+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Folder disapeared from existence in Technical; Supposably our drama department had a folder which is within a shared folder that both students and teachers could write ...
    Thank Post

Folder disapeared from existence

Supposably our drama department had a folder which is within a shared folder that both students and teachers could write to (special permissions for students where by they could create a folder only, then within that folder could create work but not delete it) one evening recently a drama teacher wanted to move that folder so using home access plus file browser she right clicked and said cut.........that folder has never been seen again.

The very very strange part though is that the folder in question no longer exists in volume shadow copies, nor has it ever existed on our backup tapes going back two weeks before the incident. I've even done searches on the shadow copies and current storage incase she has simply moved it but there's no sign of anyting relating to what she's after.

In my opinion i'd say that folder could never have existed, it's not physically possible for a teacher to delete a folder resulting in it disapearing from two different types of backups, but she's adament that it existed and students had important work in there up until the point she attempted to move it.

Has anyone ever had this happen? I'm stumped.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,674 Posts
    Stupid question. If she cut it, has she tried pasting it from wherever she was at the time. If she was at home, did she paste it onto her home computer? (yes, I know this ignores the fact that you cant find it on the backup)
    Can you find out the name of a piece of the work that was supposedly in there and search for that on the backup instead of the folder?

Thank Post
    Could it have been a shortcut to a folder in another location that was on the shared area? This way if the destination folder was not available at a time the shortcut was used someone may have clicked yes to delete the shortcut.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Stupid question. If she cut it, has she tried pasting it from wherever she was at the time. If she was at home, did she paste it onto her home computer? (yes, I know this ignores the fact that you cant find it on the backup)
    Can you find out the name of a piece of the work that was supposedly in there and search for that on the backup instead of the folder?
    Well she says she tried to paste it in to the folder she had moved to but the paste option wasn't there, then tried to paste it somewhere else (i didn't ask if that was her PC or somewhere still within the school folder structure) and paste appeared greyed out.

I've tried searching for a few folders, files a little bit more difficult as the students named them and you know what they're like....everythings document1 or something like "IZZYS AMAZING WORK" or some such nonsense. Will attempt it but i don't hold out much hope.

Quote Originally Posted by HilcrRWise View Post
    Could it have been a shortcut to a folder in another location that was on the shared area? This way if the destination folder was not available at a time the shortcut was used someone may have clicked yes to delete the shortcut.
    I thouht that but surely the backups would still have the shortcut file? I've tried searching all our shares though and not come across anything (we have two other folders with the exact same name, just with 2012-13 instead of the 2013-14 like the one that was deleted had)
    Last edited by mrbios; 14th November 2013 at 08:40 AM.

Thank Post
    is it worth looking at one of the kids recent files list to try and find a filename to search for

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread