+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Windows Thread, RIP Windows XP (2001-2014) in Technical; Love the header image on the site today XP was fantastic, the first modern OS to my mind: stable, fast, ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,460 Times in 1,003 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Love the header image on the site today

XP was fantastic, the first modern OS to my mind: stable, fast, easy to use yet still tweakable and configurable and a great learning platform for budding techies but it is definitely its time to die. Windows 7 is a more than worthy successor to it.

Some perspective: Windows XP is 13 years old right now. You know what was 13 years old when XP came out? Windows 2.1.

2. 6 Thanks to sonofsanta:

AngryTechnician (8th April 2014), Dos_Box (8th April 2014), elsiegee40 (8th April 2014), GrumbleDook (8th April 2014), stevenlong1985 (8th April 2014), ZeroHour (8th April 2014)

Thank Post
    I don't get why they stopped doing Service Packs for Windows. Its the best way. I also think they should have done an XP SP4 at some point as there was so many updates after SP3 it gets silly, same with Windows 7 now, they need a Service Pack 2! .

You see all theses PC's running XP in the banks and on tills and they are more than likely going to get binned when they upgrade which is a waste and replaced with new PCs to do exactly what they were doing before , running the banks applications to get a task done.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    I don't get why they stopped doing Service Packs for Windows. Its the best way. I also think they should have done an XP SP4 at some point as there was so many updates after SP3 it gets silly, same with Windows 7 now, they need a Service Pack 2! .

You see all theses PC's running XP in the banks and on tills and they are more than likely going to get binned when they upgrade which is a waste and replaced with new PCs to do exactly what they were doing before , running the banks applications to get a task done.
    Problem is every OS has a life cycle and XP has without doubt exceeded that - mainly because Vista was badly received (comparatively), as well as a longer than expected development time. All this work paid off however, as we wouldn't have Windows 7 without Windows Vista and many people forget that.

Personally I don't think Service Packs are the answer either - they're too big, whereas these smaller updates (sort of an update rollup) makes more sense, plus you'd have a better naming system. Even if you ended up with Windows 8.1 Update 52 (down the line), it's easier than remembering KB12345678 and the many other 100's of updates!

Thank Post
    Ignoring that Windows ManyErrors was my first OS, I consider XP my first proper OS. Like @abillybob, it's where I learnt the ins and outs to start from and what started my adventure into this mad industry! While I will miss it dearly, it definitely needed to retire and I do think people/businesses need to accept it and move on - it's just not up to the task anymore.

I imagine it will be a few years yet 'til we see XP's "next-gen" cousin, but Windows 7 is filling in that void nicely for me right now

Thank Post
    Windows 7 I reckon is the "next" Windows XP - it's as reliable! And as easy to use!

I think XP definitely set the benchmark for 7.... I'm hoping 7 will be around as long as XP has been.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,194 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I suspect we shall see much less longentivity from the current batch of Microsofts OS's. Not particularly from a usability point of view, but from the leaps we are are now seeing in hardware technologies currently being introduced and developed.
    With XP it had the kernal hacked several times to allow for newer technologies such as wi-fi (a rarity when XP launched), but in the future an operating system may find itself obsolete with advances in storage, memory and communications.
    I support the new Microsoft ideal of more regular OS 'updates' as it makes more sense than releasing a whole new OS (ok, ok, we all know that there will be 'new' versions of Windows), just as long as they keep the price down as Apple do with their almost yearly updates.

Thank Post
    XP has been the best OS around in the last 13 years IMHO. Not perfect, but it endured.

Others have been and gone, but none had the staying power of XP.

It is now time for it to go, but like an old friend I will miss it with fond memories.

Thanks for getting something right Microsoft.

Andrew

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Blog Entries
    So how many here will qualify for the following deal negotiated by Crown Commercial Services?
    Custom Support | Crown Commercial Service

Thank Post
    MS have not said it publicly but they don't want to do service packs as it extends the support of the OS. Ideally Win7 should be in use for 4/5 years-ish then we should move onto Windows . There should be a cycle of upgrading to the OS XP to 7 and then 7 to 9. The software testing should take place continually so the OS upgrade isn't such a pain and alot of work. This is why XP has been such a pain because no body had to do OSD for 10 years. We shall see...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,494 Times in 1,935 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    So how many here will qualify for the following deal negotiated by Crown Commercial Services?
    Custom Support | Crown Commercial Service
    Pretty sure all public sector schools will be covered - as we're all covered by the MoU are we not?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Pretty sure all public sector schools will be covered - as we're all covered by the MoU are we not?
    It was more a reference to those with 250+ devices on XP needing a premier contract for support ... if we have any members with *that* many devices still on XP then they really do have an issue.

Yes, most will be covered and looking forward to hearing from the first member who contact CCS to ask for it all.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,494 Times in 1,935 Posts
    Blog Entries
    How many schools would admit that they have 250+ devices though...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I noticed this weekend that Marks & Spencers are using VISTA

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bondbill2k2 View Post
    I noticed this weekend that Marks & Spencers are using VISTA
    Ha Fail.

On another note what should we do regarding staff who have Office 2003 and Windows XP machines at home? I have a teacher that has an XP laptop and she does her work on that and brings it into the school via USB pen drive. Is this ok? I'd be really interested in how you guys are addressing these kind of problems??
    The XP laptop is her own personal machine and not owned by the school in anyway!

Thank Post
    I expect this is going to be a common problem. Not really sure what the best thing to do here is? Even if they keep their AV up to date they are going to be open to so many exploits over the next couple of months. I too would like to hear others thoughts on this....

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast