+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, offline files on but off. in Technical; Ok bad start to the morning today came in to find the print server / secondary DC couldn't be contacted ...

Thank Post

offline files on but off.

Ok bad start to the morning today came in to find the print server / secondary DC couldn't be contacted on the network except by IP.

Logged in locally to find the DNS service had died due to "insuficient no paged memory" restart of the server sorted it but obviosuly there is a long term fix needed here not my current top priority tho.

After getting that restarted and numerous people that had only managed partial logins etc logging out and back in again all seemed fine until I started getting reports of "suspicious looking icons on peoples desktops with blue shortcut arrow icons on them". After seeing one I knew imediatly it was offline files. Now my quandry. These offline files icons are showing for only a few users but for those users its all their files on their desktops or my documents. Their my documents and dekstops are mapped to their home directory which is on a different server not the one that crashed this morning. That server has offline files turned off explicitly on every share I have checked so I'm really confused.

How can offline files be active on a share that has it explicitly turned off. And how can I turn it off properly again.

The reason I'm nto happy to just leave this is that all user accounts are wiped by the logoff script. If for some reason somone had done some work and it had not been updated on the server version of the files when they logoff that updated or new document would be lost when the profile is deleted. I can find loads of guides and info on the net for enabling offline files but nothing related to turning it off when it is already suposedly off.

This only applies to less than a dozen users who suceeded in logging in while the secondary DC was down this morning. The secondary DC is not the file server that the home directory shares is on.

Thank Post

Re: offline files on but off.

They wont have processed the machine GP properly. The default is offline files on.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,564 Times in 1,248 Posts

There are group policies to do with Offline files which you should check out:

Computer Config > Admin Templates > Network > Offline Files

And

User Config > Admin Templates > Network > Offline Files

Once you've set these policies, run the following command: gpupdate /force on problematic workstations then reboot. Hope this helps.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,652 Times in 2,252 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Teth
    died due to "insuficient no paged memory" restart of the server sorted it but obviosuly there is a long term fix needed here not my current top priority tho.
    I know that this is not on your list of stuff to do but I have had that error caused by both exchange and lousy print drivers (Brother). If you are running exchange on that server you might want to run the Exchange Best Practices Analyzer on it http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en also check that the /3GB switch is on if you have more than 2GB of memory in the server.

The lousy print drivers that I mentioned were in the habit of using up all of the NP RAM via the print spooler service. I temporarily fixed this by scheduling a restart of that service every four hours.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread