I have just returned from one of my schools that I visit and there seemed to be an intermitent problem connecting to the "H" drive. When a user logs on the error message "could not reconnect all network drives" pops up in the system tray. This then means they cant access "my documents" > Interestingly though when browsing my computer the other 2 networked mapped drives "apps" and "public" are acessible if you double click. But if you try and click on "h" you get an access denied error. It doesnt seem to be user specific or even machine specific as one of the users i was using could connect fine on one login attempt but once logged off and logged on again it wouldnt work. Then logging on a different machine produced a similar result. The network is a 2003 windows server enviroment using the Winsuite desktop control software. One strange thing happened when i logged in as a network admin and that was the my documents seemed to pick up a local version that didnt belong to that account ie. a teachers " my documents" as opposed to my usual documents, tools etc. I am thinking i could be a problem with profiles but i ran out of time to investigate it further although i did create a new account which didnt have any local profiles loaded on and the problem still was there. Any help/theories on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
It's interesting the problem is intermittent. I've never used the Winsuite software you speak of, however I am guessing that permissions would most probably be the source of the problem.
Generally speaking, users should be given full access rights to their My Documents folder/share. I use an application called AutoShare which does all the hard work for me. Alternatively I would check that a user does have full access rights to their My Documents.
I wouldn't of thought the problem was profile related, otherwise when attempting to logon you would receive errors. Windows would either use a locally cached copy or use the default profile to allow you to logon, but from what you describe this isn't happening. Windows cannot successfully redirect/create the My Documents drive/folder, because permissions are incorrect.
If it was a permissions problem wouldnt it not work at all? As the problem stands the same user can access "my documents" sometimes but not everytime. If the permissions were wrong on the server it surely wouldnt work ever........
I agree "normally" permissions set either work or they don't, which makes intermittent problems that little more difficult to resolve. Users should be given FULL access rights to their personal share.
Reading your original post, it could possibly be profile related and you could try deleting all locally cached profiles in the C:\Documents and Settings folder
You mentioned also that clicking on H:\ comes up with "Access Denied". This is typical symptom of invalid permissions. To be 100% sure though, if you type \\servername\sharename$ into the address bar, does that also give an Access Denied error?
Have you updated to Service Pack 2 on Windows Server 2003? And is there an updated version of Winsuite? Have you contacted the Winsuite manufacturers about the problem?
It's on a Windows 2003 network with XP PCs. The pupils occaisonally get the problem. It seems to be solved by a reboot of the machine.
The head gets a different variation and gets the 'Could not reconnect all drives message'. However, when you go to My Computer, you CAN see all the ones you should be able to AND you can see most of the other letters of the alphabet not connected even though they aren't mapped! This too is fixed by rebooting the PC.
It's been happening for a week or so, but irregularly.
If it's happening irregularly, it could be interference or a fault on the CAT5/6 cable you're most likely using or a weak wireless signal (if you're using wireless).
I have seen it happen before (especially this time of year), being Winter, more lights around school are switched on and this potentially can create more electrical interference dependant on where the network cable is.
As a general rule, network cable shouldn't run parallel to power cables for more than 5 metres otherwise you can get problems.
If it's still under warranty, get the installers back in to do some testing. Seems odd the problem has started just recently. If possible, try connecting the PC to another network port and see if the same problems happen again.
it seems the problem was a recently installed samsung laser printer driver was causing profiles not to be unloaded from the registry. This was how the "my documents" contents didnt display correctly and also why it seemed to work the first time after a reboot but if logged off and logged in again it wouldnt work. UPH clean seems to have fixed the problem now. Thanks for your ideas and suggestions on here.