+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Thread, sql server in Technical; I have some sen software to install as a network installation which either uses sql or mdse, the instructions recommend ...
    Thank Post

sql server

I have some sen software to install as a network installation which either uses sql or mdse, the instructions recommend using enterprise manager to manage the sql server which I don't seem to have on our server W2003. Is it standard issue on servers or an extra that costs?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts

Re: sql server

The enterprise manager is installed with SQL server. If you have not got SQL on already, just install the MSDE (normally comes with the program)

Thank Post

is sql an extra or does it 'come' with the server? (scuse my ignorance) we have sophos running an enterprise version which uses sql I've now got quite confused about this

Thank Post

Enterprise manager is not availiable with MSDE, you need SQL 2000 standard or above for that.

A quick google, and voila!

MSDE Database Limitations:

MSDE is intended for single user or small workgroup environments. The following are some of the MSDE limitations in comparison with SQL Server:

No Enterprise Manager
    No Query Analyzer
    No Index Tuning Wizard
    Only 2GB RAM
    Only 2GB database size limit
    Only 2 CPUs
    Only five concurrent batch workloads or 25 concurrent connections for websites
    No Database Server Failover Support
    No Full-text search
    No SQL Server Profiler
    No Import and Export Wizards
    No OLAP
    No English Query
    No SQL Books Online
    No Full or Bulk-Logged recovery model support (only simple)

Thank Post

Sophos will have installed MSDE if you did not already have an SQL database on your system for it to use. By what you are saying you have not got an SQL server on your system

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by chrbb
    is sql an extra or does it 'come' with the server? (scuse my ignorance) we have sophos running an enterprise version which uses sql I've now got quite confused about this
    MSDE is free, but has those limitations. SQL 2000 is not free and has two licensing models. Per CPU or per client. So to use the full sql 200 server (2005 is in beta still I think) you need either:

A cpu license for the number of cpus you want to use (on a server). This requires no cals.

Or you buy the potentially cheaper server license that runs on as many cpus as the edition supports (enterprise is more than standard for example) but you need a CAL for each client to access the sql server.

Info from MS

Thank Post

2005 is out of beta, and ready for purchase now.

Thank Post

Update: quite typically the page I linked too now has sql 2005 on it. 2005 has an edition that is slightly similar to msde (the free bit), but has less of the limitations afaik (not looked into it too much as the products I use don't support 2005 yet).

Update2: Ok, it still has most of the limitations, but with slightly bigger db, but it seems to have lost the governor that slows the MSDE 2000 version down on purpose).

Thank Post

cheers for the prompt replies, looks like we don't have sql if it costs extra, I think I got confused because sophos has used msde and there is a mssql icon on the taskbar.

This software I need to install gives the option of using msde which is what it looks as though I'll have to use. Trouble is I don't have much confidence in some of the educational software out there it seems to cause more problems than any thing else.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by chrbb
    cheers for the prompt replies, looks like we don't have sql if it costs extra, I think I got confused because sophos has used msde and there is a mssql icon on the taskbar.

This software I need to install gives the option of using msde which is what it looks as though I'll have to use. Trouble is I don't have much confidence in some of the educational software out there it seems to cause more problems than any thing else.
    If you don't have a large database, need the enterprise manager or sql profiler and the database is only lightly used then msde will be fine.

The mssql icon is normal, all MSDE is, is a limited version of sql 2000 (mostly).

Edit:
    I should point out that different programs using sql on the same server can use different instances (seperate installs and databases) of MSDE (or sql 2000/5). However third party installers can have difficuly with this.

Thank Post

Just give it a whurl, the sophos database is nothing major, just a quick re-install of it will soon fix it up if it did anything to it, which it shouldnt do really!

Thank Post

Looking at purchasing SQL 2000 for our school here
    Anyone know where the best place to get it from would be?

Thank Post

Hi

We purchase the majority of our software from Pugh Computers Ltd, which is based in Llanon near Aberystwyth. Sales Tel: 01974 200201 or Email: sales@pugh.co.uk.

We find them very good.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

We find Ramesys considerably better than Pugh. If you can, get a Select licence rather than MOLP. You'll save a packet.

Ramesys recently quote us £240 for SQL Server 2000 and £2 per CAL.

Additionally, if you're using MSDE or SQL Server 2005 Express Edition, download SQL Server Management Studio Express from Microsoft That lets you create and manage databases on both MSDE and SQLEE without having to use Enterprise Manager. OK, its nowhere near as powerful but considering it free who cares?

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Norphy
    We find Ramesys considerably better than Pugh. If you can, get a Select licence rather than MOLP. You'll save a packet.

Ramesys recently quote us £240 for SQL Server 2000 and £2 per CAL.

Additionally, if you're using MSDE or SQL Server 2005 Express Edition, download SQL Server Management Studio Express from Microsoft That lets you create and manage databases on both MSDE and SQLEE without having to use Enterprise Manager. OK, its nowhere near as powerful but considering it free who cares?
    I use Pugh too for most things. My Schools agreement is with Misco atm still. I think I payed about £100 for a single processor license of sql server (no Cals needed ) Also means I can use 2005 now. I guess people might dislike paying anually to lease the software, but it is a predicatble cost and I have been enjoying its benefits lately.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast