+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, WDS issue - legacy XP image - identical machine GUIDs in Technical; Hi all, I'm getting this really wierd problem with WDS at a partner school we provide support for. Last year ...

Thank Post

WDS issue - legacy XP image - identical machine GUIDs

Hi all,

I'm getting this really wierd problem with WDS at a partner school we provide support for.

Last year I built them a new HP Proliant server with Windows 2003. This has run absolutely fine and generally I'm pretty happy with it. However some of their network PCs are getting a little clogged up so I updated the server to SP2, installed WDS and created a base Windows XP SP2 image to use to clean-build their machines with rather than sit at each one with a stack of CDs.

The problem is when I PXE-boot the PCs, I can build the first three with the correct sequential naming scheme as defined in AD. However PC number 4 thinks it's PC number 2. And so does PC number 5. For a change, PC number 6 thinks it PC number 3, but the pattern repeats - all subsequent PCs think they are either PC number 2 or PC number 3.....

There are no apparent errors in the logs on the WDS box, and it's been deployed exactly the same as WDS boxes I've done at other schools which all work fine and as expected.

When going through the BIOS POST checks, all the PCs seem to be popping up with the same GUID that instant before I hit F12 to boot them from the network.

The PCs are all (*spit*) Elonex Prosentia (*spit*) units that are a few years old but otherwise OK. I've tried using both the onboard Realtek card and the additional Intel Pro 100 card that all the machines seem to have installed too with the same results. Even if I alternate which card is used in which machine when I try to build it.

This is definately a WTF moment - I've passed it up to the support team at the LA to see if they have any ideas (they haven't) and shared it with network managers at other schools to see if they've come across it (they haven't either).

Any thoughts as to how to get around this issue or what might be causing it? To my mind it's almost as if when Elonex built the PCs they literally cloned them a little too well....

Thanks in advance! :thumbup:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: WDS issue - legacy XP image - identical machine GUIDs

The GUID is set in the hardware. If you have machines with identical GUIDs then this is a manufacturing fault. I had the same problem a while back with some of our Elonex's. See this thread.

http://edugeek.net/index.php?name=Fo...ewtopic&t=9015

Thank Post

Super - thanks Geoff - I'm over at the school in question this morning and will go and try the utility on one of the machines later.

Cheers!

Thank Post

Nope - don't appear to work - the DMItool just hangs the machines dead with a "waiting..." message and the DMIBrowser utility from the MSI website pretty well does the same thing.

Although I'm no further forward as regards a solution, it does nicely confirm that the problem is due to Elonex at manufacture - all machines I've tried the tool on so far report the system manufacturer as "Elonex PLC".....

Anyone else have a working DMI reprogramming tool that is happy on the MS-6526 and MS-6558 motherboards used in Elonex Prosentia PCs or would a BIOS update to the latest image likely clear the DMI pool stuff?

Thank Post

This should be what your after, usage DMI_2043.exe /u to generate a random GUID.

DMI_2043.EXE

Thank Post

That did the trick!

Thanks Peter, much appreciated!

Thank Post

No problem, the boards will normally ship from the factory with GUIDs but if Elonex flashed them during manuafcture they may have cleared the DMI data and not generated new GUIDs

Thank Post
    Sorry to say that this problem has reared it's ugly head again.

Same problem - same hardware manufacturor (Elonex).

Several machines have identical GUIDS however the DMI_2043 utility won't touch them whereas before on other elonex PCs I had trouble with it was happy.

The utility either runs with no obvious failure, but doesn't change the UUID or errors with a series of ouputs:

Error Number = 30002683
    It is PnP Funtion error!
    Function number = 2
    Command number = 6
    Error happan in subroutine #0
    Error Description:
    PnP fucntions return code : 0 x 83, structure number/ handle passed is invalid or out of range

The boards in question are MSI MS-6558 version 1.0's - but MSI's website seems to deny all knowledge of ever having produced a board with the SIS 650 and 961 chipsets.

Have tried wiping the BIOS, even looking for an updated BIOS to see if there's something languishing around left from when Elonex cloned the boards, but with no success.

Any suggestions before I take to these PCs with a large mallet and a sharp pointy chisel? Aaaagh!

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by TheCrust; 13th February 2008 at 11:54 AM. Reason: I can't seem to spull! :-)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread