+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Thread, Old Netbook Fresh build - Windows 8/SSD? in Technical; I'm put a few posts on over the last couple of months relating to my wife's Acer Aspire One which ...

Thank Post

Old Netbook Fresh build - Windows 8/SSD?

I'm put a few posts on over the last couple of months relating to my wife's Acer Aspire One which has been running like a dog lately. I've tried changing the AV and problems still persist so this weekend I was going to re-install windows from scratch. It was fine for her originally so the spec of the machine must be OK so I was just going to re-install Windows 7 but I got thinking could I do anything to make an old netbook any better. I can't afford to buy a new machine so I though with the price of SSD dropping maybe an upgrade would make a good option. She is mainly an internet user, using it for shopping/facebook/skype etc so I'm not sure how much of a boost an SSD would make?

I was also wondering if I could put Windows 8.1? Would I be wasting my time/money trying to get an SSD and Windows 8 onto it? Should I just rebuild it with Windows 7? Suggestions.

Thank Post
    the atom cpu probably won't run Windows 8

3. Thanks to chazzy2501 from:

penfold (28th March 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chazzy2501 View Post
    the atom cpu probably won't run Windows 8
    I thought I'd read online of others who had installed Windows 8 on it. Must have been a different model.

Thank Post
    What resolution does the netbook support? I know Windows 8's new Metro does not support the res a lot netbooks can do (At least at launch)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 797 Posts
    Depending on the screen resolution, Windows 8 will be crippled as no 'Modern' app can run below 1024x768: System requirements - Microsoft Windows

I'd say throw Linux distro on there - it'll do everything you listed, it's free and it's a lot quicker than Windows in a low memory environment: 12 great Linux operating systems for netbooks « Everyday Linux User

Personally, I have Xubuntu on my old Samsung netbook

Thank Post
    Id rather bin it and buy a tablet than suffer a netbook with linux.

Thank Post
    The screen res is too low as it's 1024x600 but doesn't that just mean the apps won't work but the rest of the OS would be fine? Although I had read there was some reg edits that could enable the metro screen.

I thought about putting a Linux OS on there but it would need to look like windows otherwise it "wouldn't be as good" and I've only dabbled with Linux a while ago so if she couldn't do something I'm not sure I could sort it quickly.

So would an SSD be a bit pointless also?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Galway View Post
    Id rather bin it and buy a tablet than suffer a netbook with linux.
    Those of us without money to burn would happily take the free OS for light browsing I think

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    Those of us without money to burn would happily take the free OS for light browsing I think
    Im sure his wife, who has already borked a win7 install, will take to linux like a duck to water.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,940 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by penfold View Post
    I thought about putting a Linux OS on there but it would need to look like Windows otherwise it "wouldn't be as good"
    What about Elementary OS and make it look like a Mac?

Thank Post
    Was going to say that put a linux on it. I did it at work, when teachers were complaining that something was too slow... They're too afraid to do anything else than use internet on it.

Thank Post
    If it was mine I'd reinstall windows 7 and get an ssd or another stick of ram if it can take it.

Thank Post
    Both SSD and Win8.
    We are trialing Win 8.1 on a netbook and OK it's not perfect, but it works well and seems very responsive. This is on an Atom chip and 2Gb of Ram but with a normal HDD at the moment.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Galway View Post
    Im sure his wife, who has already borked a win7 install, will take to linux like a duck to water.
    To be fair, for just web browsing (as most netbooks seem to get used for) I have found that shoving it on non-techies machine resulted in less problems - can't fill it full of crapware if the installer won't run

OK, so it's security through obscurity but sometimes I just want an easy life!

Thank Post
    Personally I wouldn't bother with putting in an SSD, I tried this in an old RM 210 netbook (Intel Atom N455, 2GB Ram) last week and tested it side by side with an identical machine (both were re-imaged Win 7 Pro at the same time) and the result was that the SSD was only a few seconds quicker at loading Windows and programs. In fact I discovered that disabling the Symantec AV made the non-SSD netbook a lot faster than the SSD one, so now considering what AV program we could use as a better alternative to Symantec (Just Windows Defender perhaps). The Netbook has been tried with Win 8 as well and although it sort of works there is still the problem of it being limited to 1024x600 so wouldn't run the apps from the metro screen without editing the registry, then they looked awful. Everything seemed to work OK from the desktop though. Hope this helps.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast