+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, log-on Logs Script in Technical; I wonder if anyone can help. I have created the following log on script, that creates two text files in ...

Thank Post

log-on Logs Script

I wonder if anyone can help. I have created the following log on script, that creates two text files in separate folders for each and every each time a student logs on. One text file named with the computer name, one with the user name. The details within text files are the same . The reason for two files is so I can search by user or computer. My one issue with the script is that with the Compute named text files do not append a new entry if the computer is logged onto a second time, unless the PC is restarted in between, although the user text file appends perfectly for each and every user even if they log off , back on the same PC WITHOUT restarting, ie two entries in User A text file but only one in computer A text file. Does anybody know why this would be as it's the same info just being sent to different locations.

echo Log In %Date% %TIME% %USERNAME% >> \\servername\Computerlogon\%COMPUTERNAME%.log
    echo Log In %Date% %TIME% %COMPUTERNAME% >> \\servername\Studentlogon\%USERNAME%.log

Thank Post
    Do the users have access to edit another persons text file?

As in the username would be created by themselves so owned.
    The computer one might be created by bob, and being editted by Jim

Steve

Thank Post
    No. This is what happens. User A logs on to Computer A script creates text files called userA and Computer A with the date /time /name entries. When User A logs on elsewhere it appends to the already created User A text file. User B comes along logs onto Computer A that has NOT been restarted, User B file is created but no entry added to Computer A file UNLESS it has been restarted, I can't see why.

Thank Post
    Which is why I was saying about edit permissions etc. If you do it this:

echo Log In %Date% %TIME% %USERNAME% >> \\servername\Computerlogon\%COMPUTERNAME%%TIME%.lo g
    echo Log In %Date% %TIME% %COMPUTERNAME% >> \\servername\Studentlogon\%USERNAME%.log
    Just to test and see if it creates two seperate files, then its to do with editting another persons file. If it still wont create it ignore me!

Steve

Thank Post
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding you. All the user files create fine and append fine. The Computer files also create fine but will only APPEND fine if restarted inbetween logins.
    ie at the end of the day if a PC has not been restarted it will only show one user for the whole day (ie the first user), even though I can see through the various user files it has been logged onto many times yet if userA logs on twenty times EVEN to the SAME computer without restarts it will append all 20 in the user file but the computer file will only show 1 entry.

Thank Post
    Yes I think it is a permissions issue......thanks.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread