+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Exchange Global Address Lists in Technical; Is there a way that i can remove the global address list in outlook, at the moment all the users ...
    Thank Post

Exchange Global Address Lists

Is there a way that i can remove the global address list in outlook, at the moment all the users see everybody in this global address list and i only want them to see what i say they can see. i.e. students just see eahc other and staff see everyone. Or cna i just remove all users from this global address list in exchange 203 and just use my other address lists that work fine.

Thank Post

Re: Exchange Global Address Lists

Yep, on the exchange server open teh Recipients node, open All Global Address Lists, right-click the Defualt Global Address List and set Deny to anyone you don't want to see it.

Thank Post

I have done that but it still is showing in outlook when they press the 'To..' button. :twisted:

Thank Post

I've always had problems with the address lists. Tried to create one with Groups in it but even though everyone had full access it didnt' show in Outlook Web Access, only Outlook proper.

Thank Post

I think that is because there is an Offline Address book. Outlook syncs the address book to a local copy. So while you deny the actual book they still have rights to read the local copy in the offline address book.

I've tried to get rid of it too after a student decided it would be fun to email EVERYONE in her default global address book. But never got right.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by DSapseid
    I have done that but it still is showing in outlook when they press the 'To..' button. :twisted:
    Only other option is to create a blank Global Address list & allow everyone to see that, it could be as sreiach says that where there is nothing to replace it it is using a cached copy. Had no problems removing access here, set our staff and student groups to deny access for everything and it stopped. Then created a new one for just staff and all has been fine.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by sreiach
    I've tried to get rid of it too after a student decided it would be fun to email EVERYONE in her default global address book. But never got right.
    Thats why im doing it as well, we had an influx of the kids doing it last year but it stoped happening but it started again yesterday afternoon.

Thank Post

There the Hide from Exchange Adress List option, cant remember if theres a global setting or not. I would also put in place strong policies against abuse like that.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey
    Only other option is to create a blank Global Address list & allow everyone to see that, it could be as sreiach says that where there is nothing to replace it it is using a cached copy. Had no problems removing access here, set our staff and student groups to deny access for everything and it stopped. Then created a new one for just staff and all has been fine.
    Thanks jsut done that and its worked 8) cant believe i hadnt thought of that before!

Quote Originally Posted by apeo
    There the Hide from Exchange Adress List option, cant remember if theres a global setting or not. I would also put in place strong policies against abuse like that.
    Yes the 5 students who sent emails yesterday are being spoken to today.

Thank Post

I came accross a problem this morning, in the way that any new accounts i created it wouldnt create the mailbox as the username was not in the exchange global address list. I spent the morning trying out various ways round it and have solved it. Do not create the second address list as blank, instead create it with just the students listed. Then you just add the new second address list to the offline folders list. Set the permissions on the origanal address list so students are denied access then it should work. I just wanted to update so if anybody else does the same thing.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread