+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Thread, Exchange 2003 SMTP Problem in Technical; Hi guys If this post isn't in the relevant place, please feel free to move it. We have Exchange 2003 ...

Thank Post

Exchange 2003 SMTP Problem

Hi guys

If this post isn't in the relevant place, please feel free to move it.

We have Exchange 2003 SP2 sitting ontop of Windows 2003 SP2. All WinXP SP2 machines in the network. It works absolutely perfectly, bar one problem I can't figure out.

Two staff members have now tried to send mail to Yahoo accounts and have had an error message email come back from the server itself. I've tried searching everything I know, but cannot find an answer.

The message in the email looks like this:

"Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: xxxxxxxx
    Sent: 2007/11/05 13:20

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

xxxxxxx on 2007/11/05 13:23
    You do not have permission to send to this recipient. For assistance, contact your system administrator.
    <server01.woodlands.isct.co.za #5.7.1 smtp;550 5.7.1 550 Multi Recip block on Yahoo mail>"

Does anyone know what the error is and how to fix it? One staff member encountered this when using Outlook XP, and one with Outlook Web Access. The people with the Yahoo accounts are all together in the "To" field. Not CC or BCC.

The above error message will appear in the error email for every recipient the person tried to mail, even if their mail address was not with Yahoo.

If anyone can help I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
    Craig 8)

coquet636

Re: Exchange 2003 SMTP Problem

We have the same problem but i have been blaming our ISP... maybe its not them.........

Thank Post

Have you got a recipient limit set on the user that is trying to send emails? or is the recipient limit part of a policy?

1) To check go to AD Users and Computers on your exchange server and then find the user (the one trying to send emails) and double-click on the user to bring up the properties.

2) Click on the Exchange General tab

3) Click on the "Delivery Options" button

4) Under the section of Recipient limits which option is selected? Use default limit or Maximum recipient?

If its use default limit then you may need to look at the policy.

HTH,

Ash.

coquet636

Checked everything and all the defaults are selected. Have not setup anything in the policy to do with email as have just setup the exchange server. think i need to check my smtp connection setting as think thats where the problem lies but cant get anyone at my isp to contact me ..... have the ip address of the external dns but not sure what other settings i need to set in the smtp delivery tab.

Thank Post

Sounds like a reverse DNS issue.

Does the Public IP of the SMTP server resolve to the SMTP greeting using a reverse DNS lookup?

You can check it here.

http://www.zoneedit.com/lookup.html

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Keep in mind there is a receipt limit of 1 to Yahoo hosted domains.

coquet636

When i run the reverse lookup it finds our address. when i run the smtp test it finds our site aswell. i get emails in ok just cant get them out.

Thank Post

Still sounds like DNS and I think is the Greeting on the SMTP connector. You need to change it to match the public DNS A record of the mail server.

eg. smtp.mydomain.com

Open Exchange System Manager.

Expand Servers, expand the Exchange server, expand Protocols, and then expand SMTP.

Right-click the default SMTP virtual server and select Properties.

Select the Delivery tab, and then click Advanced.

Under Fully qualified domain name, enter the value for the public FQDN for the exchange server.

Click OK to save the changes, and then click OK to close the Properties dialog box of the SMTP virtual server.

coquet636

got all those settings in now and the dmain name passes the check.

When i look in ques i have the smtp connector with my messages queued now.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by coquet636
    got all those settings in now and the dmain name passes the check.

When i look in ques i have the smtp connector with my messages queued now.

You may need to restart the Defualt Virtual Server to flush the queued messages.

coquet636

Flushed the queues so only the test message i have sent is in the queue and it still wont deliver.

we use sophos puremessaging could that have a setting i need to change.

coquet636

deleted the smtp connector and setup a new one and now i get a message back saying it is unable to relay.

getting closer...

Thank Post

deleted the smtp connector and setup a new one and now i get a message back saying it is unable to relay.

getting closer...
    The MS technet article below will show you how to telnet into the Exchange server and send a test message.

I would give this a try and post the NDR here.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/153119

coquet636

tried telnetting into the server and the server it was listing was our web server. Before exchange was reinstalled we had OWA working so i guess its something to do witht he settings we had for that.

so,

i found my ex-assistants notes that he made when he setup exchange last time and have started a full reinstall of the server.

now i have all the settings in correctly as he had them before (when it worked). now i get messages in and can send them within. just cant get them to send out. and i get no error messages back, the email just doesnt send.......

he has soem notes about setting up ssl and cedrtificaates vbut there patchy to say the least .... when i setup a certificate in iis it creates fine. i then save it to file fine. but when i try to request a certificate from our CA it uploads the saved certificate but the certificate doesnt send and seems corrupt...

so pulling what little hair i have out...

got to be gettign close now though..

Thanks for your help so far djm968

Thank Post

tried telnetting into the server and the server it was listing was our web server. Before exchange was reinstalled we had OWA working so i guess its something to do witht he settings we had for that.

so,

i found my ex-assistants notes that he made when he setup exchange last time and have started a full reinstall of the server.

now i have all the settings in correctly as he had them before (when it worked). now i get messages in and can send them within. just cant get them to send out. and i get no error messages back, the email just doesnt send.......

he has soem notes about setting up ssl and cedrtificaates vbut there patchy to say the least .... when i setup a certificate in iis it creates fine. i then save it to file fine. but when i try to request a certificate from our CA it uploads the saved certificate but the certificate doesnt send and seems corrupt...

so pulling what little hair i have out...

got to be gettign close now though..

Thanks for your help so far djm968
    No worries

IIS, SSL and OWA is separate issue don't worry about that for the moment, you need get the server sending mail externally first.

1. Can you access the internet from the Exchange server using the web browser?
    2. Are the default gateway and DNS settings correct?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast