+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Windows Thread, Network Monitoring Tools in Technical; There are lots of mentions of "network monitoring" , but I'm looking also for network "traffic monitoring" showing which switch ...

Thank Post
    There are lots of mentions of "network monitoring" , but I'm looking also for network "traffic monitoring" showing which switch or even which ports are the busiest or our potential bottleneck. Procurve manager showed this but too expensive. Do any of the above tick my boxes?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by timtom View Post
    Thanks, how many sensors do you have? With about 40 servers and 40 switches I can easily see hitting the 500 sensors if not more in which case it's a big investment for us!

Tom
    You can estimate the number or sensors you'll need by calculating the number of switch ports need to be monitored, then adding three sensors for each switch for ping, CPU, and memory usage. Servers usually consume no more than 5-6, but could use up to 15 or so depending on how much you want to monitor.

We have a license for 2,500. Regarding the prices, the license is perpetual so it's a one time outlay, if you want to maintain ongoing support the cost is about 30% of the initial license cost. But, maintenance isn't necessary and you can catch it up in subsequent years if you wanted.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by burgemaster View Post
    There are lots of mentions of "network monitoring" , but I'm looking also for network "traffic monitoring" showing which switch or even which ports are the busiest or our potential bottleneck. Procurve manager showed this but too expensive. Do any of the above tick my boxes?
    PRTG does that - http://www.paessler.com/prtg/screenshots

There is a Top 10 view that shows the top tens for things like uptime, CPU, bandwidth usage, src. That allows you to quickly spot bottlenecks and problems.

Thank Post
    Thanks.
    That looks perfect. But it looks like we would need unlimited sensors at price of 13.5k !!!

Looking for a freebie if possible

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by burgemaster View Post
    Thanks.
    That looks perfect. But it looks like we would need unlimited sensors at price of 13.5k !!!

Looking for a freebie if possible
    Really, how many devices do you need to monitor? You aren't planning to monitor clients as well are you? As far as freebies go, you'd probably be limited to either Spiceworks or Nagios/Cacti. Spiceworks is easy, but slow and limited. Nagios/Cacti are powerful, but will take a lot of work to setup. Another option is Nagios XI, but it's not free.

The PRTG license is perpetual so unless you have a lot more time than money 13.5k might still work out to be a good investment (Labour vs. Capital)

6. Thanks to seawolf from:

timtom (6th March 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
    The PRTG license is perpetual so unless you have a lot more time than money 13.5k might still work out to be a good investment (Labour vs. Capital)
    Thanks Wolf, running the 30 day demo now and it certainly is perfect. I didn't realise it was perpetual licensing so that's a big plus. We should be able to get away with 1000 licenses. Do you know what the price difference is when upgrading e.g is it just the different or do they stick an extra charge on it?

I might fire up the evaluation VM they push out of icigna as well for a look but it's all very well spending 2 days getting it running it's teaching everyone else how to use it!

edit: nevermind answered my own question from their FAQ:
    "If you need more sensors, you can upgrade to a license with more sensors by paying the list price difference."
    Last edited by timtom; 6th March 2014 at 09:26 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,165 Times in 990 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It may be time to draw the OP's attention to this: EduGeek.net - An EduGeek Roundup of Free Network Monitoring Tools
    Please bear in mind it's getting on a bit now and all of the systems covered have had major updates since.

Thank Post
    As I recommended in last post, if you have problems limitation of sensors, the best free option for me is Pandora FMS.
    Perhaps don't know it, because it is a Spanish software, but its free version works better than other paid versions. A part if you need any of its Enterprise features are really good prices. Today there is a free workshop explaining all of their features, and each week, make a thematic workshop to explain each of their functions.
    If you visit their website you can see all this information. It was very useful to learn to use the tool

Greetings to all

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mpp87 View Post
    As I recommended in last post, if you have problems limitation of sensors, the best free option for me is Pandora FMS.
    Perhaps don't know it, because it is a Spanish software, but its free version works better than other paid versions. A part if you need any of its Enterprise features are really good prices. Today there is a free workshop explaining all of their features, and each week, make a thematic workshop to explain each of their functions.
    If you visit their website you can see all this information. It was very useful to learn to use the tool

Greetings to all
    Limited to 5 SNMP traps, no Hyper-V support, online demo doesn't work, their employee's shamelessly self-promote under throw-away forum accounts - no thanks!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Wolf, running the 30 day demo now and it certainly is perfect. I didn't realise it was perpetual licensing so that's a big plus. We should be able to get away with 1000 licenses. Do you know what the price difference is when upgrading e.g is it just the different or do they stick an extra charge on it?

I might fire up the evaluation VM they push out of icigna as well for a look but it's all very well spending 2 days getting it running it's teaching everyone else how to use it!

edit: nevermind answered my own question from their FAQ:
    "If you need more sensors, you can upgrade to a license with more sensors by paying the list price difference."
    Yep, it's pretty close to perfect for us too. And yes, you only pay the difference. We upgraded from 1,000 sensors to 2,500 a couple of years ago. The annual support for 2,500 sensors is around $700 I think. Not bad at all.

12. Thanks to seawolf from:

timtom (6th March 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    It may be time to draw the OP's attention to this: EduGeek.net - An EduGeek Roundup of Free Network Monitoring Tools
    Please bear in mind it's getting on a bit now and all of the systems covered have had major updates since.
    LOL. Maybe it's a bug in the Edugeek app, but I'm being taken to a thread call "Balloonist joke" when I click on that link.

14. Thanks to seawolf from:

mac_shinobi (6th March 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,052 Times in 973 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
    LOL. Maybe it's a bug in the Edugeek app, but I'm being taken to a thread call "Balloonist joke" when I click on that link.
    I think the edugeek app has a few bugs as links dont work within the edugeek app , whenever I click on a link to another thread from within the EG App it re-directs me to something totally different ( un-related to what the thread is about )
    @ZeroHour - Presume this will be fixed within the EG App at some point soon ?
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 6th March 2014 at 10:53 AM.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I've been trialing New Relic which is online based and the free model seems quite good. I'm keen on it, especially with being online which means if my entire network goes down (including the monitoring and e-mail servers!) I still get an alert as it goes to my personal E-mail address. Their sales are a bit pushy to get you onto the paid for product which is fair enough.
    I like New Relic, very good bit of cloud software!

For anyone who wants a simple server up/down monitor, check my signiture.

We have it up on a screen here to auto refresh every 5mins.
    Last edited by zag; 6th March 2014 at 11:26 AM.

Thank Post
    Limited to 5 SNMP Traps ?.

No, SNMP Trap monitoring is completely FREE, and unlimited. Hyper-V plugin is opensource and published in pandora fms PUBLIC library. I will put here the link, but admins will ban me, so I cannot, but take a look on google, search Hyper-V pandora monitoring and you will see.

Its very funny also to see how you tell me "pandora fms employees" self promote Pandora FMS, and in the same thread other forum users here are even posting price quotes of another monitoring product that is not even opensource. Shame on you, Pandora FMS is a opensource monitoring tool like Nagios, Zabbix, OpenNMS or Cacti.
    Last edited by mpp87; 6th March 2014 at 12:07 PM. Reason: correct some grammar mistakes

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mpp87 View Post
    Limited to 5 SNMP Traps ?.

No, SNMP Trap monitoring is completely FREE, and unlimited. Hyper-V plugin is opensource and published in pandora fms PUBLIC library. I will put here the link, but admins will ban me, so I cannot, but take a look on google, search Hyper-V pandora monitoring and you will see.

Its very funny also to see how you tell me "pandora fms employees" self promote Pandora FMS, and in the same thread other forum users here are even posting price quotes of another monitoring product that is not even opensource. Shame on you, Pandora FMS is a opensource monitoring tool like Nagios, Zabbix, OpenNMS or Cacti.
    mpp87 - you are really starting to sound like an employee of Pandora FMS with these posts. "Admins will ban you"? Really, for an "open source" product? Interesting.

You can be sure I'm no employee of PRTG. However, happy customers do tend to be the best marketing campaign that you CAN'T buy...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast