+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, [SOLVED] FirstClass: How Do You Fill In Server Field Automatically? in Technical; FirstClass E-Mail: How Do You Fill In Server Field On Domain Login? I'm working for a school district that uses ...
    Thank Post

Thumbs up [SOLVED] FirstClass: How Do You Fill In Server Field Automatically?

FirstClass E-Mail: How Do You Fill In Server Field On Domain Login?
    I'm working for a school district that uses FirstClass as their email server/client. I've noticed that one of the main questions I hear from people is "My email won't connect, I need help". I go to their computer, and it turns out they've just logged into a different machine and needed the Server field filled out with our districts FirstClass server entered into the field so the client knows where to connect.

My question is, to eliminate confusion, how can I edit that from the Domain Server at our school? Is there a way I can apply a group policy or login script to automatically fill in the server field at login? I've tried just creating the home.fc file that FirstClass uses for settings and putting it into the All Users folder under Documents and Settings so any user will get the home.fc file, but that doesn't always work. Again, has anyone who uses FirstClass found a way or know of a way to fill in that server field at login? Either by a script doing the filling in when the program starts or during domain login, or by uploading a fresh copy of home.fc every time.

If someone knows an easier way, please do let me know. Thanks a lot!
    Last edited by link470; 11th July 2008 at 02:53 AM.

Thank Post

Re: FirstClass: How Do You Fill In Server Field Automatically?

We just add the home.fc to all user accounts as you mentioned above and have no problems. I wrote a small batch file I ran it originally when we first got FirstClass installed to add it to all users but now just add it as and when a new account is created.

Thank Post

We have a home.fc in every teacher's login, and still find that at completely random times for no reason it just goes missing and the teacher gets a "locate settings" dialog box when they start FirstClass.

But in the rare instance that happens, we just fetch the file from the public share we've thrown it in and paste is into the right directory and they have no problems again.

I'd love to just script a "home.fc in each folder forced" thing, but so many teachers save their passwords and username fields that if they lost it, they'd forget their damn password!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,784 Times in 1,107 Posts
    Blog Entries

I have previously made the shortcut to the program run a batch script to copy the .fc file into the right folder (remembering that the version 7 client works differently to versions 8 & 9) or you make the shourtcut link to the .fc file as double clicking on it will run FirstClass with the required settings.

There are a variety of other ways you can try things and if you have a valid support licence you can log into fc.firstclass.com and go to the FirstClass Admins conference for more guidance.

Did you know that for the v8 7 v9 clients if there is not a FirstClass folder in the user profile then it will create one and take the .fc file that is sat in the FirstClass folder in Program Files?

Also, if you are using FirstClass designer there are subtle (and not so subtle) differences between version 7, 8 and 9. Make sure you .fc file works in the all.

5. Thanks to GrumbleDook from:

link470 (7th October 2009)

Thank Post

Re: FirstClass: How Do You Fill In Server Field [UPDATED Q]

Thanks for everyones replies! I always just put the home.fc file in All Users and hoped it worked, and it worked, but only about 25 percent of the time. With really odd results. I never even thought of program files. I'll give that a try.

EDIT: One question about putting it in program files, I noticed that there's only 4 files in the Program Files>First Class folder with no folder architecture. Just 2 DLL's, a text file, and the executable. Do I just drop the home.fc file in there with the rest?

EDIT 2: Apparently yes. I copied the generated "settings" folder with the home.fc file in it from My Documents [after I saved the settings the way I like them for all staff] over to the Program Files folder for FirstClass, and it works perfectly.
    Last edited by link470; 11th July 2008 at 02:56 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread