+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Windows Thread, Government pays MS to keep XP going for another year in Technical; ...

Thank Post

Government pays MS to keep XP going for another year

Last edited by edutech4schools; 3rd April 2014 at 12:51 PM.

Thank Post
    How do schools get these updates after April 8th?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,047 Times in 804 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Wow.

I think my words are "Stop wasting money on Microsoft, spend it getting schools up to scratch in the first place"
    Why on earth are they fighting fires rather than fixing the root causes? Ridiculous.

Thank Post
    It's nothing to do with schools really, I bet the vast majority of us are on Win7 now. It's more internal govt departments and the NHS for which upgrading windows will be a ginormous(ly expensive) job with lots of planning required. We all know the govt’s track record on planning large scale IT projects!! It’s easier for them to bury their head in the sand and pay MS through the nose. I guarantee this will not be a one year deal – they’ll keep paying MS for at least the next 3 years, probably 5.

Thank Post
    Yeah, how do we access this... I have to cope with XP for another 6 months!

Thank Post
    I still have student laptops on XP - mainly because they wont run Win7 and we cant afford to replace them.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fiza View Post
    I still have student laptops on XP - mainly because they wont run Win7 and we cant afford to replace them.
    likewise, so if we can be supported for longer until we have funds then I'm happy

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Well whoever runs these systems should be sacked... this has been in the public domain for years now and now they're going to rush through upgrades in 12 months. Brilliant plan!

9. Thanks to Michael from:

synaesthesia (3rd April 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,047 Times in 804 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Exactly this. As our current desktop wallpaper states "Fail to Prepare, Prepare to Fail"

Perhaps they should fire a few million in the direction of someone like Capita to sort out systems for the NHS an.... oh, right.

Thank Post
    If the government can afford XP support they need to spend the money on moving to 7/8.1 . @fiza You can do it but its $200 per pc and you must have a migration plan in place. I think you also need a enterprise agreement.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Almost all of this down to the Management and Network Managers - This has been known about for half a decade. Machines that don't run 7 should have been replaced, and the NM equivalents should have been advising senior management on replacement schedules. Finance isn't there? Well we will have to reduce our machine count.

No excuses for it really, and efficient planning with adequate funding saves money in the longer term (not just in capital purchase, but in productivity time as well).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Well whoever runs these systems should be sacked... this has been in the public domain for years now and now they're going to rush through upgrades in 12 months. Brilliant plan!
    In services with a budget, then I agree with you, but there are a lot of people whose hands are tied by senior management. I was in discussions with people to make the switch 2 years ago, but I've been constantly told that there wasn't the necessity/money to do anything.

I've just (as in last 4 hours) been told that I can now submit nearly 90k of purchase order for 3 new servers, 24tb of EMC san, consulting and migration. then in a few weeks time I can sign off on 50k of new PCs and 20k of infrastructure upgrades.

I 'blame' the media coverage of the demise of XP for the change of heart.

Thank Post
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/02...ended_support/

#########################

Fees for this special protection start at $200 per desktop for the first year, going up to $400 in the second and $800 in the third year.

Only 1 million PCs to worry about... and that's JUST the NHS

The NHS in England alone has 1.086 million PCs and laptops running Windows XP at trusts, GPs and other health groups. The National Health Service in Scotland will be contending with 3,603.

###############################

I think that a lot of the problems are being caused by custom built applications that aren't compatible with Win 7. Still no excuse...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Ben View Post
    Almost all of this down to the Management and Network Managers - This has been known about for half a decade. Machines that don't run 7 should have been replaced, and the NM equivalents should have been advising senior management on replacement schedules. Finance isn't there? Well we will have to reduce our machine count.

No excuses for it really, and efficient planning with adequate funding saves money in the longer term (not just in capital purchase, but in productivity time as well).
    In my defence - I only joined the school 18 months ago. No NM in place before that ever! For the last 18 months have said we need to replace and upgrade. Did all the desktop upgrades to 7 but no money for renewing laptops (as current ones wont run 7) but we cant do without the laptops so hence we are stuck on XP until money becomes available.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oaktech View Post
    In services with a budget, then I agree with you, but there are a lot of people whose hands are tied by senior management. I was in discussions with people to make the switch 2 years ago, but I've been constantly told that there wasn't the necessity/money to do anything.

I've just (as in last 4 hours) been told that I can now submit nearly 90k of purchase order for 3 new servers, 24tb of EMC san, consulting and migration. then in a few weeks time I can sign off on 50k of new PCs and 20k of infrastructure upgrades.

I 'blame' the media coverage of the demise of XP for the change of heart.
    I'd also agree what you said in principle, but the EOL has been published by Microsoft for over 5 years. Realistically, it just isn't going to be possible to migrate the remaining 85% of the NHS in 12 months without spending more money buying in additional people and expertise.

17. Thanks to Michael from:

Oaktech (3rd April 2014)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast