+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, NT4 -> Server 2003 Upgrade Issues in Technical; Quickie - Had a creaky PDC, new Server 2003 install joined to domain as workstation and a Virtual PC VM ...

Thank Post

NT4 -> Server 2003 Upgrade Issues

Quickie -

Had a creaky PDC, new Server 2003 install joined to domain as workstation and a Virtual PC VM NT4 running on that. PDC has died, upgraded the NT4 VM to Server 2003 expecting everything to be peachy (was fine as NT4 BDC) - having problems accessing PCs/PCs logging on. Censornet can still auth against the new server, so user accounts have come across ok but it seems that the computer accounts aren't so happy... Have I missed something?

On trying to access existing workstations from the VM server I get "trust relationship between this workstation and primary domain failed" type error, on trying to logon from existing workstations, an error about the computers account in the domain. Missed a step somewhere?

Any tips gratefully received, much panicking. Clean domain/passwords/etc is not an option...

Thank Post

Re: NT4 -> Server 2003 Upgrade Issues

Does it have the relevant FSMO roles? I've no idea what 2003 does if it upgrades a BDC as it wouldn't have them on nt4. What are the clients os and service pack level?

Thank Post

Sorry, the NT4 (VM) BDC was upgraded to a (VM) PDC before the 2003 upgrade.

Have to admit I'm in the dark re FSMO roles and was hoping that it would just go smoothly from NT4 to 2003 - no training on 2003 as yet *cough* just keep things going by prodding and swearing.

Clients are Windows 2000/SP4. I assume I could do the Remove/Join solution but the whole point of doing it this way was to avoid having to try and do that...

Edit - from the workstations, logging on locally, then using net view and the correct domain password gives the correct view of shares etc on the VM Server 2003 machine. Assuming I ought to fix this before then trying to move from the VM to real HW.

Thank Post

To simplify your problem, can you stop your real server being a member of the virtual server controlled domain so that all its' doing is hosting the virtual server e.g just giving the virtual machine network access?

regards

Simon

Thank Post

The 'real' physical server is currently just joined to the domain, not acting in any server roles, but I will move it back down to a workgroup and see what happens... :S

Thank Post

Is the time correct between the vm pdc and the clients? NT4 doesn't care, 2000/2003 use kerberos which does.

Thank Post

What sort of window for error is there in that? (sorry for all the questions which would be obvious to anyone who knows Server 2003 but my expertise is still sadly NT4!)

(Reason for asking is we have a lot of older machines which love to play the lose/gain 5+ minutes in the BIOS game)

Thank Post

There are several complications moving from NT4 to 2000+

The time problem will show in the event log on clients or it will tell you that the time is skewed between the domain controller and client when you try and login.

You must also use dns on the clients.

Are your clients pointing to the as for their dns server?

Thank Post

Clients are currently pointing to the Censornet server for DNS Oops.

Nothing in the logs about time problems, but every failed logon generates a 529 error in the server log which states the auth package as NTLM... Does this mean the clients are failing to try and use Kerberos to login?

Edit2: Taken one workstation out of domain, rejoined and now logs in/shows success/shows kerberos in the server log. Argh.

Edit:
    Taken 1 workstation, synced time with net time to server, set DNS to be the new server, still no joy...

"The system cannot log you on to this domain because the system's computer account in its primary domain is missing on the password on that account is incorrect"

The PCs do appear in Active Directory Users and Computers on the new VM PDC.

Only thing that seems out of the ordinary is the old server still shows under "Domain Controllers" in AD U&C - does this need to be deleted/seized/shouted at?

I'm going to owe people quite a few virtual pints here... :S

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread