+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, All the time on my machines (servers and workstations) are wrong. in Technical; Hi guys For some reason the time on all my servers and workstations is 2 minutes fast. Can't work out ...

Thank Post

All the time on my machines (servers and workstations) are wrong.

Hi guys

For some reason the time on all my servers and workstations is 2 minutes fast. Can't work out why or how to change this.

I have Windows 2012 Server and Win 7 64 bit workstations. I've been told that all machines should look to my PDC for the time. I changed to the correct time on the PDC and then after a few minutes I noticed that my workstation had updated. Great I thought. Throughout the rest of the day, I noticed other workstations around my school had changed too. Even Better.

I then came in the next day and discovered my workstation was 2 minutes fast again. I checked and all of my servers were the same, including my PDC.

Any ideas or advise as to why this is? Like wise how's the best way to fix the issue? I've looked and found a couple of help articles on Microsoft, but they didn't work?

How to configure an authoritative time server in Windows Server
    Configure a client computer for automatic domain time synchronization: Windows Time Service

Thanks
    N

Thank Post
    Is your PDC looking at a time server elsewhere that is 2 minutes fast?

Matt

Thank Post
    Hi Matt

Not to sure. I employed a company to fit the servers for me during the summer. I asked them that and they said no. They claim that the accounts that they used didn't have internet access enabled and therefore they didn't setup any connection to Time Servers. Then they blamed me saying that the login I used does have internet connection. Hence why I'm not asking them for help.
    I'm still learning my way around 2012 at the moment. Had a 2003 RM system before. I can't find anything saying the PDC is looking for a time server. But not 100% sure where to look.

N

Thank Post
    I had this happen on servers in several of my schools. Every week I would set the time right and then the next week they would all be wrong again. In the end I turned off NTP checking on the server so that it had to be manually set. I then set a group policy for the rest of the school to use the server as an NTP server. All done through group policy and so far so good. The particular settings I changed were in Computer Configuration - Policies - Administrative Templates - System - Windows Time Service - Time Providers.

Thank Post
    Also have a look at the dhcp scopes. If you set the time/ntp server to the same as the one set in GP you should cover all bases.

Thank Post
    Are your servers virtualised? If so get them all to use an external NTP server indiviually, including the host.
    If you have one physical server (some do) use that one for as the NTP server for your clients.

Thank Post
    I had similar problems on 2008 servers, try the following.

Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\W32Time\Config\AnnounceFlags
    In the right-pane, right-click AnnounceFlags, and then click Modify.
    In Edit DWORD Value, type A in the Value data box, and then click OK.
    Close Registry Editor.
    At the command prompt, type the following command to restart the Windows Time service, and then press Enter: net stop w32time && net start w32time

Thank Post
    check what ntp servers are available, I had an issue where I had set time for pdc to external ntp server and that was filtered by the lea so I used there's - doh

one school I inherited once was out of sync by 7 hours, so 2 mins isn't to bad ;0 but having rock solid network time is cool, everyone starts basing things around YOUR time

shame the people who built your servers are not very friendly or helpful...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread