+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Very Low Speech Volume in Technical; I have an RM Mini PC which I am temporarily using. It doesn't seem to have an internal speaker so ...
    Thank Post

Very Low Speech Volume

I have an RM Mini PC which I am temporarily using. It doesn't seem to have an internal speaker so I have been using my Apple iPhone headphones with the PC. The problem I'm experiencing is that even though the volume is at the highest level in Windows, it's still really low. Especially when I'm watching a YouTube video or something with speech. The background volume/music seems to play high, but the speech is terribly low to the point where you can hardly hear. When I do a test in control panel, the sound is really loud through the the headphones, but it's just really bad when watching anything with speech.

Any ideas what I can do to get all the sound to work properly?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 974 Posts
    What sound card has it got installed, does it have any audio utilities by the likes of Conexant / RealTek or similar ? If so may need to adjust / tweak some settings within the audio utility to increase volume levels

Also in control panel --> sounds or audio --> can you set the external headphones to be the default audio devices and configure them to increase volume levels or from the system tray click on the audio icon and click mixer options to ensure the volume levels are quite high and also not muted etc

Are there any updated audio drivers that you could install ?

Thank Post
    are you using codec pack? I've had to faff around with the sound settings in FFD show to get it to just do ordinary stereo.

4. Thanks to Oaktech from:

mac_shinobi (8th May 2014)

Thank Post
    You won't believe how stupid this is. I was watching a YouTube video where the speech was completely low and in trying to do diagnostics, I half pulled out my headphones and the speech sound burst in to life. So it seems the PC doesn't like the 3 ring iPhone headphones like in the middle of this picture and instead wants a 2 ringed standard headphone, like the phone at the bottom.

I guess plugging in only the first 2 rings is a workaround for now, but it gives a horrible crackly feedback on the sound unless I plug it in fully at which point I lose the speech audio!

6. 2 Thanks to Zoom7000:

mac_shinobi (8th May 2014), Oaktech (8th May 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 974 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoom7000 View Post
    You won't believe how stupid this is. I was watching a YouTube video where the speech was completely low and in trying to do diagnostics, I half pulled out my headphones and the speech sound burst in to life. So it seems the PC doesn't like the 3 ring iPhone headphones like in the middle of this picture and instead wants a 2 ringed standard headphone, like the phone at the bottom.

I guess plugging in only the first 2 rings is a workaround for now, but it gives a horrible crackly feedback on the sound unless I plug it in fully at which point I lose the speech audio!
    Must get different head phones !!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoom7000 View Post

Ah... Yes you were shorting part of the signal either to ground, or to another channel. Tip ring and screen is the limit on general stuff. Most phones accept 4 pole jacks.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread