+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
Windows Thread, Real Player Redistributable in Technical; Does any body know where I can get, or register to get, the real player redistributable file for the latest ...
  1. #1
    tscnmuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lincolnshire
    Posts
    216
    Thank Post
    5
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Real Player Redistributable

    Does any body know where I can get, or register to get, the real player redistributable file for the latest free real player? I had one for version 10 but version 11 is proving a pain to get hold of.

    Thanks

    Tom

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    318
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Real Player Redistributable

    @ Tscnmuk Have you tried this ?

    RealPlayer 11 Build 6.0.14.552 Beta

  3. #3
    tscnmuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lincolnshire
    Posts
    216
    Thank Post
    5
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Real Player Redistributable

    Thanks for that. Never like putting Beta copies of things on the live network though - plus some of them randomly expire which would be a nightmare to run around and fix quickly.

  4. #4
    ICT_GUY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Weymouth
    Posts
    2,261
    Thank Post
    646
    Thanked 283 Times in 204 Posts
    Rep Power
    104

    Re: Real Player Redistributable

    Try real alternative, its the codecs without the bloat and spyware.

    http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...lternative.htm

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,154
    Thank Post
    114
    Thanked 527 Times in 450 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    123

    Re: Real Player Redistributable

    Quote Originally Posted by ICT_GUY
    Try real alternative, its the codecs without the bloat and spyware.

    http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...lternative.htm
    The problem with Real Alternative is that it breaks Real's copyright by simply distributing the Real Networks DLLs - http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?threadid=68399 has a comment from Karl Lillevold from Real about this (check the properties of the DLLs if you want to see the copyright message)

    The normal Real Player download has a long and detailed license agreement but it's pretty clear that you can't download and install it to a master image (as most schools would do), you can't put it on your own intranet for install (which might be an alternative) and you need to fill in an email address etc for each person who's going to use it.

    What you probably need is Real Player Enterprise (http://www.realnetworks.com/products/rpe/index.html) This used to be very expensive (thousands of pounds!) but there now seems to be a free version. I'm not a lawyer and I now have a headache from trying to make sense of the license agreement but it might be possible to legally use this on a school network.

  6. #6
    Osprey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    65
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Rep Power
    16

    Re: Real Player Redistributable

    Are there any msi packages of any of these?

    One of the problems of Real Alternative, as I understand it, is that it won't handle streaming radio. Many of our teachers have to have a dose of Terry Wogan before they can teach their children!

  7. #7
    tscnmuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lincolnshire
    Posts
    216
    Thank Post
    5
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Real Player Redistributable

    Quote Originally Posted by Osprey
    Are there any msi packages of any of these?

    One of the problems of Real Alternative, as I understand it, is that it won't handle streaming radio. Many of our teachers have to have a dose of Terry Wogan before they can teach their children!
    I think this is mainly my problem as well - but it's easier to just install it rather than start an argument. MSI packages would be ideal but just the installer files would be good as well. I hate this new thing where you only download a 12K installer or something which then pools off to the internet somewhere to pull down the rest of what it needs, it doesn't make sense at all on a large network. At least products like flash, shockwave, and acrobat reader (all adobe, hmmm), offer redistributable copies of their software, even if you do have to register.

    Tom

  8. #8
    ICT_GUY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Weymouth
    Posts
    2,261
    Thank Post
    646
    Thanked 283 Times in 204 Posts
    Rep Power
    104

    Re: Real Player Redistributable

    Quote Originally Posted by srochford
    Quote Originally Posted by ICT_GUY
    Try real alternative, its the codecs without the bloat and spyware.

    http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...lternative.htm
    The problem with Real Alternative is that it breaks Real's copyright by simply distributing the Real Networks DLLs - http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?threadid=68399 has a comment from Karl Lillevold from Real about this (check the properties of the DLLs if you want to see the copyright message)

    The normal Real Player download has a long and detailed license agreement but it's pretty clear that you can't download and install it to a master image (as most schools would do), you can't put it on your own intranet for install (which might be an alternative) and you need to fill in an email address etc for each person who's going to use it.

    What you probably need is Real Player Enterprise (http://www.realnetworks.com/products/rpe/index.html) This used to be very expensive (thousands of pounds!) but there now seems to be a free version. I'm not a lawyer and I now have a headache from trying to make sense of the license agreement but it might be possible to legally use this on a school network.
    This is why its a dead codec.

    Is it just me or are there real problems with the way certain customers treat their users? Its only a codex afterall, its no better than wmv or quicktime.

    As far as I know there are only a few sites that still use real player, I only include the codec on my network to stop the odd complaint from teachers who dont know better.

  9. #9
    zag
    zag is offline
    zag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,762
    Thank Post
    897
    Thanked 416 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    12
    Rep Power
    86

    Re: Real Player Redistributable

    Real player is just a virus, now the BBC has finally seen the light and moved away from it I think its dead in the water.

  10. #10

    plexer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    13,341
    Thank Post
    624
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts
    Rep Power
    414

    Re: Real Player Redistributable

    There appears to be real player enterprise manager which is a console for distibuting and configuring the real player enterprise client.

    There is also a free download of real player enterprise which is a silent installer to install the client software.

    Ben

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Central Scotland
    Posts
    829
    Thank Post
    12
    Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Rep Power
    18

    Re: Real Player Redistributable



    Says it all really..

  12. #12

    plexer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    13,341
    Thank Post
    624
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts
    Rep Power
    414

    Re: Real Player Redistributable

    Well you can download a free version of real player enterprise but you can only install it on one pc.

    I've just submitted a contact me request to real to ask what we can do regarding deploying it on a school network and I'll let you know when I get more info.

    Ben

  13. #13
    tscnmuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lincolnshire
    Posts
    216
    Thank Post
    5
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Real Player Redistributable

    @ Plexer

    Thanks a lot, do let me know what is happening with that. Real player is the only piece of "general build" software that I am having a royal pain of a time with at the moment.

    Tom

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    69
    Thank Post
    2
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Rep Power
    17

    Re: Real Player Redistributable

    Horrible software - it pains me to have to deploy this over the network.

    As yet however, I've only ever deployed this by creating my own MSI capture using InstallSheild. Probably against the licence but it's either that or Real Alternative, which would they prefer?

  15. #15
    Richie1972's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Blackburn
    Posts
    239
    Thank Post
    2
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Rep Power
    18

    Re: Real Player Redistributable

    I emailed Real about this ages ago and this is what I got back (it seems that it is fine to use Real Enterprise throughout school)


    Hello Richard,

    My name is Peter. I am a Real Networks Tier 2 Technical Support Representative. Your case has been escalated to our department due to severity. Thank you for your continued patience, and I would like to apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced so far.

    I have followed this thread since the day you initiated it on 02-02-2007. As I understand it that you need to install and use Real Player 10 Free Enterprise edition on more than 500 computers. I can help you with this.

    As long as you are using free edition you are fine.

    Please reply to this email with any further questions or concerns.

    Thank you,

    RealNetworks Technical Support
    Tier 2 Escalation Department

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. He is real....
    By russdev in forum Jokes/Interweb Things
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 23rd December 2007, 10:13 PM
  2. Real Player 10
    By AnnDroyd in forum Downloads
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 31st October 2007, 12:13 AM
  3. Real Player
    By ZeroHour in forum Educational Software
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 10th October 2007, 03:14 PM
  4. ISA Server and Real Player
    By WithoutMotive in forum Windows
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 22nd June 2007, 08:46 AM
  5. ISA 2000 and Real player streaming
    By pooley in forum Windows
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 19th March 2007, 11:58 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •