+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Windows Thread, Windows Server 2008 in Technical; As MS have said they will licence Hyper-v for around $30 i can't see why they're releasing with and without ...
    Thank Post

Re: Windows Server 2008

As MS have said they will licence Hyper-v for around $30 i can't see why they're releasing with and without versions it's just rediculous. I have read that the datacenter version can be licenced now rather than having to buy it through a hardware provider which is sort of interesting but they need to cut out a few versions. I think SBS is a great packate though one of the better placed MS products.

We generally use 2k3 standard here enterprise isn't worth the extra money unless you need a large terminal or exchange server. I'm hoping to see better hardware support for x64 in the near future as the performance seems far superior to 32bit.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by torledo
    I can see some of the advantages of the current SBS edition but it's just slightly useful as a cheap way of buying a packaged version of w2k3.
    I beg to differ my learned friend, SBS Rocks, it has near cult status.
    It is however the sprat to catch the mackerel.
    It gives any small business the chance to operate as if it were a major corporate.
    All the usual stuff but with SQL, ISA, Remote access, push email, fax server you just can't knock it.

I have installed loads of SBS boxes and they just keep going and going and going.
    SBS (Single Box Solution) as it is touted in the community gets more small and startup businesses on the Microsoft wagon than any other product and the all 64bit 2008 version (Cougar) is eagerly awaited by all us SBS fanatics.

Still completely useless however, if your business grows beyond 75 users as the only way out is via the "Transition Pack" which lets you buy yourself out of the SBS into a fully paid up server and the required client CALS.

Then it works out only marginally cheaper than if you went down the regular route in the first place, but of course you have all of the labour costs of performing the transition on top.

As SBS2003 approaches end of life MS and the OEM's are throwing copies of it out to potential end users for nothing or almost nothing!
    HP have been doing a 5 user SBS deal with Cash Back offer on the OS if you buy it with a new server.

Bring it on! SBS 2008 can't wait! Ker'ching Ker'ching..... now where's that holiday brochure?

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster
    We generally use 2k3 standard here enterprise isn't worth the extra money unless you need a large terminal or exchange server.
    Or unless you need to cluster. That's the EE killer feature, after all with 1 and 2U 2 socket boxes now the dominant server type in the data centre clustering your SQL or Exchange boxes is a great way to get excellent fault tolerance.

I knew SBS had a bit of a following, but couldn't understand why thanks for enlightening me m25man, Might have to download a trial of the new 2008 edition to see what all the fuss is about.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,270 Posts
    Blog Entries

SBS if fine so long as you install it and leave it. If you dare to try something like move email off onto a differnet server or move your domain onto a newer server which also runs SBS it becomes a hideous undocumented monster that will consume hours of time and probably take years off your life.

It is a good product but its integration makes it very delicate and very picky about where it exists.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK
    SBS becomes a hideous undocumented monster that will consume hours of time and probably take years off your life
    And as if that would worry you!
    You have probably added 20 years to yours by living down there!

What's a matter with you man can't you sleep!!!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

@m25man

Yea kind of, I got some pretty flexible hours so I was just tidying up some system maintenance stuff before Monday morning, that way I can just take the morning off.

This way they don't get any interruption of service and I can sleep in in a big way tomorrow/today

Thank Post

How cool is that, we are doing exactly the same things on the opposite sides of the world at the same time!

I love this job!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries

Cool? I stayed up late on Thursday to have a 4 way vidconf between Colorado, Melbourne and Maine ... we finished at 2.30am on Friday ... at least next time it will be others staying up late!

Thank Post

Yes that's very true do you run any clusters yourself then?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Sweet, it is good to know that I am not alone in my work habits. Back partially at least on topic we have just ordered a license of 2003 enterprise for our new filtering server as it has 8 CPU cores and Standard unhelpfully stops at 4.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster
    As MS have said they will licence Hyper-v for around $30 i can't see why they're releasing with and without versions it's just rediculous.
    I suspect that they're releasing it like that to keep the hoardes of lawyers from their doors. If they released something like HyperV bundled with the OS, they're just asking for another antitrust lawsuit from the likes of VMWare. At least if they charge a nominal fee for it, they can say that they're not giving it away.

Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK
    Sweet, it is good to know that I am not alone in my work habits. Back partially at least on topic we have just ordered a license of 2003 enterprise for our new filtering server as it has 8 CPU cores and Standard unhelpfully stops at 4.
    Microsoft CPU licencing is done per socket, not per core. You can use up to four quad core CPUs in a standard server and you'd still be able to use all 16 cores.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Norphy
    Microsoft CPU licencing is done per socket, not per core. You can use up to four quad core CPUs in a standard server and you'd still be able to use all 16 cores.
    Thanks, thats strangely sensible of them I will cancel that order when I get back into work as for the moment we don't really have the resources to implement clustering.

Enterprise does have better certificate management features though such as automatic assignment of user certificates via Group policy. We use the same distribution method for machine certs now which luckily MS decided to include in standard.

Thank Post

Well the current status is were on RC1, I know that as
    I know that too because they put RC1 up for public download last week.

But there's only so much time in the day for installing/configuring another release (twice each time, because I keep doing a Core as well). Do you know if anything worth looking at has changed since RC0?

Thank Post

unless you need a large terminal or exchange server
    Haven't looked too hard at why, but MS say 8GB is about tops for E2K7 which is well within the X64 Standard edn. limit.

I know nothing about large TS, but imagine the limiting factor might be the 2GB kernel mode address space. If that is true how far can you push users/memory size before that starts hurting? If that's not true, what's the story?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PiqueABoo
    I know nothing about large TS, but imagine the limiting factor might be the 2GB kernel mode address space. If that is true how far can you push users/memory size before that starts hurting? If that's not true, what's the story?
    Larger implementations are usually handled by VMWare ESX server which runs as the host operating system itself rather than relying on a windows or linux installation to handle memory management and hardware. This mitigates the limits of 32bit memory addressing that you are talking about.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast