+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Windows Thread, RIP Windows XP (2001-2014) in Technical; Originally Posted by SYNACK let us hope that corporate and school IT will finally be pried away from the OS ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,630 Times in 1,938 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    let us hope that corporate and school IT will finally be pried away from the OS as a whiteware appliance model and actually keep pace.
    In the future, when most applications are web-based, we won't have to worry about old OSs.

Barking and Dagenham Council swaps XP desktops for Chromebooks Computer Weekly

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Devontechie View Post
    Wish I could say the same. I remember using windows 95! So a few years before XP!
    <Yorkshire accent>
    When I started, the only windows we had, were the ones in the wall. I did a fair swag of my early work using punched cards and something called "time sharing", where you could key in your programs directly.
    </Yorkshire accent>

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by unixman_again View Post
    <Yorkshire accent>
    When I started, the only windows we had, were the ones in the wall. I did a fair swag of my early work using punched cards and something called "time sharing", where you could key in your programs directly.
    </Yorkshire accent>
    It's sad, but if I tried to explain how my old Speccy or CPC worked to the current smartphone bashing generation I'm sure they'd look at me in the same way I'd look at you after reading that sentance - Man you're like well old!!! I've read about punchcards in the history books...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,270 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    In the future, when most applications are web-based, we won't have to worry about old OSs.

Oh there is still an OS, at least a local presentation layer which is a browser feature creeping its way into being a full - dirty word alert - Operating System but Google will never admit this as it is key to keeping their BS 'cloud' intact. Unfourtunatly the honest are probably going to be punished for not being 'all cloud all the time' but the browser has been trying to be a bastardized OS for about a decade now and is starting to manage it. Amusingly the chromebooks struggle more with some web content than their Windows and Linux counterparts despite a hardware advantage in some cases so work that one out.
    https://groups.google.com/forum/#!ms...4/fLkC5Nbq87gJ

Nothing is new it just has a better marketing budget, probably at the expense of engineering -> "lazy engineers never did anything but cost the company money and make the product that provides all of our incomes' - Marketing Department.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post

I hope for the users that the Citrix setup is more reliable than it was when I worked there many moons ago

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,374 Times in 1,671 Posts
    When I joined my first school, it was Windows 98 with a smattering of NT so I did support all that before I migrated the lot to XP.

Thank Post
    When I stared school there were Acorn's everywhere. I still use a RasPi with RISC OS on to our reception PowerPoint - just 'cos I can.

My admin machines are on Windows 7 along with staff laptops. Class Room desktops are XP until the summer. I was going to migrate them next week during Easter but due to three issues:

1) 25% of the curric software is 16 bit only and will not work. The newest was (c) 1999! Staff use this in lesson plans, so I have to wait for a new academic year to get rid of it.

2) It's assessment term after Easter and apparently a new "system" will cause the teachers so much "extra stress"

3) To avoid this "extra stress" it's better to do such a large change during the summer. Apparently teachers deal better with new things at the start of a new academic year.

And they are supposed to be educated, resourceful people

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,676 Times in 1,458 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trapper View Post
    When I stared school there were Acorn's everywhere. I still use a RasPi with RISC OS on to our reception PowerPoint - just 'cos I can.

My admin machines are on Windows 7 along with staff laptops. Class Room desktops are XP until the summer. I was going to migrate them next week during Easter but due to three issues:

1) 25% of the curric software is 16 bit only and will not work. The newest was (c) 1999! Staff use this in lesson plans, so I have to wait for a new academic year to get rid of it.

2) It's assessment term after Easter and apparently a new "system" will cause the teachers so much "extra stress"

3) To avoid this "extra stress" it's better to do such a large change during the summer. Apparently teachers deal better with new things at the start of a new academic year.

And they are supposed to be educated, resourceful people
    @Trapper 16-bit applications will run on 32 bit Windows 7.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,630 Times in 1,938 Posts
    What's going on in Ireland?

Windows XP use rises among Irish businesses

According to Statcounter, 9.2% of Irish PCs used Windows XP in June, up from 
8.7% in April.

Globally, 16% of desktop and laptop PCs continue to use the outdated operating system, although the figure is declining by about 0.5% each month.

Thank Post
    Maybe they needed to upgrade from windows 98?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345