+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11
Windows Thread, Microsoft Extend support for Security Essentials and other protection tools in Technical; to 2015 BBC News - Microsoft extends security fixes for Windows XP to 2015 EDIT: Just noticed its for the ...
  1. #1
    Quackers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,311
    Thank Post
    40
    Thanked 141 Times in 116 Posts
    Rep Power
    53

    Microsoft Extend support for Security Essentials and other protection tools

    to 2015

    BBC News - Microsoft extends security fixes for Windows XP to 2015

    EDIT: Just noticed its for the Microsoft Security Essentials updates not actually patches, just a badly written report and i read it to quick.
    Last edited by Quackers; 16th January 2014 at 11:34 AM.

  2. #2

    sparkeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    6,738
    Thank Post
    1,272
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries
    22
    Rep Power
    505
    There goes my bargaining chip for finally getting rid of our remaining XP machines next financial year *rips up budget proposal*

    On one hand this annoys me as XP does need to die. But on the other hand, lots of Government departments and NHS etc still haven't moved off XP and current migration plans won't completed until the end of the year. Oh and banks! So this might be a good thing?


    Oh hang on! This isn't MS providing security updates, just signatures for Microsoft Security Essentials, Forefront Client Security, Forefront Endpoint Protection, System Center Endpoint Protection, and Windows Intune.
    Last edited by sparkeh; 16th January 2014 at 11:39 AM.

  3. #3

    Michael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    9,262
    Thank Post
    242
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Rep Power
    340
    Quite an astonishing decision that... clearly Windows 8 isn't being received that well, although Windows 7's percentage keeps increasing month after month with XP's decreasing.

  4. #4

    sparkeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    6,738
    Thank Post
    1,272
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries
    22
    Rep Power
    505
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Quite an astonishing decision that... clearly Windows 8 isn't being received that well, although Windows 7's percentage keeps increasing month after month with XP's decreasing.
    Just in case you missed my edit:
    This isn't MS providing security updates, just signatures for Microsoft Security Essentials, Forefront Client Security, Forefront Endpoint Protection, System Center Endpoint Protection, and Windows Intune.

    XP will still be vulnerable as El Reg says:
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/01...ates_extended/
    Those 14 months are expected to be dangerous ones, with hackers descending upon XP's final, never-to-be-patchedvulnerabilities like a swarm of identity-thieving locusts. And each new security update that Microsoft releases for Windows Vista or later could potentially become a how-to manual for new exploits, should the same flaws exist in XP.
    Last edited by sparkeh; 16th January 2014 at 11:41 AM.

  5. #5

    john's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    10,517
    Thank Post
    1,494
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    Rep Power
    302
    ***mod note*** Edited thread title to make it more accurate given that it wasn't about XP

  6. #6

    Oaktech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Bournemouth
    Posts
    2,776
    Thank Post
    764
    Thanked 541 Times in 424 Posts
    Rep Power
    259
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    There goes my bargaining chip for finally getting rid of our remaining XP machines next financial year *rips up budget proposal*

    On one hand this annoys me as XP does need to die. But on the other hand, lots of Government departments and NHS etc still haven't moved off XP and current migration plans won't completed until the end of the year. Oh and banks! So this might be a good thing?


    Oh hang on! This isn't MS providing security updates, just signatures for Microsoft Security Essentials, Forefront Client Security, Forefront Endpoint Protection, System Center Endpoint Protection, and Windows Intune.

    My position is weakened, but I still have the 'support for XP on new machines is becoming expensive' and the 'Our servers are still out of space and buying new directly attached storage is neither sustainable nor best practice' positions.

  7. #7
    SovietRussia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Powys, Wales
    Posts
    607
    Thank Post
    67
    Thanked 131 Times in 102 Posts
    Rep Power
    43
    DIE XP, WHY WONT U DIE

  8. #8

    Michael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    9,262
    Thank Post
    242
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Rep Power
    340
    Even the BBC have renamed their news article, as it was very mis-leading! It definitely said Windows XP updates, not Virus updates.

    As to why Microsoft are doing this is unclear... they should just end support for it full stop.

  9. #9

    SpuffMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,230
    Thank Post
    54
    Thanked 278 Times in 186 Posts
    Rep Power
    134
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Even the BBC have renamed their news article, as it was very mis-leading! It definitely said Windows XP updates, not Virus updates.
    Probably written by Rory Cockend Jones...

  10. #10


    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    51.405546, -0.510212
    Posts
    8,776
    Thank Post
    223
    Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,940 Posts
    Rep Power
    780
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    As to why Microsoft are doing this is unclear... they should just end support for it full stop.
    Most likely for the same reasons that Google and Mozilla are supporting Chrome and Firefox on XP until at least April 2015.

  11. #11


    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    51.405546, -0.510212
    Posts
    8,776
    Thank Post
    223
    Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,940 Posts
    Rep Power
    780
    The End Is Nigh for Windows XP: These Anti-Virus Software Products Will Continue to Protect XP after the End of Support AV-Test

    AV-TEST contacted all manufacturers of Internet security suites and asked them how long they plan to keep supporting Windows XP and providing their software with program and signature updates. In order to do so, the manufacturers definitely require users to ensure that they have installed all of the patches provided by Microsoft up until the end of support and are using an up-to-date program version of their security software.


    ^ Are WebRoot crazy?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 28th September 2012, 10:24 PM
  2. Microsoft Security Essentials launches
    By AngryTechnician in forum Windows
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 7th October 2009, 11:08 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 26th March 2007, 07:03 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •