+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Windows Thread, IP Conflict in Technical; it may well have the same beginning part of the MAC address. "May well" is a bit strong.. recall I'm ...

Thank Post

Re: IP Conflict

it may well have the same beginning part of the MAC address.
    "May well" is a bit strong.. recall I'm the one who once wrote and still uses an ARP scanner into which I embed the latest OUI (the IEEE company<->MAC list) every now and again. It might happen, but in practice I rarely see collisions between Vendorcorp's NICs and APs or whatever.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by maniac
    Easy way to track this down, but you can only do it when no one's using your network, and assuming you have a setup where you can easily isolate sections of your network.

1.Set it pinging on a workstation connected to your central switch.

2. Pull out each fibre in turn, until the ping is un-responsive. Bingo, you know which section of the network it's on.

Then you can repeat the same process in that section of the network, find out which switch it is, and then finally narrow it down to a port by doing the same thing on the switch.

Might take you a little while to do this, but IMO it's far easier than loading on fancy diagnostics tools to try and find it.

Mike.
    Well seeing as it's the main file server thats the killer..

What freaks me out now is that I disconnect the server from the entire network and it says there is still a conflict ?!?! How can that be when it's connected to nothing .. LOL..

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts

You "could" have lots of routers or computers on your network all using 192.168.1.1 Very unlikely but indeed possible.

I would seriously change your DC IP to something else immediately, such as 192.168.1.10 (for example). Not only will this restore your network, it'll also allow you to investigate the source further.

It will also mean that if someone does plug in a device without you knowing, it won't kill your network. Routers/Access Points always come with a static IP in the Class C range, so it makes perfect sense not to setup your DC with 192.168.1.1.

Thank Post

Would agree that the IP address is not the best one to choose for a DC and changing it will be best practice. However you need to look at what can happen or go wrong to the DC if it's the DNS and DHCP/WINS server if you change the IP.

http://redmondmag.com/forums/forum_p...?tid=3828&pn=1

http://technet2.microsoft.com/window....mspx?mfr=true

Thank Post

What freaks me out now is that I disconnect the server from the entire network and it says there is still a conflict ?!?! How can that be when it's connected to nothing

When I ran Spiceworks it showed the Proxy Server, which was installed by the LEA and I have no control, with a hostname in my laptop range. What had happened was that when I was installing a laptop I had a senior moment and set the IP address as the Gateway address and got a conflict with the Proxy Server. So Spiceworks is acting on information from the DC possibly in DNS. I don't fully understand this and had intended taking a look when I get some time but if anyone can advise me it would be great.

I'm wondering if you may have a similar situation, if your server is not connected to the outside world and you are still seeing the IP conflict.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123