+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Thread, MSDN Academic Alliance programme in Technical; Anyone had a look at this? MSDN Academic Alliance I still trying to work out the licensing implications. If anyone ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries

MSDN Academic Alliance programme

Anyone had a look at this?
    MSDN Academic Alliance
    I still trying to work out the licensing implications.
    If anyone has heard anything about this can they give me a shout, I will be asking the resident M$ expert at our Select Agreement holder but this does seem to good to be true.
    The fact that we can stick Visio et al on the students' home machines ... and get them onto XP Pro, that will mean a lot.
    I still can't quite work out the implications for installations within the school. If you are registered for one dept does this mean you can stick whatever chunk of the software onto machines that you run those courses for?

I can suddenly see every single machine in the school used for ICT as a discrete subject.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 1,415 Posts

Re: MSDN Academic Alliance programme

Hmm is that really the answer to all our software licensing issues in one go?

£192 a year bargain.

If you hear any more information don't forget to share it.

Thanks,

Ben

Thank Post

Hmm somebody point out the catch here apart from its per department :?

Thank Post

Maybe this bit:

The MSDN Academic Alliance is an annual membership program for technical departments in the area of Computer Science, Engineering, and Information Systems. As a member, a department receives an MSDNAA subscription that Microsoft platform, servers, and developer tools software. This software may be installed on any number of departmental lab machines. The software must be used for instructional and research purposes, it may not be used to run the infrastructure of the department. In addition, the department's faculty and students may check-out or download the software to install on their personal computers.

Q. Our computer lab is used by students from several departments. Can we install the MSDNAA software on the lab computers and allow it to be used by the students from the other departments?

A. Yes, one of the goals of the MSDNAA program is to make the software available for students to experiment with in a laboratory setting. Even if a member department shares a lab with another department, the software may be installed on lab computers and made accessible to any student wishing to use the computers. Be aware that member departments do not have the legal right to install the software on lab computers not affiliated with the member department. Additionally, the only students who would have the right to install the program software on their personal computers are those who are taking at least one credit class in the member department

The retail version of Windows XP is meant to be checked out to students and faculty for installation on their personal machines. Unique product keys may be downloaded from MSDN Subscriber Downloads, and should be provided to each student or faculty member who checks out or downloads Windows XP. Keys are distributed in blocks of 25. You may request additional keys by following the directions on the MSDN Subscription site.

Please do not distribute the volume license versions of software to students. We appreciate your cooperation

and: http://msdn.microsoft.com/academic/program/usageguide/

Still looking :P

Thank Post

Hmm, The more I read the more I am convinced that this is for testing and teaching about windows and ms software, its not 'software to use on a computer'. I would guess using it on the domain counts as infrastructure use and is not permitted (imho of course). You also can't run any servers with it, just test them. Also no office.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Well what department is going to say they won't be affiliated with the technology department if they can have all the MS software you can chuck at them! [ah - I see it in the EULA!]

Is it US terminology where they actually mean post 16 colleges?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Too be honest I am not too worried about office (Open Office if needed) but the inclusion of Visio and Virtual PC make it worthwile for me. With the XP licence too it means I have could have a viable method of using Virtual PC for certain courses running specific installations (a la GNVQ ICT).

Thank Post

I like the phrase 'naked PCs'

The way I read it, I could install any product that was taught in ICT/IT and [due to the thin client nature] anybody on any machine could use said product.

Would I be allowed to use all the products (thinking of Visual Studio here) to assist me in network management tasks?

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ric_

The way I read it, I could install any product that was taught in ICT/IT and [due to the thin client nature] anybody on any machine could use said product.

Would I be allowed to use all the products (thinking of Visual Studio here) to assist me in network management tasks?
    The Information Technology staff may not use the software and technologies to develop applications for the academic institution’s infrastructure

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_

The Information Technology staff may not use the software and technologies to develop applications for the academic institution’s infrastructure
    Just use the free visual studio Ric, no restrictions as far as I remember, just some missing components.

Thank Post

@DMcCoy: If I was to go for this I would probably want to use as many features as possible for better ROI and it would add to the business case.

Thank Post

I've just gone through the registration process only stopped at the checkout... don't want to get into trouble for placing orders without the bursar's permission...

It doesn't really ask for much info, just the department name, courses offered, number of students in course (all pupils now have to take ICT don't they? so that's all of them) and number of faculties in the dept...

I can't find any info about exactly what's offered though, does anyone know if it's listed anywhere?

Rick

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Just got off the phone to them ... if you have any queries then prefer them in email and will answer as soon as possible.
    academicalliance@eu.subservices.com

When I hear back I'll let people know what they say to me.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Good stuff. Thanks Tony!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast