+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Server 2003 R2 in Technical; We are thinking of upgrading to this version as the print management looks like it will solve a problem. Our ...
    coquet636

Server 2003 R2

We are thinking of upgrading to this version as the print management looks like it will solve a problem.

Our salesperson said we can upgrade just one swerver but i was just checking that this was the case?

i assumed if you updated a domain controller you would have to do all domain controllers, or is that just me expecting microsoft to extract more money.......

Thank Post

Re: Server 2003 R2

You can update as many or as few as you like. You'll need a licence for each though.

HBJB

Thank Post

Your sales person is correct. R2 is basically 2003 with SP1 slipstreamed and the bonus CD2 provides the extra functionality.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/912309

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

You would have to upgrade all of the servers if you want the full functionality of 2003 active directory.

Wes

Thank Post

Some of the extra functionaly is really useful. Especially the file server resource quota and filtering management. The File access enumeration (so users can only see files they can access) is also unbelivably useful. I cant believe we managed for so long without the above facilities!

The print management isn't quite as fully featured as we'd like unfortunately though so we ended up buying a 3rd party piece of software (print manager plus) to give us more control over what users can print.

Aalborg, Denmark (formerly West Midlands, UK)
    Thank Post

We use printer deployment extensively, but it has a couple of caveats. There is no way to specify the default printer (but then, how could you, and unfortunately at my place it is /far/ too difficult to have to actually decide which printer you want to use, instead of blindly hitting the print button). Secondly it does not seem to be supported by the print migration wizard. If you want to move your print server you'll have to go and update all those policies by hand (or script). Otherwise, it does a great job of silently installing drivers and adding the printers.

Thank Post

I've never got the print management side of things to work. Ended up using a VBS script solution for maping them, and PaperCut for print monitoring.

The file quotaing and management features are good, file access enumeration I've yet to try out, keep meaning to turn it on.

Mike.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,246 Posts

I upgraded two servers yesterday with Server 2003 R2. It is very easy to do on member servers, however on a domain controller you must update the schema which is easy to do.

You don't have to update all your 2003 servers to R2, however as a recommendation I would always update the DC and any other servers (as appropriate) to save money.

So (for example) if you had 5 servers, I would always update the DC and any other server which requires R2 tools. In the longterm Server 2008 will include all these features and more anyway, so there's no real need to upgrade all servers to R2. I would however recommend upgrading all non R2 2003 servers to Service Pack 2, as R2 will install SP2.

@flyinghaggis - 2003 R2 Print Management doesn't control printing use, it's brilliant at distributing printers to users or computers at OU level. I also use Print Manager Plus in addition to 2003 R2 Print Management.

@maniac - Check out this guide, it's nice and simple to follow

Thank Post

Is there a difference in discs between an upgrade from 2003 to R2 and a new 2003 R2 ?

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by chaz6
    There is no way to specify the default printer
    But you can in a way.

Windows XP will choose which printer to set as default thus:

Local printers always default before any network printer
    Network Printer default in alphabetical order.

So, we used to call all our printers 'Room_Laser' or 'Room_ColourLaser' but then that meant if a room has both then the colour laser become default.

the was around it is to call the colour laser 'Room_TheColourLaser' which ofcourse makes it come later in the alphabet than the mono.

Not ideal but it does work, you could just have say 'A_Room_Laser' and 'B_Room_Inkjet' or whatever.

Back on topic, you only need to update the servers that you will be using R2 features on,, you'll need to buy the license again for each of those.

So if you only want the Print Management you only need to upgrade your print server. If you wanted to use the new Quota or File Extension filter on user areas that were on a different server, you'd need to upgrade that aswell with it's own license, at full cost.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,246 Posts

@Grommit - When I ordered R2 from Birmingham recently, they sent me two discs. A 2003 Server Standard Edition (Corporate) and a separate R2 disc.

Server 2003 and R2 discs require separate serial numbers. R2 is an upgrade (technically) but Microsoft classify this as a new product/server revision.

If you already have 2003 Server, you just need R2 and a serial number. The process of upgrading is straight forward. If you do buy 2003 Server from new, they all come with R2 as standard anyway.

R2 can be installed on any existing Server 2003 install with Service Pack 1 or later.

@mrforgetful - I agree with you regarding default printers. It does work alphabetically, so we name our black and white machines as appropriate. If users need colour they specify a secondary printer as required.

The first R2 upgrade I did, the server was both the DC and Print Server (so there were no problems). At another site, the DC and Print Server were separate servers. If I update just the Print Server and not the DC, the Print Management tool didn't work as it should. This is why I recommend (always) updating the DC then any other servers as necessary. I think the reason(s) behind this are to do with the schema which is required when installing R2 on a DC.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread