+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Exchange 2000 problems. in Technical; I am having some major problems this morning with my exchange 2000 box. I found the source of the problem ...
    Thank Post

Exchange 2000 problems.

I am having some major problems this morning with my exchange 2000 box. I found the source of the problem my external nic for routing of email had died. I have now replaced this with another nic. But now exchange services won't start MSexchangeSA service just shows up as stopping and am unable to kill it. Simple reboot won't fix the bugger either!

Thank Post

Re: Exchange 2000 problems.

Use the command line to stop the service - it'll probably fail. At this point you then kill the process using Task Manager. Do this for all the Exchange services.

Then you should be able to bring them all back up (in the correct order).

Also check that you have sufficient disk space and that there aren't loads of errors in the event logs.

BTW - I'll have you know that there was nowt wrong with that 10/100 NIC (when I installed it 3 years ago - after pulling it from a 5 year old machine)!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts

Take it Paul has a job at your old place of work then.....

Thank Post

i wouldn't like to say....

The reason I know how to restart the services is that I had a similar problem on my Exchange 2003 box yesturday. The services kept falling over. A quick reboot fixed it - most strange.

Thank Post

wondered how long it would be till you posted ric Have tried killing process under cmd then under processes as you say to no avail. rebooted numerous times and even tried to manually start services after disabling them in safe mode. No errors in paticular in event log only showed failure to start service. I had noticed a week priar to this though i could not get into any network connection settings server just froze - i still can't either!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by paul
    wondered how long it would be till you posted ric Have tried killing process under cmd then under processes as you say to no avail. rebooted numerous times and even tried to manually start services after disabling them in safe mode. No errors in paticular in event log only showed failure to start service. I had noticed a week priar to this though i could not get into any network connection settings server just froze - i still can't either!
    Any red error messages in event log (at all)? Could the database be a little iffy? Its not gone over its max size has it? I've only used exchange at home on a small scale before, but I'm moving over to it soon. Have you run a chkdsk btw?

Services that hang are usually more serious than a configuation issue as that would result in an error. The ones I mostly get are Ghost getting a deadlock on its console DB and my quota server (but thats fixed now it seems).

Its odd that a reboot doesn't help, it must be some vital part thats gone wrong. Just as a btw, you don't virus scan the M: drive do you? (unrelated but important fact for exchange 2000 :P).

Not a lot of help there, but I find the event log the most useful part of windows, ever. I think I might even like it more than group policy!

Maybe you could try disabling the NIC then starting exchange, then maybe even both (not that viable if the box isn't a dc/dns too).

Thank Post

@paul: You could try running the setup from the CD again and/or reapplying the service packs. Some kind of file corruption may have taken place or (God forbid) a virus may have borked it!

Thank Post

@Ric_: Have tried running the setup again to no avil crashes out half way through!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

You might want to backup your database and consider nuking the machine. When I've seen exchange stuff up majorly thats the only way to get it fixed.

Thank Post

Try backing up the database (you can use NTBACKUP for this) then uninstall Exchange completely. You can then re-install it from scratch - should be slightly less painful than nuking it!

Thank Post

Sorted problem, had to reinsatll and restore from backup. Anyhow not a real big problem as i blamed it on a certain individual in our science department put the cause down to a "dereferenced framing nmi" which they believed!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread