+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Patching Windows in Technical; As most of you are probably aware the second Tuesday of every month Microsoft (most of the time) issues new ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts

Patching Windows

As most of you are probably aware the second Tuesday of every month Microsoft (most of the time) issues new security updates. In a networked environment SUS (or even better) WSUS can greatly support Admins patching their network quickly and efficiently, but what do you do for standalone machines or machines without access to the internet? I have the answer!

I have created this package for users of Windows XP Service Pack 2 only. As long as you're running SP2 you can apply this update I have created, which has only critical updates from October 2004 upto December 2005.

The package is 86MB in size. When you run the file, it will extract updates to the C:\Hotfixes directory and a command prompt will appear as each of the updates are applied. You then only need to reboot your machine once for the updates to complete. Give me your thoughts and please report if you experience any problems, thank you!

Thank Post

Re: Patching Windows

"Give me your thoughts and please report if you experience any problems" just one prob - link does not work...

Thank Post

...does now.

Thank Post

Right clicking the file and selecting Copy to Folder should begin the download

Thank Post

Hi michael...

May i ask...how did you make it?

Its taking ages to download [slow connection here] so I'll try and guess lol

I'd imagine that its either a self-extracting exe that runs a little script installing all the hotfixes silently/unattended...

or

you have extracted all the files from all the hotfixes and created some way of installing it - so many installer type programs you could have used, its hard to guess that bit hehe

So am i anywhere near?

Thank Post

Cheers for that Michael. It'll save me hours when then next batch of laptops have to be wiped!

Thank Post

As for 'how do you keep standalones up to date', I don't do standalones. Its network or the highway!

I think one of the only problems with WSUS is that its all or nothing. Think about laptops for teachers. How often do they bring them into school and switched on in a wifi zone where WSUS can update them? But if you only rely on windows update some laptops will never be patched. I asked Microsoft about this on their technet roadshow (won a tshirt too) and they saids you either use wsus or wu. great

-Kev

Thank Post

@tarquel - If you go to C:\Hotfixes all the files used to silently install the updates are in this directory. The updates themselves are redistributables downloaded from Microsoft Technet. To install all the updates I've simply used a batch file which is automatically set to run, once all updates have been extracted.

@nawbus - Glad you found it useful. Please use it to your advantage and patch as many machines as you like. You're more than welcome to make copies to friends and colleagues too.

@kevinmcaleer - WSUS works great in a domain environment I agree and WU or MU is ok if you go to Tools > Windows Update, but you need to know its there. The other alternative of course is 2000 SP3 and later is Automatic Updates. Specify a time and Windows does the rest for you.

Thank Post

ahhhh thought as much [was taking forever to download hehe so i stoped it]

Just how i plan to do it also but I'm gonna sort of go one step further hopefully - detect what are missing then install the missing ones only hehe

Cheers
    Nath

Thank Post

There probably are methods whereby you can detect what hotfixes are installed or not, but it does no harm to re-install updates which have already been applied.

You simply have to run my package once on each machine, reboot and the job's done. Having all updates installed ensures that your workstations are completely up-to-date.

Thank Post

lol Indeed...

I have a script that patches up Win 98 [SE] - works well but probably could use some refinement.

[I know theres the Unofficial Service Pack for it - but I believe they tweak things with it, which I would expect there to be problems when using it in a work environment]

Cheers

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread