+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, McAfee endpoint encryption - who's using it in production (and is it terrible?) in Technical; While I wait to see what's going on with Truecrypt..... ...who's using McAfee Endpoint Encryption to secure laptops and what ...

Thank Post

McAfee endpoint encryption - who's using it in production (and is it terrible?)

While I wait to see what's going on with Truecrypt.....

...who's using McAfee Endpoint Encryption to secure laptops and what (if any) are the problems you find with it?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm not going to link to it since it is waaaay NSFW or even family viewing, but John McAfee's video on How to Uninstall McAfee Antivirus should be required viewing for anyone considering one of their products.

As far as Truecrypt goes there is quite the conspiracy theorist discussion on Slashdot going on right now. If Bit Locker isn't an option, I've read GPG is something worth trying.

Thank Post
    We get most of the McAfee product range for free because the local authority top-sliced funding a few years ago and as a result most schools in the county have access to free McAfee AV. It's not quite bad enough to buy an alternative, but that doesn't mean I trust it to encrypt our laptops.

I'm pondering it (but probably won't use it, because McAfee) because I want encryption linked to AD accounts (and/or tokens), not just one local decryption passphrase.

Regarding Bitlocker, we're mostly Win7 Pro at the moment and while I personally use GPG, I've not seen it use for FDE (though PGP does offer that).
    Last edited by pete; 30th May 2014 at 10:36 AM.

Thank Post
    I used it at my previous school. I found it terrible. At the time we had a mixture of XP and 7 machines. On windows 7 I found that you had to enter a password about 4 times to get to the windows unlock screen... on XP, I found that the software wouldn't install successfully all the time, meaning that, if something went wrong in between, you were screwed. Advice: stay away...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread