+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Windows Thread, RIP Windows XP (2001-2014) in Technical; Anyone???...

Thank Post
    Anyone???

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Any XP exploits that are also in Windows 7 (etc.) will be fixed in Windows 7 (etc.) so there shouldn't be too much risk of infection if you keep your machines updated.

I emailed all staff recommending they upgrade, disconnect their XP machines from the internet, or assume that they are compromised and all their data could be lost at a moment's notice. We've since recommended a few new machines to staff in the last fortnight! (The Zoostorms with dual-core Pentium & 4GB RAM + a Samsung 840 EVO 120GB + Win7 licence is a surprisingly cheap and competent option.)

Thank Post
    Upgrade to 7/8.1 .

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    Any XP exploits that are also in Windows 7 (etc.) will be fixed in Windows 7 (etc.) so there shouldn't be too much risk of infection if you keep your machines updated.

I emailed all staff recommending they upgrade, disconnect their XP machines from the internet, or assume that they are compromised and all their data could be lost at a moment's notice. We've since recommended a few new machines to staff in the last fortnight! (The Zoostorms with dual-core Pentium & 4GB RAM + a Samsung 840 EVO 120GB + Win7 licence is a surprisingly cheap and competent option.)
    I thought security updates where more for prevention then detect and delete so surely if an XP machine is infected with anything which is then bought over to a Windows 7 Machine that infected file will then still be able to run on Windows 7? Otherwise why would anyone need to get rid of XP as long as you have a Server 2008 R2 network?

Thank Post
    I've just set my Win 7 wallpaper to XP Bliss. It just seemed fitting on the Death Of XP Day....

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by abillybob View Post
    I thought security updates where more for prevention then detect and delete so surely if an XP machine is infected with anything which is then bought over to a Windows 7 Machine that infected file will then still be able to run on Windows 7? Otherwise why would anyone need to get rid of XP as long as you have a Server 2008 R2 network?
    Anti-virus is for prevention, and would delete a virus file before it could take hold. Security updates would close the hole that the virus takes advantage of, so it can't get its hook into the system and exploit privileges etc. A virus that would wreak havoc on an XP machine would be declawed on Windows 7, if MS have patched it.

Bear in mind that Windows 7 is fundamentally more secure than Windows XP as well thanks to its underlying architecture.

At the end of the day - if people have XP at home, what can you do? If you tell them not to bring memory sticks in from home anymore, that'll last a fortnight until they need to bring reports in, then they're not going to care about your network, they're only going to care about not having to retype those reports.

I've scaremongered to encourage upgrades, and to be honest, if a machine is old enough to have come with Windows XP it's old enough to make an upgrade worthwhile, but still - I'm essentially powerless to stop anything happening. Even if I could ban memory sticks, they'd get a virus that emailed itself to all contacts, including their work address, and then they'd open the attachment...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    Anti-virus is for prevention, and would delete a virus file before it could take hold. Security updates would close the hole that the virus takes advantage of, so it can't get its hook into the system and exploit privileges etc. A virus that would wreak havoc on an XP machine would be declawed on Windows 7, if MS have patched it.

Bear in mind that Windows 7 is fundamentally more secure than Windows XP as well thanks to its underlying architecture.

At the end of the day - if people have XP at home, what can you do? If you tell them not to bring memory sticks in from home anymore, that'll last a fortnight until they need to bring reports in, then they're not going to care about your network, they're only going to care about not having to retype those reports.

I've scaremongered to encourage upgrades, and to be honest, if a machine is old enough to have come with Windows XP it's old enough to make an upgrade worthwhile, but still - I'm essentially powerless to stop anything happening. Even if I could ban memory sticks, they'd get a virus that emailed itself to all contacts, including their work address, and then they'd open the attachment...

It's sad because it's true *sigh*

Thank Post
    The Hilton hotel by the NEC in Birmingham still uses windows XP

9. Thanks to stevenlong1985 from:

TheGoodGuy (10th April 2014)

Thank Post
    I remember thinking at the time I wouldn't be able to learn XP as my home PC was too old (1997 vintage in 2001) but then got hold of some scrap PC parts for the bare minimum spec... AMD K6 233, 64MB of SIMM (!) RAM, 2GB HDD and case sides made of sheet metal because the originals were missing. That machine ran pretty damn well for a good year or two until (lack of) disk space caught up with it

Thank Post
    I seem to remember downloading all the (then Whistler!) XP leaks. Many disliked the Fisher Price interface but when you were following the beta / RC process and that was suddenly introduced I was quite blown away by it all!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,675 Times in 1,458 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by googlemad View Post
    I seem to remember downloading all the (then Whistler!) XP leaks. Many disliked the Fisher Price interface but when you were following the beta / RC process and that was suddenly introduced I was quite blown away by it all!
    Windows was gray and boring for years, the blue interface was great.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    Windows was gray and boring for years, the blue interface was great.
    The XP Royale Noir black theme ripped from Windows XP Media Center Edition was much better though

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,628 Times in 1,938 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    The XP Royale Noir black theme ripped from Windows XP Media Center Edition was much better though
    The Watercolour theme (which was based on the theme Whistler came with) was pretty cool too.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenlong1985 View Post
    The Hilton hotel by the NEC in Birmingham still uses windows XP
    I can top that the QE Hospital and most of South Birmingham NHS use XP... Sat admiring the old OS as I got beat up by the physio today. The odd thing is why would the QE which was built in 2011 have XP unless software won't run on newer version of windows?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,134 Times in 1,030 Posts
    85% Of 800,000 NHS still are on XP (i'll see if i can find the source for this)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast