+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Server Roles and Load Balancing in Windows 2003 R2 Standard in Technical; Does anyone have any good tutorials about load balacing server roles I have recently lost my 2nd DC to two ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Server Roles and Load Balancing in Windows 2003 R2 Standard

Does anyone have any good tutorials about load balacing server roles I have recently lost my 2nd DC to two hard disk failures it's now back up and running but when my first DC crashed today it took the network down with it nothing would work until DC1 was up again. Before when this happened DC2 took over and no one was any the wiser not sure whats different either it still runs AD and Secondary DNS Zone (This has been changed our primary DNS is on a NetBSD box) what other ways can I setup windows 2003 server R2 Standard to load balancing all of the 5 master roles? I have one or two servers that are setup for testing and could be wiped and rebuild specifically with this in mind?

Strangely DC1 and DC2 cannot ping the other but can ping everyone else and everyone else can ping them back!

Answers on a postcard please lol

Wes

Thank Post

Re: Server Roles and Load Balancing in Windows 2003 R2 Standard

Can you explain your dns setup a bit more. Each DC should be hosting a copy of what it considers the primary zone for the AD domain. If you want clients to work then you need to use one dc for the first dns server and the second as the other. Each DC should be using itself as primary dns and the other dc as secondary. You then use the forwarders to resolve any external addresses.

What do you mean about your primary dns zone being on a bsd box?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Server Roles and Load Balancing in Windows 2003 R2 Standard

What we have presently isDc1 and DC2 running seconrdary zone copies of the primary zone. The Primary zone runs on a NetBSD box (The box also runs DHCP). It looks as though our problems were caused by a faultly switch someone had "added" to the network causing a slight loopback the DC1 server crashed sadly coincidently at this point causing me no end of grief. The secondary DNS couldn't be contacted because of this!

It looks resolved now however I think I'll have to sort out the DNS and put it onto the DC1 and DC2 instead.

Wes

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread