+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Windows Thread, RIP Windows XP (2001-2014) in Technical; Originally Posted by DocHouse I can top that the QE Hospital and most of South Birmingham NHS use XP... Sat ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DocHouse View Post
    I can top that the QE Hospital and most of South Birmingham NHS use XP... Sat admiring the old OS as I got beat up by the physio today. The odd thing is why would the QE which was built in 2011 have XP unless software won't run on newer version of windows?
    Most nhs run on xp.. I know that the local hospitals to me do. Guys & St thomas in london do!
    @glennda you beat me to it! Lol!
    Last edited by Devontechie; 8th April 2014 at 09:06 PM.

Thank Post
    I can see XP being used by people like the NHS for many years to come. It is just too much hassle to replace the OS in places such as that. The government will likely have to pay another 5 million next year, but that does seem quite a lot. Surely the government could employ someone or a group of people to create patches for them that would not cost 5M a year.

Thank Post
    Though most schools/colleges have managed it. Even with some of the high quality educational software we support.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spacebar View Post
    I can see XP being used by people like the NHS for many years to come. It is just too much hassle to replace the OS in places such as that. The government will likely have to pay another 5 million next year, but that does seem quite a lot. Surely the government could employ someone or a group of people to create patches for them that would not cost 5M a year.
    How would that work? The government don't have the source code and aren't the original developers. They'd be seriously disadvantaged doing it that way.

Not to mention, using Microsoft's pricing scheme, the price would double next year.

Replacing an OS is a hassle, sure, but supporting legacy systems is even more annoying and expensive.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Sorry... how many years have we all known XP support was going? We have had Windows 7 which has been pretty good for years too, ok it is no XP. There has been plenty of time to organise upgrading. It is a ridiculous situation

6. Thanks to GREED from:

Devontechie (9th April 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenlong1985 View Post
    The Hilton hotel by the NEC in Birmingham still uses windows XP
    So that´s how they managed not to receive my booking! Gotta chase that up when I get back from Brazil.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GREED View Post
    Sorry... how many years have we all known XP support was going? We have had Windows 7 which has been pretty good for years too, ok it is no XP. There has been plenty of time to organise upgrading. It is a ridiculous situation
    But as others have said - during times of cuts what has been the priority for the NHS - upgrading from XP or funding saving lives?

It is probably cheaper for the gov to pay 5.5m a year than it is to buy up to date licenses!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Agreed to a point. However... this means that they have machines that are ancient or when they buy new machines they are deliberately putting XP on there... and given the length of time since XP was essentially no longer on sale surely just about every PC has been changed since XP stopped being available...

Regardless, has no one in government stopped and thought... wait ignore I said that, I already know the answer!!! :/

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,632 Times in 1,939 Posts
    Memory lane: before everyone loved Windows XP, they hated it « Ars Technica

It wasn't meant to be this way. Windows XP, now no longer supported, wasn't meant to be popular. For all its popularity and sustained usage, people seem to have forgotten something important about it: it sucked.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,679 Times in 2,272 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    But as others have said - during times of cuts what has been the priority for the NHS - upgrading from XP or funding saving lives?

It is probably cheaper for the gov to pay 5.5m a year than it is to buy up to date licenses!
    I'm sure they use imaging and such along with ongoing support so it is highly likely that they are under a hug volume liscence anyway. It is just the usual shortsightedness that seems to accompany big installations and government.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,442 Times in 991 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Great article, as you'd expect from Ars.

I liked their companion piece as well: Looking at the Web with Internet Explorer 6, one last time | Ars Technica

Will anyone mourn the passing of IE6? Office 2003, yes, XP, apparently, but IE6...? Nah

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,375 Times in 1,672 Posts
    It has just occurred to me that I got into this business at the same time as XP started. Now it has finished...is the universe trying to tell me something?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    It has just occurred to me that I got into this business at the same time as XP started. Now it has finished...is the universe trying to tell me something?
    Same here... bugger...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GREED View Post
    Same here... bugger...

Wish I could say the same. I remember using windows 95! So a few years before XP!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,679 Times in 2,272 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You young people and your assumptions, I had the displeasure of being paid to support MacOS and Windows 98, of course I was just starting High school

It has been too long that the IT community has been allowed to sit idle and the world has suffered for it, let us hope that corporate and school IT will finally be pried away from the OS as a white ware appliance model and actually keep pace.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast