+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Windows Thread, block hotmail? in Technical; I've blocked hotmail and yahoo etc for the pupils, but not for the staff yet. Might consider that to try ...
    Thank Post

Re: block hotmail?

I've blocked hotmail and yahoo etc for the pupils, but not for the staff yet.
    Might consider that to try to get them using the school email system.

I thought every pupil had to have a school email account now? I could have sworn I'd seen and heard that from a few different sources.

Thank Post

Hi,

We block webbased mail about a year ago for all users for the reason mentioned and after some intial grumbbling got everyone on board. As a compromise though We have opened it up before 8:30 and after 4pm especailly for the Austrailian Staff....

On a differnet note I have also had to block all the free webspace pages as students start to bully other pupils and arrange fights with other schools on their blogs. They have also posted happy slappy vids and inappropriate images.. So I waiting for the teacher who comes up with a reason to want to open them back up....

Thank Post

Could we have a list of such sites on here somewhere?

I have some and I'm sure there are hundreds more, if we produce a list we could cause country wide misery for all kids (and some staff).

Thank Post

Piczo and rateyourteacher or whatever it was called were the 2 we had the most problem with. Blocked now of course

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by alan-d
    Could we have a list of such sites on here somewhere?

I have some and I'm sure there are hundreds more, if we produce a list we could cause country wide misery for all kids (and some staff).
    Good idea!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Thank Post

I think there are alot of sites which are considered ok by blacklists, but in a school there not educational so not wanted.

I think an edugeek site block list would fill the gap.

Thank Post

Just a quick update

the filtering has caught some very disturbing goings on during kids conversations!

Response has been ok, kids are finally getting used to it, although you do get the odd one 'My teacher has given me permission to get my hotmail' thinking they can get round the ban - of course this has no effect!

Thank Post

I've recently rolled out Firefox so our students and staff CAN access Hotmail.

I don't see the point in blocking it, they'll only find some other web based email provider.

Also, we've had more trouble with our internal email, which has been banned for anyone not in year 11 or up.
    When it's enabled for lower years they spend all lesson emailing each other rubbish, but they don't seem to bother doing that on hotmail, presumably because they don't know the little girls address they want to abuse.

Thank Post

as the staff here use hotmail, and pupils are allowed to send work home, or download it from home, it's a constant battle to see who's legitimate or not.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

Also, we've had more trouble with our internal email, which has been banned for anyone not in year 11 or up.
    When it's enabled for lower years they spend all lesson emailing each other rubbish, but they don't seem to bother doing that on hotmail, presumably because they don't know the little girls address they want to abuse.
    This is easily sorted by filtering internal emails, and selectively banning students who do send abuse to others. Its much more difficult to keep track of students if they are using an internet email provider.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd
    This is easily sorted by filtering internal emails, and selectively banning students who do send abuse to others. Its much more difficult to keep track of students if they are using an internet email provider.
    Yes, yes it is.

Unfortunately it wasn't so much the content of the emails, just the sheer amount of time they would spend on it.

Teachers here seem to view the removal and/or banning of something the only way to prevent it, as opposed to discipline.

Thank Post

This has been subject for debate here.
    We've tried blocking it completely - staff want to use it.
    Just allow staff - boys send work through it. Plus on top of that we've got boarders here who use it to contact parents etc...

It's a nightmare, because we know it's the best route to get junk in on to our networks, but nobody will discipline. Enter Securus!
    MSN has become our biggest worry since - as I say with the boarders - constantly on it calling everybody a big XYZ every 5 minutes!

What I don't get is..... they all want access to hotmail etc.. - so why are we paying x amount on Exchange??

All in all though, webmail isn't a huge issue so much anymore - bigger fish to fry!

----------
    Mike
    Network Admin
    Dulwich College

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

so why are we paying x amount on Exchange??
    good question. There are many well supported Open Source email servers out there. Generally easy maintain, filter, virus-scan and are designed for a large userbase.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd
    good question. There are many well supported Open Source email servers out there. Generally easy maintain, filter, virus-scan and are designed for a large userbase.
    Exchange Server is one of the things Microsoft does well. Yes, you can find FLOSS email servers to do SMTP and POP/IMAP4 but the combination of Exchange and Outlook is very hard to beat for PIM functionality and the seamless link to AD.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast