+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, VPN Setup on Windows 2003 R2 server in Technical; Hi I was wondering if anyone knows how to set up a VPN connection to a server so that i ...

Thank Post

VPN Setup on Windows 2003 R2 server

Hi

I was wondering if anyone knows how to set up a VPN connection to a server so that i can remote access it from home?

I have tried this over and over again but can't connect from home? Has anyone ever done this?

Thanks
    M

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: VPN Setup on Windows 2003 R2 server

Lots of times, what methods have you tried so far? RRAS (Routing and remote access) or DUN based single user mode. Also do you use ISA and what kind of firewalls do you have in the way?

Perhaps a better question what is your end goal, a single connection for yourself or a multi connection that can also be used by staff at a future date. We use VPNs at both schools that I work for for staff access as well.

Thank Post

For now i would like to set up so only i can VPN to the server but also set up once of the machine so that the headteacher can connect in to do their work. Is this possible?

I dont have any firewall apart from the Symantec Antivirus but obviously our connection goes through embc which has a proxy settings.

What do you think is the best way for me to set this up? Do you have any guidance to take this through with me? Can you help?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

The best way to do this would be to use the RRAS method http://www.ms-mvps.com/articles/mssetupvpn.htm there is a whole bunch of information on setting it up in the link above.

Setting up the software side is usually very easy and unlikely to cause problems. The usual issues occur with opening the right ports to the internet. Depending on how you are connected to the internet (I don't know what embc is unfortunately) either you if you are directly connected or someone at your LEA will have to set up port forwarding to allow port 1723 and ip protocol 47 GRE to connect to your remote access server.

If you are directly connected this will involve going into your router and finding a setting called port forwarding or virtual server and setting up these ports to point to your windows server ip. If your internet access is handled as part of a larger group of school you will need to talk to them about opening the required ports.

This information is tor the PPTP variety of VPN which is slightly less secure but a lot easier to set up than the L2TP IPSec type.

Thank Post

Use RRAS. Its easy to setup and I seem to remember that MS provide a step by step guide for the setup too.

You'll need to email EMBC to get an external IP. You'll also need to tell them what type of VPN you're using so they can add your server to the appropriate firewall rule(s).

Thank Post

Thank Post

I have set up log me in on the server today. will try from home tonight and it seems that it might be the best option and easy to setup.

what happens when the trial finishes? Can you revert to a free version? How limited are you on the free version?

Thank Post

i think the trial is for the extras that comes with logmein, i think the remote access part stay available.
    but i am not 100% sure.

Thank Post

The trial/pro version has extras such as file transfers and printer mapping, the free version is fine for remote control purposes although you can only have 5 pc's/servers on each account.

It should work through EMBC, it certainly does at the schools I support with embc anyway

I havent found many LEA provided networks that don't allow logmein through although some do block the url unfourtunatly.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 934 Posts

The trial just looses the pro features and continues to work without you noticing any difference. TBH I never had a need to use the pro stuff anyway

Thank Post

Another strike for Log Me In! I use this on a variety of machines, it's free and simple to setup and use.

I do however feel VPN has its place; personally I use Log Me In for most remote sites and personal use. For my main place of work, we have VPN setup so certain staff and I can VPN in on our laptops and use network resources, applications and so forth.

In education generally speaking institutions have 'Application Servers', which for my place anyhow, has millions of educational resources for staff/students. VPN allows for these applications to be used from the standard user interface our staff are familiar with.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

As stated above VPNs allow greater utilization of existing infrastructure. They are also directly under your control and do not rely on the technology(servers) or honesty of a third party. Other than your 'friendly' OS manufacturer of course

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread