+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Mapped Drives Issue in Technical; Hi All, We have a 2008 server and i've configued the GPP to map drives based on their security group ...

Thank Post

Mapped Drives Issue

Hi All,

We have a 2008 server and i've configued the GPP to map drives based on their security group (item level targetting). The problem i'm having is if a year 3 logs in they get there year 3 mapped drive, then if a year 4 logs in they either get the year 3 mapped drive or a mapped drive that says year 4 but actually points to year 3.

Everything looks like it's set up correctly. Has anyone else had this issue?

Thank Post
    anyone?

Should i first delete the drive then remap when logging on? It's a different profile so i can't see why it would be mapped from a previous logon.
    Last edited by nathan; 29th January 2014 at 08:25 AM.

Thank Post
    have you got the reconnect box ticked. Try unticking. Really strange. How about changing the GPP to Replace instead of update. I'm never sure if they make any difference though. Do they have permissions to the Year 3 area. Can you take it away or do they need access

Thank Post
    Make sure in AD the different year groups are in different OU's. Then link in group policy editor the policy which each year applys to! Do you have any other network drives that are mapped and is it just generic accounts you are using? Because if the generic account is true you could just map each account a home drive in AD rather than map it via GP!

Thank Post
    It sounds like there is something slightly out in your targeting/setup in the policy.

Although worth checking that if you disable the GPP policy, and log on as a Y3 or Y4 do you get any mapped drives? If you do it is either coming through in the profile or via another method, make sure this is cleared and then re-apply the GPP.

We're using security group targeting and it works great, have also targetd drives on User in OU and computer in OU, all work.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by whartomt01 View Post
    have you got the reconnect box ticked. Try unticking. Really strange. How about changing the GPP to Replace instead of update. I'm never sure if they make any difference though. Do they have permissions to the Year 3 area. Can you take it away or do they need access
    Browsing around, found this for an explanation on the differences.

Replace

Delete and recreate mapped drives for users. The net result of the Replace action is to overwrite all existing settings associated with the mapped drive. If the drive mapping does not exist, then the Replace action creates a new drive mapping.

Update

Modify settings of an existing mapped drive for users. This action differs from Replace in that it only updates settings defined within the preference item. All other settings remain as configured on the mapped drive. If the drive mapping does not exist, then the Update action creates a new drive mapping.

Mine were set to update, i've changed them to replace although this shouldn't make a difference as they are in different profiles. I'll continue to work down the replies. Thanks everyone.

Thank Post
    have you got the reconnect box ticked.
    Should not matter if logging in as a different user

Make sure in AD the different year groups are in different OU's
    Should not matter if you are targeting a group.

Do not use GPP to map home drives but map using active directory. You might also need to include to FQDN in the home drive mapping in AD.

Thank Post
    I'm using GPP to map year folders based on what security group they are in. whilst the students are out, i've just quickly disabled the student gpo. All mapped drives were removed.

I then created a new GPO with just the GPP mapped drives settings in. Even though i'm specifying a label for the year 6 mapping, it will not reflect that when a student logs in. instead i get the unc path.

Something really weird is going on here.

EDIT: these new mapped drives are using replace. I've also deleted the roaming profile for the student.
    Last edited by nathan; 29th January 2014 at 12:13 PM.

Thank Post
    Can you send a screenshot of the policy settings?

Have you got "Run in Logged on Users Security Context" ticked?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Try splitting users into different OUs

Curric, then create two sub OUs Year 3 and Year 4

Link the correct GPP mapped drives policy to the relevant OU. This'll remove the need for targeted options. I'd also recommend you set the GPO to Replace in each instance.

Possible reasons why you've got mapped drive problems due to Offline Files which can also cause problems.

Thank Post
    Always use "replace" instead of "update".

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SkreeM1980 View Post
    Can you send a screenshot of the policy settings?

Have you got "Run in Logged on Users Security Context" ticked?
    I do have that checked, i don't think i'd be getting any mapped drives if it wasn't.

I've sort of given up on this as i haven't enough time to spend on it so i've just written a vbs script to do the same thing.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Try splitting users into different OUs

Curric, then create two sub OUs Year 3 and Year 4

Link the correct GPP mapped drives policy to the relevant OU. This'll remove the need for targeted options. I'd also recommend you set the GPO to Replace in each instance.

Possible reasons why you've got mapped drive problems due to Offline Files which can also cause problems.
    We disable offline files for our whole site, but we do get a message about the roaming profile being on a cached (will have to check the exact wording) shared. The profiles are stored on a synology nas drive.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    The roaming profile issue is something separate and shouldn't affect mapped drives. You don't use mandatory profiles do you?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread