+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Internet Explorer links won't open in new tabs in Technical; Hi, As the title suggests, IE10 won't open any links in a new tab. Instead they always open in a ...
    Thank Post

Internet Explorer links won't open in new tabs

Hi,

As the title suggests, IE10 won't open any links in a new tab. Instead they always open in a new window

I have a hybrid RM/Vanilla network here and only appear to have this problem on the latter type of computers so obviously the user GPO settings are already set accordingly and have even checked the tab behaviour settings manually within the IE settings panel to make sure it's set to open links in new tabs rather than windows.

I initially thought the computer GPO settings were causing a conflict but upon checking this doesn't appear to be the case as nothing is defined there.

I'm stumped now as really can't see why IE isn't adhering to these behaviour settings.

All standard users are affected by this but administrators are not so looks to be something to do with restrictions as far as I can tell.

I'm yet to test IE11 but reckon this is going to be the same as had the same problem with IE9 previously.

Any ideas?

Thank Post
    To further favour the restrictions argument, adding a standard user to the local administrators group results in links opening in a new tab....

So looks like a restrictions somewhere is causing this behaviour but what!!?

Thank Post
    I'm really stumped on this one. Anyone out there with an idea?

Thank Post
    In CMD type... gpresult /h C:\report.html and comb through to see what settings have been applied.

Another is.. gpresult /r... this will display what policies have been applied and what security group the user belongs to. Hopefully you'll discover it.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the suggestion Chuckster however, it turned out to be the Protected Mode feature of IE causing this to happen. I first caught on when I noticed it was only external links that were opening in a new window and this Security Zone had Protected Mode enabled whereas the Intranet Zone didn't. Got there in the end

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread