+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Windows Thread, Downsides of pupils not having profile (man or roaming) in Technical; Hello all. Long time lurker, first time poster This discussion is interesting. We currently use roaming profiles and they've started ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

roaming f%©™ing profiles

Hello all. Long time lurker, first time poster

This discussion is interesting. We currently use roaming profiles and they've started to get a bit weighty and problematic, the two may be related.

We have problems with pupils missing files, work not being saved or propagating properly etc etc. After having a dig about on the web, i tried implementing folder redirection on their My Docs and Desktop to cut down on the constant copying when they log on all over the place.

This was my first foray into using redirection and, sod's law, we started getting some weird behaviour. The PCs, when logged off, now insist on synchronising everything with the server, and the little blue synchronising icons on everything were confusing people. Is this normal when using folder redirection? (the synchronisation i mean) I assumed that it'd work like a mapped network drive. We don't need offline files, desktops only.

Suffice to say, i've turned redirection off and defaulted the redirection, recreated the pupils' profiles and accounts. Sadly though, the PCs still insist on synchronising files. I've since trawled through GP and shut down all possibility of offline files/synchronising, yet it still happens. Driving me nuts.

Hope that all makes sense. I guess what i'm looking for is an easily maintained, idiot-proof solution (for them and me!) to our little situation. Any ideas shall be met with cookies / a furious batting of eyelashes / some cleavage, whatever floats your boats.

Thank Post
    It can be annoying trying to get offline files to go away once it's got its claws in. One thing you could try as a tester is the csccmd (client side caching command) commandline tool.

There is a jazzy 1.1 version which does all sorts of stuff:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884739

but XP comes with a basic version 1.0. From your XP cmdline, try running

Code:
    csccmd /disable
    If it's already disabled you'll get:

Code:
    ERROR:: CSC is not enabled on this machine.
    at the bottom of the output. If you have luck with that, scripting may be the next step...

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Hope that all makes sense. I guess what i'm looking for is an easily maintained, idiot-proof solution (for them and me!) to our little situation. Any ideas shall be met with cookies / a furious batting of eyelashes / some cleavage, whatever floats your boats.
    If you're really called Ryan and you do have cleavage, please keep it under wraps!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 1,263 Posts

Thumbs up

I use a mandatory roaming profile for pupils and give each teacher their own roaming profiles. It's always worked well, however it's good to see the different methods being used.

Roaming profiles can be controlled by Group Policy, so there are ways to control its size. In saying that though, I'm working at one school at the moment and one user has a roaming profile which is 463MB and that's over wireless. It was slow logging on to say the least!

I'll be a hero when I fix this tomorrow!

Thank Post
    The school I am at uses mandatory profiles for the kids without too many problems. There are complaints from kids that they can't pick their wallpaper, but that's tough. The only problem have been with visually impaired children needing different settings and that has been dealt with by having a seperate manatory profile for visually impaired kids.

Thank Post
    We use folder redirection here which is great and a default profile in the netlogon share on each DC. The default profile is only 1.5 meg so it really doesn't cause any traffic issues, this contains our application settings and can be updated easily.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sahmeepee View Post
    If you're really called Ryan and you do have cleavage, please keep it under wraps!
    Not quite sure how to defend myself on that one, other than "i don't - honest!"

Ta for the linkypoo sahmeepee, i'll check it out in the morning.

The phrase that springs to mind when i experimented with redirection is "Pandora's box" - nowt but bloody trouble since!

Has anyone ever seen/got roaming profiles and folder redirection working properly, seamlessly and with few issues? Or is that the computing equivalent of a mermaid riding a unicorn?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,378 Times in 842 Posts
    Blog Entries
    One thing you can do is change the offline file settings of the share your redirecting to.
    Just go into the share properties in 2003 and you should find mention of offline file settings.
    There is also a GPO setting that disables syncronising so users basically work with files hosted on the server.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    users basically work with files hosted on the server.
    That's exactly how i saw it working. Gah. Never as simple as it seems though is it. Can forsee a testing session on the cards...

Thank Post
    One thing you can do is change the offline file settings of the share your redirecting to.
    Just go into the share properties in 2003 and you should find mention of offline file settings.
    There is also a GPO setting that disables syncronising so users basically work with files hosted on the server.
    Just to expand on this a little - if you want Offline Files gone (or to never return) - ensure that caching is disabled on shares on the server.

Set GPOs so that offline files are disabled at the machine and user level (this may or may not be important, but we have multiple forests so for us we set it in both places just to make damned sure it doesn't come back).

As for us... we use a super mandatory profile for the kids, start menu redirection (but not desktop), my documents redirection and a very thorough logon script. We also have various other scripts and tools that handle problems (such as app specific settings in certain rooms) and one that may of interest - we have Office XP and 2003 - yet we use 1 icon for both - we have a script handle office versions for us.

Alot of our 'value-added' services (such as the background active-x wallpaper) have mostly been written in-house by yours truely (because as we know, schools hate spending money!).

If anyone has any questions or such about things - feel free to PM me, I check the forums almost daily

Az

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Just been through 'em all and done that, thanks. Hopefully it'll make a difference.

Something that's bothering me - i just created a spanking new (roaming btw) test account, logged into my test PC beside this one (to create the profile files), downloaded a pic to My Pics and set as background then logged off. I popped downstairs to a classroom and logged on, all fine - picture is in My Pics (no desktop picture though, grr).

The annoying bit: When logging off, it STILL tries to do a synch. i.e., the box pops up and goes through the process of synchronising "profiles$" folder - whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,378 Times in 842 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I assume the profiles share has caching settings setup correctly.
    There is also a GPO setting that disables synchronising so users basically work with files hosted on the server.
    The settings for offline files are under:
    User config->Admin Templates->Network->Offline files

Have a look through them and you should be able to disable synchronise.

Thank Post
    If only I could do what I wanted with profiles :/

I want a mandatory profile stored on the server. I don't want it copied to the local machine each time users login as that takes ages, I'd rather it was run from the share like redirected folders.

Why not just use redirected folders? Well you need write permissions over application data and other areas so it's not going to work for multiple users.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ah, that's a cheeky little setting in there: "Don't automatically make redirected folders available offline." Now i know i suppose

Have disabled or otherwise killed everything in there relating to offline files. See if it goes away...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123