+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Thread, IE7 crashing virtually everywhere in Technical; Its getting worse and worse Even IE6 is affected now More than unknown modules, now getting loads of ws2_32.dll and ...

Thank Post

Re: IE7 crashing virtually everywhere

Its getting worse and worse
    Even IE6 is affected now

More than unknown modules, now getting loads of ws2_32.dll and gdi32.dll as the faulting modules

Ive tried updating Flash and Shockwave on one machine and since then it hasnt crashed. Its a teachers machine though so with all the problems she was having, she just might not have used it since then.

Its difficult to even update them, Ive always had problems with the MSI's from Adobe...will have to try them though

Thank Post

Im getting pretty down about this now. Even got one teacher directly complaining to SMT despite me telling her multiple times that it isnt just her, we are trying our best, and it will take time due to the amount of things it could be.

Updated Flash and Shockwave schoolwide. Disabled Google toolbar from starting anywhere.

Still happening

Now seems to be a slightly different error, its now Explorer rather than IE

Code:
    Event Type:	Error
    Event Source:	Application Error
    Event Category:	None
    Event ID:	1000
    Date:		03/12/2007
    Time:		13:39:23
    User:		N/A
    Computer:
    Description:
    Faulting application explorer.exe, version 6.0.2900.3156, faulting module gdi32.dll, version 5.1.2600.3159, fault address 0x00008039.
    Code:
    Event Type:	Error
    Event Source:	Application Error
    Event Category:	(100)
    Event ID:	1000
    Time:		13:39:42
    User:		N/A
    Computer:	
    Description:
    Faulting application drwtsn32.exe, version 5.1.2600.0, faulting module dbghelp.dll, version 5.1.2600.2180, fault address 0x0001295d.
    Those are the common ones today, although the iexplore.exe ones still happen too

Theres no correlation, various types of computer and motherboard, different versions of IE, wildly different software on each machine

One thing I have now realised is that this has started to become more of a problem since I deployed Smartboard 9.7 to all teacher machines, and the majority of these problems are occurring on teacher machines

Also, most, if not all event logs with 9.7 installed have this error too:

Code:
    Event Type:	Information
    Event Source:	SMART Web Server
    Event Category:	None
    Event ID:	1
    Time:		13:43:10
    User:		NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    Computer:	DT-S11-TEACHER
    Description:
    The description for Event ID ( 1 ) in Source ( SMART Web Server ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: SMART Web Server.
    Which isnt much use if it cant find the description.

But what the hell is SMART web server?

Ive also noticed a CIEDownload Object add in in IE, published by SMART. Dont know if this is related?

Im going to try and set the Smart web Server service to always be disabled, but I cant work out where in the registry to find the IE add-in - because I believe I need the CLSID of the object to disable it through a GPO. Anyone know where its hidden?

Or anyone got any other ideas

Thank Post

Do you use Ranger remote control? I think someone mentioned that causing a very similar problem not so long ago...

I guess this could apply to net support too, I think ranger almost the same thing

Thank Post

We don't use Ranger no (thank god )

We do use Netsupport but not in any of the locations we are having problems...

Thank Post

Smart web server is something included with 9.7 and allows you to view the status of the machines connected to the smartboard through the browser. Its also used for bridgit and LinQ. Type the name of the machine connected to the WB ('machinename:80') into the browser and click open room diagnostics (you might find something on there).
    gdi32.dll is for the Windows GDI which assists windows in creating simple 2d objects.
    Winsock 2 is used by most Internet and network applications to handle network connections so this problem does sound webserver related.
    Try disabling the smart webserver on all machines it is running on the room diagnostic should tell you which.
    PS It runs fine here alongside our IIS on both IE7 and IE6

Thank Post

Hi

Have you tried reinstalling IE7 on the affect machines?

Like it was mentioned earlier, it could just be a bad image.

My suggestion is to reinstall IE7 and see if it works. If it does work then maybe compare the bad machine to the one that is working.

Thank Post

Yeah I suppose I will have to try that

Its different aged images though on multiple types of hardware.

I have gone through all the teacher machines to see which are affected and although its fairly random, there are some patterns.

We have 4 main boards that are in teacher machines (or anywhere on site), they are:

Intel D915-GVWB
    Intel D865-GVHZ
    Intel D845-GVSR
    Dell Optiplex 745

Now, the majority of those which are crashing are GVHZ's, some Dells, and although we havent got many GVWB's, every single one of those is crashing.
    But the oldest board of the lot, the GVSR, has no problems whatsoever. Theres about 10 or 12 of them and not one has experianced the problems. So Im thinking perhaps the drivers for those machines arent conflicting with IE or whatever? Im thinking graphics drivers due to the ws2_32.dll errors

So I first thought a driver update may have messed up the problematic ones, but as far as I know WSUS doesnt do any driver updates? (although a few months back a printer driver seemed to be updated which caused problems)
    So, trying to work out how they are related. I really dont know what else to try though.
    I have done a brand new image for one of the teachers who was moaning the most - instead of installing IE7 from an exe, I let Windows Update install it, and all drivers I installed from the original CD, no updated ones.

So far that has been ok, but its only been in since lunchtime yesterday

Thank Post

Are you by any chance using RM CC3? I would check whether your older flash/shockwave have actually uninstalled and not failed. to make sure, get the flash and shockwave removal tools www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/alternates
    run them a few times and then reinstall the latest flash/shockwave

Thank Post

No, not CC3, vanilla

I havent specifically checked if the old versions have installed, but the new ones are definately the ones being used, as if I go to Adobes version checker page, it says which version is installed. OR does this not matter, could old files still be causing problems?

I will have a look at those tools, but again this is occuring on hundreds of machines throughout the site, so the only end result might be to reimage

AustenLowe

For the sake of argument have you tried to uninstall the smartboard software from one of the affected computers?

Thank Post

I think smartboard was a red herring. It happens on the majority of student machines too. I just plucked smartboard sw out of the air because it was the only thing that had changed recently

Thank Post

Just an update...

Some of my machines that were crashing on flash sites were still crashing loading websites (still IE6 and IE7) Run the Adobe uninstaller and re-installed Flash9 but it was still happening.

The solution is to manually delete all traces of flash and re-install the latest. Do a search for swflash.ocx, flash.ocx, etc and delete them. Make sure u empty the recycle bin too as they will still be found. Then re-install and it should work.

NB, lots of programs like smartboard install flash without telling you and that can cause problems

Thank Post
    I have noticed this a lot at home and at work.

I have almost completely given up on IE and now use firefox almost exclusively.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by craiglay View Post
    Just an update...

Some of my machines that were crashing on flash sites were still crashing loading websites (still IE6 and IE7) Run the Adobe uninstaller and re-installed Flash9 but it was still happening.

The solution is to manually delete all traces of flash and re-install the latest. Do a search for swflash.ocx, flash.ocx, etc and delete them. Make sure u empty the recycle bin too as they will still be found. Then re-install and it should work.

NB, lots of programs like smartboard install flash without telling you and that can cause problems
    Perhaps this explains why a computer can have at least 4 ARP entries for Flash Player 9

I can only think of 2 locations though... Group Policy and Adobe Master Collection.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12