+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Windows Thread, Windows Server 2008 in Technical; Remember, wait for SP1 Yeah I've been arguing that for E2K7 but that was because a) you lost functionality relative ...

Thank Post

Re: Windows Server 2008

Remember, wait for SP1
    Yeah I've been arguing that for E2K7 but that was because a) you lost functionality relative to E2K3, b) when Exchange breaks, it sometimes does that rather well. I'm not so sure for Server.

W2K3 no SP has been fairly solid e.g. RM skipped SP1 for all their CC3 boxes and went direct to SP2 in early summer. I personally got hurt by that (someone's CC3 box had a very exotic serious issue that took truckloads of time to find and had been [bleeping] fixed by SP1), but as systems go it was well-behaved.

The bits of W2K8 you really care about are mature tech not complete rewrites. So far for me, many of the new bits just work and I want them yesterday:

- Being able to routinely stop AD to run an integrity check or whatever on the database (as opposed to having to wait until 5PM a week on Tue to restart in AD restore mode).

- Task Scheduler - the multiple triggers (inc. Event log events), actions, conditions etc. Serious 2K8 admins, especially those with lots of servers to care for, will be able to do a lot of very useful magic here.

- The host firewalling. F/W console looks like a proper one & the holes for different "server roles" not opened until you install the role.

- Server Core. Even if that idiot figures out how the talk to the box they still won't be able to install all the usual dross they use to break critical servers (before breaking it even more trying to fix it).

- Remote Application talking RDP over TLS into a TS Gateway, subjected to connection & resource policies before being relayed to a TS. Easy to setup, works as advertised.

-Server Manager where you're supposed to do pretty much all your routine config/admin (and can do some extremely geeky monitoring/diags) is actually quite good.

Vista Explorer and the 57 varieties of Event log is horrible though. Still slowly working through the other bits.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 934 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster
    The server products tend to be far more stable on release. I remember being just about to migrate a network from NT4 to 2k server when 2k3 was released, we decided to go for it rather than endure the pain of another major upgrade and it's was plain sailing 2k3 seemed to be very stable from release. The biggest problems are usually 3rd party application compatibility in the early days but if you're using an inbuilt MS technology you should be fine
    I did exactly that, was about to order the 2000 media, and though oh what the heck, go straight to 2003, and it was perfect, worked flawlessly.

Thank Post

2k3 server is the best Windows version by far IMHO.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,602 Times in 1,278 Posts

I would agree with you cookie_monster

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour
    Server 2008 is due in February 2008 I believe.
    That february date is going to be a RTM release announcement at most.

Agree with other comments that server releases are normally fairly reliable straight off the bat, particularly with 2008 which will be available after the release of SP1 and in all likelihood after XP SP3 (which is to have some server 2008 specific features).

What news of the built-in virtualization features ? Is that now to be a seperate product released at a later date ?

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Michael
    I would agree with you cookie_monster
    tbh I didn't see server 2003 as a massive improvement over win2k. w2k3 with R2 added some xp sp2 specific features and a few other things but they were mainly small incremental improvements.

win2k server I also found very reliable.

With win2008 and the new deployment and thin client features they're really throwing down the gauntlet to the likes of symantec and citrix by saying to users, look you don't need thirdparty apps like ghost solutions suite or citrix presentation server, we now do that out of the box.

Ofcourse they'd also like to do the same to the 800-pound vm gorilla EMC but VI3 is just to mature a product to displace with some vague promises of a virtualization bolt-on. They've already failed miserably with Virtual Server. But let's wait and see what comes out of redmonnd. I personally think 2008 is going to be overall a timely improvement on w2k3 which has been starting to show it's age in some areas. There's no way they can get 2008 as wrong as they did with Vista. With Vista they tried to appease all camps, home user, power user, business user, entertainment user. The result was a hideous interface, more features left out than in, and more product versions than anyone needs. They can't make the same mistakes with 2008 because no-one gives a toss about the bells and whistles and there's only the sysadmin community to appease. And that means, shock horrow, they've announced some useful features of the new OS.

Thank Post

Hyper-V has been held off but i think it might arrive before SP1, it certainly will be an SP1 feature. There will also be a standalone product aparently for only $30.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/default.mspx

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by torledo

Agree with other comments that server releases are normally fairly reliable straight off the bat, particularly with 2008 which will be available after the release of SP1 and in all likelihood after XP SP3 (which is to have some server 2008 specific features).

What news of the built-in virtualization features ? Is that now to be a seperate product released at a later date ?
    Which means it will become available for business and agreement customers. Thats what happens normally...

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster
    Hyper-V has been held off but i think it might arrive before SP1, it certainly will be an SP1 feature. There will also be a standalone product aparently for only $30.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/default.mspx
    Thanks for the info, but if you at the comparison page it appears they'll be nine different versions of 2008. Four of the say 'without Hyper-V'. The whole thing is laughable, and I can't believe they're revisting the idea of a 'web server edition'. Why do they need a sepeate edition ? I thought that was the purpose of server core.

They just have no clue how to best package their products. They need two or three versions at most. Windows Standard, Windows Enterprise and Windows for Itanium. Not even sure we need Windows standard anymore.

I have difficulty believing people are still buying datacenter edition. Windows doesn't scale well beyond 8 sockets, and I'm not even sure there was anyone left selling 8+ processor boxes that couldn't also run Unix. You'd have to be insane to devote more than 8 processors of your expensive itanium refridgerator to a single instance of Windows!!!!!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by localzuk

Which means it will become available for business and agreement customers. Thats what happens normally...
    Is that what Manufacuring means in Microsoft world ? Why can't they just use the term RTB (oh wait, that has a different connotation that microsoft might not be all to pleased about )

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Is that what Manufacuring means in Microsoft world ? Why can't they just use the term RTB (oh wait, that has a different connotation that microsoft might not be all to pleased about )
    Yep, take a look at this.

When they RTM'd Vista that was the same as RTB.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 934 Posts

Well the current status is were on RC1, I know that as I've been part of the MS Closed Beta for months, so thats the latest update.

As for the Hyper-V, as has been said there is going to be With and Without Hyper-V releases. So its going to be as fun and complex as Vista is with versions Don't forget there adding to the Small Business Server a Medium Business Server as well now, so we will have Small, Medium, Standard, Enterprise, DataCentre, Universe, Globalsoft and probably some others as well, all in 3 different flavours - 32bit, 64bit and Itanium

Confused, you should be

Thank Post

MS Will be showcasing Server 2008 at CeBit 2008 on the 4th March.
    Bill will be there and so will I.

He will be evangelising the benefits and productivity advantages of the new OS and courting the worlds computer press.
    I however will be emptying the contents of the Beer Keller, listening to the Oompah Band, eating pig's trotters and visiting the late night emporiums of ill repute in the Kropke area of Hanover City Center.

CeBit runs from Tuesday 4th March to Sunday, and contains 26 Halls each about the size of the Bett Show!

Microsoft always like to use one of these world focus expo's to promote a product and the timing of this one appears to be fairly co-ordinated so I would expect to see Server 2008 to be well shrink wrapped and on the way to distribution by then.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by john
    Well the current status is were on RC1, I know that as I've been part of the MS Closed Beta for months, so thats the latest update.

As for the Hyper-V, as has been said there is going to be With and Without Hyper-V releases. So its going to be as fun and complex as Vista is with versions Don't forget there adding to the Small Business Server a Medium Business Server as well now, so we will have Small, Medium, Standard, Enterprise, DataCentre, Universe, Globalsoft and probably some others as well, all in 3 different flavours - 32bit, 64bit and Itanium

Confused, you should be
    John

Are you serious about the Universe and Globalsoft editions ? Or are you just highlighting the stupidity of Microsoft.

If they do plan those editions, what on earth are they for ?

I can see some of the advantages of the current SBS edition but it's just slightly useful as a cheap way of buying a packaged version of w2k3.
    Nothing more

Look at all the other server vendors. Apple have OSX server, IBM have AIX 6, Sun have Solaris 10. one edition. Redhat have no more than 3 editions of the server OS and the same goes for HP-UX.

Redhat and Apple have server operating systems that are equally as versatile and used as diversely as windows is, if not more so, but do they need umpteen editions ?

At the end of the day inspite of all the different incarnations only two editions of Vista and server 2008 are of any interest to us....Vista Business and server 2008 enterprise edition. So in our case the choice is easy.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

We've always used the standard edition of 2k3 here, and at the moment I haven't found a reason to pay the extra bit per license for Enterprise. However, with the increased memory usage that software has and the use of virtualisation I can see us going to Enterprise with 2k8 - but then, that will likely be a year after 2k8 comes out anyway! And I still don't know if we're ever going to upgrade to vista anytime soon.

Editions can be found here.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast