+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Windows Thread, Deploying Java 7u45 in Technical; Curiously a fair few machines with problems this morning, all getting stuck at the "Please Wait" before the logon screen ...
    Thank Post
    Curiously a fair few machines with problems this morning, all getting stuck at the "Please Wait" before the logon screen appears. All related to either the Java or latest flash deployment over GP.

I removed the deployments and that resolved it. Oddly it seems to be our fastest PCs, often those with SSDs, that get stuck by this. Other machines are unaffected.

I had this before with a handful of machines and the Java/Flash update but turning them off and on resolved it. Not this time.

I'll do some testing later on... (note the update had been tested on a small group of IT department machines, but I wonder if this relates to sending out an uninstall command followed by the update itself over the weekend. Normally I do this during the school day)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gongalong View Post
    Curiously a fair few machines with problems this morning, all getting stuck at the "Please Wait" before the logon screen appears. All related to either the Java or latest flash deployment over GP.

I removed the deployments and that resolved it. Oddly it seems to be our fastest PCs, often those with SSDs, that get stuck by this. Other machines are unaffected.

I had this before with a handful of machines and the Java/Flash update but turning them off and on resolved it. Not this time.

I'll do some testing later on... (note the update had been tested on a small group of IT department machines, but I wonder if this relates to sending out an uninstall command followed by the update itself over the weekend. Normally I do this during the school day)

I'm actually encountering this currently as well. In testing on a few machines before a full pushout.
    I did the following:
    1) extracted offline installers of Java x86 & x64
    2) Created transformations using ORCA and applied them in the GPO.
    2.1) The transformations include:
    Property:
    -AUTOUPDATECHECK 0
    -IEXPLORER 1
    -JAVAUPDATE 0
    -JU 0
    -MOZILLA 1
    3) Disabled x86 Java from installing on 64bit machines.
    4) Deployed on test xp and Win 7 machines and gets held up at the "Please wait" or if you enable verbose status messaging, "Installing Java Update v45"
    *After leaving the computer for over an hour, it cancels and yields an error with Java not being able to be installed.
    *I don't run an uninstall command beforehand, I just let the Java update push and hopefully do it.

-I'm thinking there has to be some kind of new setting to configure when deploying.

3. Thanks to Zyxn from:

Gongalong (1st November 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,211 Times in 761 Posts
    For what it's worth, I also have REMOVEEXISTING=1 set in my transform. I don't set the JU property as setting JAVAUPDATE=0 seems to take care of it.

However, I install via WSUS/Local Update Publisher, not GPO, so it may be something (such as a race condition) specific to GPO deployment.

5. Thanks to AngryTechnician from:

Thank Post
    I had the same "please wait" with the previous update as well (7u25 from memory) but to a lesser extent. It was so bad this time I had to back out the update so people could logon (it didn't show in testing).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    For what it's worth, I also have REMOVEEXISTING=1 set in my transform.
    I don't see this as an option listed under PROPERTY (using Orca).

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,627 Times in 1,937 Posts
    I don't see this as an option listed under PROPERTY.
    You have to add the property yourself as a new row.

9. Thanks to Arthur from:

Thank Post
    Oddly it doesn't seem to be affecting our older slower HDD based machines. It's only our faster SSD based machines that seemed affected, albeit it could be some software difference. I'm waiting to see if/when the latter boot past the "please wait" stage and will check Event Viewer, along with the install state for Java.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,627 Times in 1,937 Posts
    It's only our faster SSD based machines that seemed affected, albeit it could be some software difference.
    Do the PCs with SSDs have the Java QuickStarter Service installed? If so, does it make any difference if you disable this service prior to installing the new version of Java?

12. Thanks to Arthur from:

Thank Post
    Nope, no Java Quickstarter Service. Having turned on a room of 28 of the slower PCs a couple are affected, but the bulk not.

The quicker PCs are all starting to get to the logon screen now, after an hour or so of "please wait". Java 7u45 has not installed, and there's no clues I can spot in Event Viewer. There is mention of the logon service taking around an hour to arrive (no surprise). I also got an odd client service message about Java not being installed properly, although Java 7u25 is purportedly on these machines.

Retesting now with REMOVEEXISTING=1 added...

Thank Post
    The error I'm getting is from a dialog labelled "Interactive Services Detection". It's telling me that "a program running on this computer is trying to display a message. The program might need information form [sic] you or your permission to complete a task." The program requesting attention is RunDLL. The message is, "There was a problem starting C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\\installer.dll. The specified module could not be found." Once I acknowledge that the message goes.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,211 Times in 761 Posts
    A Google search for that error reveals a few threads going back several versions of Java, and they all look like they are to do with upgrades. If you are also seeing spurious errors about the previous version not being installed properly, I would suggest something is Not Quite Right™ with the previous Java install and that is tripping up the installer.

Have you tried manually removing the previous version first and seeing if the error still appears?

16. Thanks to AngryTechnician from:

Thank Post
    Retesting is getting the same "please wait". Perhaps the image used for these newer machines has some Java corruption issue.

Will try uninstalling next.

Thank Post
    I tried completely removing the previous java manually on 2 machines. It still gets stuck at the "Please Wait" 45min wait.

In looking up this issue, previous versions had the same problem...the solution: Wait til next update and skip this deployment.

So I guess January 17th can't come soon enough.

Thank Post
    I now have what looks like a broken 7u25 install. If I try and uninstall I get told there's an install in progress. I get that Interactive Services Detection dialog again, but if I confirm the error re. launching the DLL it then lets me install 7u45, which seems to kill the broken 7u25 install. Tedious, but a solution it seems.

Thank Post
    An alternative to waiting for this dialog to appear is to just kill the RUNDLL32.EXE task. This then allows you to install 7u45. Slightly less tedious.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast