+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, RAID1 without data loss in Technical; Hi, I have a Dell PowerEdge T110 server with a Perc S100 RAID controller. Currently the server is setup without ...

Thank Post

RAID1 without data loss

Hi,

I have a Dell PowerEdge T110 server with a Perc S100 RAID controller. Currently the server is setup without any type of RAID and I want convert the existing setup to a RAID1 without reinstalling the Server's OS/loosing data. I'm 90% sure the RAID controller is not enabled in the BIOS.

My question is:

Can I image the current Hard Drive, install a new disk, setup a RAID1, then restore the image to the RAID ? Would the server still boot (due to drivers etc)? How can I install the RAID controller drivers so the OS boots as normal?

Thanks.
    Fraser

Thank Post
    You might have problems with drivers. You can however install the package drivers before you enable the controller then image your OS. I will do a server image before this too, just in case...

Thank Post
    Yup - you could install the RAID drivers into the OS first, then image the drives across to a USB or network store. Then, just enable the RAID and image the drives back. Personally, I'd do this with new drives so you have the old around if it doesn't work properly!

4. Thanks to 3s-gtech from:

Fraser-09 (10th September 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    The above should definitley work, but just to throw out another option (and the one I'd be taking): use this opportunity to virtualise the server.

1. Create a VHD of the existing server using Disk2Vhd onto an external disk.
    2. Create the RAID and install Hyper-V (if you dont have a licence you can use the free Hyper-V Server 2012).
    3. Copy the VHD back and recreate the original server as a VM with the VHD attached.

If you've not virtualised before then obviously there will be a bit of learning curve here, but the big advantage is that next time you need to do something like this - or move the server to new hardware - it will be much easier.

6. Thanks to AngryTechnician from:

Fraser-09 (10th September 2013)

Thank Post
    Indeed, that's a much better plan, just make sure any VT options are enabled in the BIOS first (seen quite a few where they're off by default).

8. Thanks to 3s-gtech from:

AngryTechnician (26th August 2013)

Thank Post
    Hi Guys,

Sorry for the late reply. Just a quick message to say thank you for all the ideas and suggestions. I think I have decided to go for AngryTechnician's solution and convert the server to virtual disk. Seems the easiest and safest .

At the moment, the server has three physical hard drives. One for the OS, one for user data, and a third for backup. I'd like to configure a RAID1 for the OS, and another separate RAID1 for the user date. Would your advise be to convert both the disks to VHD's? This particular server also runs Exchange 2007 (databases stored on the OS disk) and I presume there wont be any issues with exchange after converting the box to virtual?

Thanks
    Fraser

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread