agreement then we always have software assurance for everything (its included), I've not bought anything through the LA for a very long time, although I assume you can ask for software assurance on anything you buy. The Schools agreement also contains the assurance products (WinPE etc).

Thank Post

At the risk of drifting OT, I doubt there is a cost saving, but for awkward bastard users (me) you can get just what you need in a box with a bit of DIY. Most of my time is spent audio & video encoding so I needed something quick with a fair bit of memory, that would support my outboard hardware with a (for the time) large 2nd hdd. It just wasn't available from the run of the mill supplier. So I cannibalised the Acer that had just gone Titsup; working box, that does what I need (even if it does run a bit hot.)

I know it can be difficult at times, but remember not all [marq=right]losers[/marq] are the same. They don't all need glorified typewriters, and the ability to book their 1/2 term hols on line!

PS sorry about the scrolly thing, I just wondered what the button did ( I was looking for a strike-through)!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12