+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Parallel port initialization as non administrator in Technical; Hi everyone, I have a computer here running Windows XP that its sole purpose is to run PlasmaCAM, an application ...
    Thank Post

Parallel port initialization as non administrator

Hi everyone,

I have a computer here running Windows XP that its sole purpose is to run PlasmaCAM, an application that talks to a plasma cutter in the shop via parallel port. If a local administrator initializes the plasma cutter in the PlasmaCAM software, the machine initializes and works fine, and if I log in as a standard network user account, the machine initializes and works fine. BUT, if I restart the computer and log in as a standard user right away and try to initialize the machine, I get an error message that says "could not start port access driver" and I believe "code 2".

Nothing shows up in the Event Viewer logs, but I can only imagine that some parallel driver needs to start at boot and is currently set to manual and only started when I initialize the PlasmaCAM machine as an administrator.

What's bugging me most is I seem to have fixed this on a past machine and it WAS working, albeit with a PCI parallel card and not an internal parallel port, but I can't figure out what I did, or if the simple fact of running a PCI card instead of internal was enough to fix it. Any advice on how to start this "access driver" on boot up would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
    Last edited by link470; 17th September 2013 at 10:50 PM.

Thank Post
    Semester here later, but hoping you get this message:
    Was curious if you found a solution to your issue. I was notified of the exact same problem here at our school. Everything about your post is an exact description of our problem. Curious if you stumbled upon a fix.

Thanks

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread