+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 61 to 70 of 70
Windows Thread, RIP Windows XP (2001-2014) in Technical; ...
  1. #61


    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    51.403651, -0.515458
    Posts
    9,369
    Thank Post
    241
    Thanked 2,813 Times in 2,076 Posts
    Rep Power
    812
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    let us hope that corporate and school IT will finally be pried away from the OS as a whiteware appliance model and actually keep pace.
    In the future, when most applications are web-based, we won't have to worry about old OSs.

    Barking and Dagenham Council swaps XP desktops for Chromebooks « Computer Weekly

  2. #62

    unixman_again's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    820
    Thank Post
    34
    Thanked 159 Times in 119 Posts
    Rep Power
    139
    Quote Originally Posted by Devontechie View Post
    Wish I could say the same. I remember using windows 95! So a few years before XP!
    <Yorkshire accent>
    When I started, the only windows we had, were the ones in the wall. I did a fair swag of my early work using punched cards and something called "time sharing", where you could key in your programs directly.
    </Yorkshire accent>

  3. #63

    tmcd35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    5,848
    Thank Post
    874
    Thanked 939 Times in 776 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    Rep Power
    335
    Quote Originally Posted by unixman_again View Post
    <Yorkshire accent>
    When I started, the only windows we had, were the ones in the wall. I did a fair swag of my early work using punched cards and something called "time sharing", where you could key in your programs directly.
    </Yorkshire accent>
    It's sad, but if I tried to explain how my old Speccy or CPC worked to the current smartphone bashing generation I'm sure they'd look at me in the same way I'd look at you after reading that sentance - Man you're like well old!!! I've read about punchcards in the history books...

  4. #64

    SYNACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    11,239
    Thank Post
    882
    Thanked 2,742 Times in 2,316 Posts
    Blog Entries
    11
    Rep Power
    784
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    In the future, when most applications are web-based, we won't have to worry about old OSs.

    Barking and Dagenham Council swaps XP desktops for Chromebooks « Computer Weekly
    Oh there is still an OS, at least a local presentation layer which is a browser feature creeping its way into being a full - dirty word alert - Operating System but Google will never admit this as it is key to keeping their BS 'cloud' intact. Unfourtunatly the honest are probably going to be punished for not being 'all cloud all the time' but the browser has been trying to be a bastardized OS for about a decade now and is starting to manage it. Amusingly the chromebooks struggle more with some web content than their Windows and Linux counterparts despite a hardware advantage in some cases so work that one out.
    https://groups.google.com/forum/#!ms...4/fLkC5Nbq87gJ

    Nothing is new it just has a better marketing budget, probably at the expense of engineering -> "lazy engineers never did anything but cost the company money and make the product that provides all of our incomes' - Marketing Department.

  5. #65
    gshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    2,699
    Thank Post
    171
    Thanked 224 Times in 207 Posts
    Rep Power
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    In the future, when most applications are web-based, we won't have to worry about old OSs.

    Barking and Dagenham Council swaps XP desktops for Chromebooks « Computer Weekly
    I hope for the users that the Citrix setup is more reliable than it was when I worked there many moons ago

  6. #66

    witch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    11,190
    Thank Post
    1,454
    Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,750 Posts
    Rep Power
    755
    When I joined my first school, it was Windows 98 with a smattering of NT so I did support all that before I migrated the lot to XP.

  7. #67
    Trapper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    1,255
    Thank Post
    78
    Thanked 153 Times in 123 Posts
    Rep Power
    94
    When I stared school there were Acorn's everywhere. I still use a RasPi with RISC OS on to our reception PowerPoint - just 'cos I can.

    My admin machines are on Windows 7 along with staff laptops. Class Room desktops are XP until the summer. I was going to migrate them next week during Easter but due to three issues:

    1) 25% of the curric software is 16 bit only and will not work. The newest was (c) 1999! Staff use this in lesson plans, so I have to wait for a new academic year to get rid of it.

    2) It's assessment term after Easter and apparently a new "system" will cause the teachers so much "extra stress"

    3) To avoid this "extra stress" it's better to do such a large change during the summer. Apparently teachers deal better with new things at the start of a new academic year.

    And they are supposed to be educated, resourceful people

  8. #68

    FN-GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    16,215
    Thank Post
    893
    Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,529 Posts
    Blog Entries
    12
    Rep Power
    461
    Quote Originally Posted by Trapper View Post
    When I stared school there were Acorn's everywhere. I still use a RasPi with RISC OS on to our reception PowerPoint - just 'cos I can.

    My admin machines are on Windows 7 along with staff laptops. Class Room desktops are XP until the summer. I was going to migrate them next week during Easter but due to three issues:

    1) 25% of the curric software is 16 bit only and will not work. The newest was (c) 1999! Staff use this in lesson plans, so I have to wait for a new academic year to get rid of it.

    2) It's assessment term after Easter and apparently a new "system" will cause the teachers so much "extra stress"

    3) To avoid this "extra stress" it's better to do such a large change during the summer. Apparently teachers deal better with new things at the start of a new academic year.

    And they are supposed to be educated, resourceful people
    @Trapper 16-bit applications will run on 32 bit Windows 7.

  9. #69


    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    51.403651, -0.515458
    Posts
    9,369
    Thank Post
    241
    Thanked 2,813 Times in 2,076 Posts
    Rep Power
    812
    What's going on in Ireland?

    Windows XP use rises among Irish businesses

    According to Statcounter, 9.2% of Irish PCs used Windows XP in June, up from 
8.7% in April.

    Globally, 16% of desktop and laptop PCs continue to use the outdated operating system, although the figure is declining by about 0.5% each month.

  10. #70

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Northamptonshire
    Posts
    126
    Thank Post
    28
    Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Rep Power
    4
    Maybe they needed to upgrade from windows 98?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 39
    Last Post: 8th April 2014, 11:07 AM
  2. [Windows Software] Windows XP VLK Licensing Question (Imaging)
    By mmoseley in forum Licensing Questions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 14th February 2011, 04:27 PM
  3. [Windows Software] Windows XP as virtual machine
    By albertwt in forum Licensing Questions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 5th August 2010, 02:20 AM
  4. [Windows Software] Deploying Windows XP VM
    By albertwt in forum Licensing Questions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 5th April 2010, 08:29 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •