first post so i'm hoping you can help me out on this!
I'm deploying a wsus infrastucture but it has been set up previously, although it seems incorrectly. I have set up 3 servers where each one will serve a different location.
Upon setting it up i noticed that there was hardly any computers being detected by the wsus consol and when I ran the WSUCLIentDiagnostic tool i got the following response
WSUS Client Diagnostics Tool
Checking Machine State
Checking for admin rights to run tool . . . . . . . . . PASS
Automatic Updates Service is running. . . . . . . . . . PASS
Background Intelligent Transfer Service is running. . . PASS
Wuaueng.dll version 7.0.6000.381. . . . . . . . . . . . PASS
This version is WSUS 2.0
Checking AU Settings
AU Option is 4: Scheduled Install . . . . . . . . . . . PASS
Option is from Policy settings
Checking Proxy Configuration
Checking for winhttp local machine Proxy settings . . . PASS
Winhttp local machine access type
Winhttp local machine Proxy. . . . . . . . . . NONE
Winhttp local machine ProxyBypass. . . . . . . NONE
Checking User IE Proxy settings . . . . . . . . . . . . PASS
User IE Proxy
User IE ProxyByPass
User IE AutoConfig URL Proxy . . . . . . . . . NONE
User IE AutoDetect
AutoDetect not in use
We can ping the server, telnet to it on port 80 and remotely manage it so I'm certain the server isnt having a problem. DNS is working correctly for the clients as they can pint the server. Nothing is blocking traffic on port 80 either. The tool is also confirming group policy is being pushed out correctly.
Does anyone have any ideas on what the problem here could be?
Echo Save the batch file "AU_Clean_SID.cmd". This batch file will do the following:
Echo 1. Stop the wuauserv service
Echo 2. Delete the AccountDomainSid registry key (if it exists)
Echo 3. Delete the PingID registry key (if it exists)
Echo 4. Delete the SusClientId registry key (if it exists)
Echo 5. Restart the wuauserv service
Echo 6. Resets the Authorization Cookie
net stop wuauserv
REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" /v AccountDomainSid /f
REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" /v PingID /f
REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" /v SusClientId /f
net start wuauserv
wuauclt /resetauthorization /detectnow
Sorry to disagree but version 3 does need IIS installed to function. The update client uses an internet type url to connect to the service but in version 3 the admin consol is MMC based, although there is still need for IIS.
Dont worry about the 3 locations, that only temporary to see if all sites will have the same problem. This will be part of a UK wide WAN so downstream servers will be needed.
Its WSUS 3 on Windows 2003 Server which is hosted on a VMware box.
The install of WSUS has been done exactly as per the documentation on the MS technet site. The only thing I havent added is that this domain was recentl migrated from NT4 to a new domain. User and computer accounts were migrated with SID history but this shouldnt have created duplicate SIDs. Either way, the script was run but it had no effect on the problem.
Workstations dont appear at all apart from the odd 2 or 3 which makes it a really odd scenario.