+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Upgrading XP on Samsung NC10s in Technical; Ok it seems MS were serious this time Is anyone running Win7 on these old netbooks with their 1G of ...

Thank Post

Upgrading XP on Samsung NC10s

Ok it seems MS were serious this time

Is anyone running Win7 on these old netbooks with their 1G of RAM?

Or is 2G needed.

Just pricing up to give my heads all the options (most likely just going to try running a slim Linux distro with Internet and Open Office)

Simon

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    Ok it seems MS were serious this time

Is anyone running Win7 on these old netbooks with their 1G of RAM?

Or is 2G needed.

Just pricing up to give my heads all the options (most likely just going to try running a slim Linux distro with Internet and Open Office)

Simon
    We run x86 Win7 Pro on ours. along with a bunch of Tosh NB2xx netbooks too.
    It doesn't run well, even on the machines with 2Gb, but it's OK. Wetend to use them as a route into our terminal server farm instead of real machines. saves a lot of hassle. Then those desperate to use them at home can deal with the speed if they need to.

3. Thanks to TheMrB from:

SimpleSi (22nd April 2014)

Thank Post
    Chromium?

Thank Post
    We run a couple of sets of Samsung nc110s with 2GB RAM on Win 7pro and they run pretty well for browsing and simple MS Office work. They're the later model than yours I think with the dual core atom processor and they run noticeably better than some HP netbooks with an earlier series of atom processor. However I'd say that they still work well enough to be useful as windows clients on a domain, but would recommend the RAM upgrade.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I know you will hate this answer but Windows 8 may work better, it is way more memory efficient and should run considerably better on the hardware than Windows 7. I think there are rumors that 8.12 will have the start crutch back also to wind down on the irrational hate. That will also run everything, probably even the 16bit hash that is still kicking about as you'd probably have to run the 32bit version depending on the CPU.

They continue to improve the 8 memory stuff to, the next gen cheaper W8 tablets will be ale t be speced with 1GB and a 32gb SSD but it runs faster than 7 on a spinning disk too.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 22nd April 2014 at 03:16 PM.

Thank Post
    I like the oob thinking.
    Maybe I'll try one

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 934 Posts
    I have 7 Pro on mine but it has 2GB ram and its crawling now a days (it also has an SSD!), we had some at the school and put 7 enterprise on them and once they had word and IE open they were unusable really

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    I know you will hate this answer but Windows 8 may work better, it is way more memory efficient and should run considerably better on the hardware than Windows 7. I think there are rumors that 8.12 will have the start crutch back also to wind down on the irrational hate. That will also run everything, probably even the 16bit hash that is still kicking about as you'd probably have to run the 32bit version depending on the CPU.
    Haven't tried this on my netbooks but have put 8.1 on a very old laptop and it ran significantly faster than xp on the same machine, so sounds like a good call. With boot to desktop I find it doesn't take much learning to move from Win 7 to 8.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 731 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    I have 7 Pro on mine but it has 2GB ram and its crawling now a days (it also has an SSD!), we had some at the school and put 7 enterprise on them and once they had word and IE open they were unusable really
    Same here. Have W7 Enterprise on these and some Acer Ones. Using these is like watching pitch drop. No amount of RAM or SSD will hide the woeful Atom processors.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 851 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If you go to try Windows 8.1 I would use an updated 8.1 Update 1 image as I think update 1 included improvements for lower end hardware.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    If you go to try Windows 8.1 I would use an updated 8.1 Update 1 image as I think update 1 included improvements for lower end hardware.

Indeed, that was a bunch of the update as it was needed to target the 1gb platforms, the memory use in comparison to 7 is insanely lower, even rtm 8 used something like 45% less when viewing a bunch of web pages and having a word document open. There were also massive improvements in parallel service spin up and shutdowns are actually partial suspends where it hibernates services and the like to spin them up instantly on boot.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread