+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, SMARTboard driver install failure headache in Technical; :cry: I cannot get one of our new laptops to install the drivers to connect to our SMARTboard. I keep ...
    Thank Post

SMARTboard driver install failure headache

:cry:

I cannot get one of our new laptops to install the drivers to connect to our SMARTboard. I keep getting a Code 28 error (which on the MS website helpfully means that the driver cannot be installed!!).

We have Series 6 SMARTboards, and we have 7 other classrooms all running happily. It isn't the board, as that works with other laptops. However, the laptop won't work with any other board - same problem.

We have SMARTboard Software 9.7 installed, and the operating system is Windows XP SP2. The problem laptop is one of two that were purchased at the same time, both the same model and same setup. One installs to the board fine and one doesn't. The drivers that the working laptop has installed are in Human Interface Devices in Device Manager, and both drivers are Microsoft, not special SMART drivers. The problem laptop can project OK to the board, but cannot interact with it (ie. touch screen doesn't work, etc.).

When I first connected the laptop to the board and powered up and logged on, the Found new hardware bubble came up in System Tray, then, instead of the usual automatic install, the New Hardware wizard started. I have now tried various methods to force install - SMARTboard software CD in drive, XP CD in drive, uninstall driver that is faulty, and disconnect cable and reconnect cable, every USB port on the laptop (which seem OK as they will install memory sticks), the SMARTboard connection wizard. Short of throwing the thing out of the window.... (believe me, I'm tempted!). I have contacted SMART but they are in the States and wanted me to phone while in front of laptop - time difference makes that impossible. I have contacted our board supplier, who at first told me the drivers were in the PNP drivers folder in the SMART Technologies folder, but has since learnt from me that they are actually Windows drivers (he tried looking on his laptop and I was right...).

I have had to go through these two first, because the laptop supplier has been difficult about sorting the problem. I am now having to spend lunch hours in front of the laptop/board (so as not to distrurb class times) while they log in remotely to try and fix it. They have suggested a Windows reinstall, but there is other stuff on there that they put on, which would mean me installing all that too - plus, as it has a Vista product key, I have been told I have to contact Microsoft to get a XP product key because of the downgraded intstall.

So if anyone out there has any magical ideas, I would be very very grateful!!!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 1,786 Posts

Re: SMARTboard driver install failure headache

http://downloads.smarttech.com/softw...ARTCleanup.exe

http://downloads.smarttech.com/softw...d95Cleanup.exe

Don't know if it helps - but even if you uninstall smart it leaves bits behind and when I had a problem I was kindly directed to the above which will get rid of all the little bits so that you can start again cleanly.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by WITCH
    Don't know if it helps - but even if you uninstall smart it leaves bits behind and when I had a problem I was kindly directed to the above which will get rid of all the little bits so that you can start again cleanly.
    Yes, I know you did - did you ever get your laptop sorted?? The problem sounded awful, and you said you couldn't get the cleaner software to run either.

Unfortunately, I've tried this for my problem and still no good. The SMARTboard supplier has just referred it up to Steljes (the UK SMARTboard source). The laptop supplier thinks it is a corrupted driver, which probably means a Windows reinstall in the end, but we will see after his remote support session tomorrow lunchtime...

Thanks for the suggestion, anyway.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 1,786 Posts

Yes, I did
    I had to clean up everything I could possibly clean up off the laptop, system restored it, took everything unnecessary off it and on the millionth attempt the cleaners worked and it solved my problem.
    Sorry to hear that you are having such a pain, it does sound like a whole install is needed
    Somtimes you wonder about this job, don't you!!

Hope you got it all sorted out soon

Sarah

Thank Post

Would it be possible to make an image of the one that works and reimage the one that doesn't?

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by alan-d
    Would it be possible to make an image of the one that works and reimage the one that doesn't?
    Mmmm... I did think of that, but the laptop isn't on the network and my technical know-how is a bit limited on the imaging side - someone set it up for me on our workstations and I generally just follow the instructions. Also, the laptops are both new (bought end of October), so I'm not sure how I would stand with the warranty. But as the idea has now been validated on Edugeek, I will run it past the laptop suppliers and see what they think. Thanks!

Thank Post

Update: after another remote session and still unable to fix problem, laptop suppliers are sending out a replacement hard drive installed with originbal image (XP and Office). Once that is in place, they are going to talk to me again - I think we are going to connect the board up without my having put any of our school software on it, possibly including SMART software (as the drivers are Microsoft anyway).

They briefly said that imaging the working laptop and copying that to problem one was complicated, and I didn't pursue that as we only had a short window of time in which to run the remote session.

I think the current theory is that the order in which I installed the software here on one laptop may have been different to the order in which I installed it on the other, and somehow that corrupted a driver...??

Anyway, we shall see...

Steljes did get in touch, but say it is a laptop problem, which is fair enough.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,261 Posts

From what you're describing clearly it's something specific about the laptop in question, as all other laptops and whiteboards are working.

In my experience Smartboard software/drivers aren't very smart at all, and have had my fair share of problems.

I would re-install XP and see how this goes. I can't see why it would matter in what order you install software. The only exception to this, is I would install the Windows 3.1 Installer V2 and see if this makes any difference.

Thank Post

All is now sorted out - so far, so good, at least. the laptop supplier sent another hard drive installed with XP, and once I had swapped drives I connected the SMARTboard straight away. The new hardware (SMARTboard was found and installed this time), I got a flashing green light on the board and interactivity. Then I installed the SMARTboard software and connected the board again, which properly started the SMARTboard services and got me a fixed green light. I have since installed other software and all still seems well.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread