+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Cachepilot Problems in Technical; Hi Does anyone with version 4 cachepilot have any problems viewing either realplayer videos or quicktime videos. We have a ...
    Thank Post

Cachepilot Problems

Hi

Does anyone with version 4 cachepilot have any problems viewing either realplayer videos or quicktime videos.

We have a cachepilot, which has been set up to authenticate uses from active directory.

Internet explorer seems to work fine authenticating this way, as does windows media player, they both dont prompt for any logon boxes.

But both quicktime and real player both look at the internet explorer proxy settings and each time ask for the cachepilot log on, it does not let me out if i put in either, the active directory password or a user account local to the cachepilot.

To be honest i havnt a clue what to do now about this. At the moment i am just telling staff that viewing quicktime or real video is not possible over the internet.

Does anyone have any ideas even if it was a script of some kind that included a standard password, or even some way of forcing both programs to bypass the cachepilot completely.

Tom

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts

Re: Cachepilot Problems

In Birmingham schools they use proxy servers based on imimic. It works a little different to your setup as once you've authenticated using Internet Explorer (for example), Media Player also works right away.

We have exactly the same problem as you describe, that any other application required to access the web (such as Quicktime or Real Player), prompt the user to enter their credentials again. The media then plays as expected.

Exactly as you say, these applications look at IE's proxy information on where to connect and this appears to be by design. I'd be interested if anyone does have a workaround for this too.

Thank Post

Althought we get the prompt to add our credentials the main problem is that no matter what i put in, it still will not go out over the internet.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts

That doesn't sound right. Have you contacted the manufacturers of cachepilot? I've never used the product, but it sounds to me something isn't configured right if it uses AD account information to authenticate.

Thank Post

It is strange as it works through internet explorer, and seems to work fine with windows media player.
    it almost seems that the way it authenticates doesnt work in quicktime or real player.
    i think i will contact the manufacturers and ask them about this.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread