+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Thread, QuickTime Deployment in Technical; Morning all We have a few bits of crapware which require QuickTime to function correctly, I've got the 7.7.5 msi's ...

Thank Post

QuickTime Deployment

Morning all

We have a few bits of crapware which require QuickTime to function correctly, I've got the 7.7.5 msi's and a nice batch file but it's not having it. Quicktime.msi moans that the Quicktime.cab is corrupt - install the files seperately, and you're fine! But do it from this batch and it won't have it.

If any of you have managed it, how do you get this awful software to install silently either through SCCM or GPO?

Cheers

Thank Post
    What MSIs are you using, as when I extract the exe there isn't any cab files. Just three seperate MSIs which all install fine

Steve

Thank Post
    Do you have the Apple Application Support MSI installed? When we rolled out Quicktime here, we were getting an error until that MSI was installed also, you should be able to extract it from the setup exe.

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,348 Times in 926 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We use SCCM to deploy our packages [including QuickTime]

Here is our Assign batch file:

Code:
    @echo off
    pushd %~sdp0

start /wait msiexec.exe /i "QuickTime.msi" /qn /norestart
    start /wait msiexec.exe /i "QuickTime 7.7 Settings Package.msi" /qn /norestart
    This is what we have in the Packages/QuickTime folder on SCCM:

HTH.

DaveP.
    Last edited by DaveP; 2nd April 2014 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Correct a spelling mistake in the post.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,214 Times in 761 Posts
    I think I remember this.

If you open the QuickTime.msi in Orca or InstEd and look in the Summary Table page, I think you'll see that there are multiple language codes in the Languages field, separated by commas. This is non-standard for MSIs. Remove all except 1033 and save a new copy of the MSI, and it should deploy.

Normally I would never recommend saving changes directly to the MSI itself, but you can't modify the summary table using a transform.

Thank Post
    I extract the MSI's in Quicktime and use the following script:

msiexec /i "%~dp0QuickTime.msi" /passive /norestart DESKTOP_SHORTCUTS=NO SCHEDULE_ASUW=0 ASUWINSTALLED=0
    msiexec /i "%~dp0AppleApplicationSupport.msi" /passive /norestart

I recently tried updating my SCCM deployment of Quicktime to 7.7.5 and it would fail. I've just stuck with 7.7.4 and this works ok.
    Last edited by Vasriel; 2nd April 2014 at 10:29 AM.

Thank Post
    Steve - I pulled them out of the temp folder (I think, it was a while back I extracted them)... no cab files indeed! ]

jb - yeah, although in the batch file I have the support msi runs after the Quicktime, maybe it should run before?

Dave - much more advanced than what I have got but the batch file is doing things in the same order? Have you installed the app support seperately to Quicktime in that package?

Cheers

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,348 Times in 926 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Homer View Post
    ...Dave - much more advanced than what I have got but the batch file is doing things in the same order? Have you installed the app support seperately to Quicktime in that package?

Cheers
    This is the package that was created by our LEA after visualising our servers so I am not sure how it works right now. I will get to understand it when the time comes to update QuickTime [Hoping that using the same structure in the batch file works for the next version!]

There is no other QuickTime package on the server.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    We use SCCM to deploy or packages [including QuickTime]

I would suggest this as well.

Thank Post
    We did have problems when we installed Quicktime before the Apple Application Support software, I would swap it around in the batch file so the support msi installs first.

Thank Post
    My batch, from the 3 msi's previously mentioned, also deletes schtask updater.
    msiexec /i QuickTime.msi /qn DESKTOP_SHORTCUTS=NO SCHEDULE_ASUW=0 ASUWINSTALLED=0 /norestart
    msiexec /i AppleSoftwareUpdate.msi /qn /norestart
    msiexec /i AppleApplicationSupport.msi /qn /norestart
    schtasks /delete /tn "Apple\AppleSoftwareUpdate" /f
    Last edited by nfg_118822; 15th April 2014 at 05:17 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    I think I remember this.

If you open the QuickTime.msi in Orca or InstEd and look in the Summary Table page, I think you'll see that there are multiple language codes in the Languages field, separated by commas. This is non-standard for MSIs. Remove all except 1033 and save a new copy of the MSI, and it should deploy.

Normally I would never recommend saving changes directly to the MSI itself, but you can't modify the summary table using a transform.
    Basically this.
    You need quicktime and apple application installed and modify the MSI's to that they only install english (think Chinese is the default) and it should work.

Thank Post
    Has anyone been successful in getting 7.7.5 to deploy from SCCM? My batch file looks as follows -

Code:
    @echo off
    msiexec /i "%~dp0AppleApplicationSupport.msi" /qn
    msiexec /i "%~dp0QuickTime.msi" /qn
    REM Removes Auto Launch from registry
    reg delete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run" /v "QuickTime Task" /f
    REM Return exit code to SCCM
    exit /B %EXIT_CODE%
    From what I can gather the ApplicationSupport MSI is installing fine then everything stops and SCCM reports it as 'Installed' but Quicktime isn't on. If i run the .bat file again QuickTime installs. Any ideas?

Thank Post
    Just to update you all seems what I had was probably correct, but I was still trying to deploy an older version of the script that had the ApplicationSupport and QuickTime MSI's the other way round. Once i'd realised this and updated my distribution points, it's working fine with the below.

Code:
    @echo off
    msiexec /i "%~dp0AppleApplicationSupport.msi" /qn
    msiexec /i "%~dp0QuickTime.msi" /qn DESKTOP_SHORTCUTS=NO SCHEDULE_ASUW=0 ASUWINSTALLED=0
    REM Removes Auto Launch from registry
    reg delete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run" /v "QuickTime Task" /f
    REM Return exit code to SCCM
    exit /B %EXIT_CODE%

Thank Post
    Hey all, I've been running into the same thing (trying to silently install first AppleApplicationSupport then QuickTime, but the QuickTime installer failing complaining about a possible corrupt cab).

Essentially, I've done the following on a fresh Win7SP1 (x64) box - downloaded the latest (7.75.80.95) QuickTime installer for x64, extracted it with 7Zip and pulled out "AppleApplicationSupport.msi" and "QuickTime.msi".

If you attempt to install first "AppleApplicationSupport.msi" AND suppress a reboot, then install "QuickTime.msi", you get the error about the cab file. If you allow a restart to happen in between AppleApplicationSupport and QuickTime, QuickTime installs just fine.

Try manually running these two commands on a fresh Win7SP1 (x64) install with the above mentioned MSI's and I can guarantee you'll get the error.

msiexec /i "AppleApplicationSupport.msi" reboot=suppress /qb
    Then, without rebooting....
    msiexec /i "QuickTime.msi" /qb

I can pretty much guarantee you'll get the error, which sucks, because in an MDT lite touch deployment scenario, the (apparently necessary) reboot caused by the install of AppleApplicationSupport causes the "Dirty Environment" Y/N prompt after the restart, which can hold up the lite touch process unnecessarily until someone comes by to click "No".

If someone can figure out how to install those two things in sequence *without a reboot*, I'll be eternally grateful!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast