+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Windows Thread, IP Conflict in Technical; Originally Posted by NickJones If it were on a different subnet, it wouldn't be conflicting with the server, would it? ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,743 Times in 2,317 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: IP Conflict

Quote Originally Posted by NickJones
    If it were on a different subnet, it wouldn't be conflicting with the server, would it?
    Just to clarify, I did say the same subnet as your station rather than same subnet as the server. Your statement depends on your management stations and servers being on the same subnet.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

nmap on linux might be able to help, this command should give you some information to go off:

Code:
    nmap -sS -O -vv 192.168.1.1

Thank Post

Try to command: nbtstat -a 192.168.1.1
    If it's running windows you'll get a name- Hope you work it out!

Thank Post

192.x.x.x is a reserved ip range (only used for internal addressing on a network) http://www.duxcw.com/faq/network/privip.htm

192.168.1.1 is usually a router, not an ip address given to a client. This might sound like a silly suggestion, but if you search for a wireless signal do you get any that you think shouldnt be there? I wouldnt be suprised if a "tech literate" teacher (is there such a thing?) has gone out and bought, or brought in, their own wireless router so that they dont have to have a cable hanging. Not many people would realise that a wireless router (with DHCP) and a wireless access point are different, and the wrong one could cause no end of trouble, failing that if it's not wireless, maybe just a router, maybe someone who shares an office or has a shortage of network sockets???

Hope this helps.

Thank Post

192.168.1.1 is my server IP

What is the best cheap/free PC Audit software.. one that will get me the mac numbers...

As I have the Mac number but it is a make of Network card that we have hundreds of..

Thank Post

Easy way to track this down, but you can only do it when no one's using your network, and assuming you have a setup where you can easily isolate sections of your network.

1.Set it pinging on a workstation connected to your central switch.

2. Pull out each fibre in turn, until the ping is un-responsive. Bingo, you know which section of the network it's on.

Then you can repeat the same process in that section of the network, find out which switch it is, and then finally narrow it down to a port by doing the same thing on the switch.

Might take you a little while to do this, but IMO it's far easier than loading on fancy diagnostics tools to try and find it.

Mike.

Thank Post

Spiceworks will do an audit of all networked equipment including mac addresses. Also does help desk. And it's free. If only it would make the tea!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Grommit
    When i said 192.168.1.1 is usually a router i was suggesting in a domestic setup. I know you have set your server to be that. I was merely suggesting that the conflict maybe because somebody has bought device in from home. Maniac's suggestion on how to find the exact location is a good one. you may also need to unplug the sever also.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,254 Posts

As a general rule I would never set a server (especially a DC) as 192.168.1.1, as already mentioned - this is typically the default for routers or access points.

Clearly this is causing a major problem and my recommendation would be to set the DC as 192.168.1.10 (as a minimum), irrelevant if it's in a reserved range or not.

Not only will it minimise the chance of this happening again, once you've made the necessary changes, you'll be able to quickly identify just what device on your network is causing the conflict. I do suspect it is a router/access point as they always come with a static IP address in the Class C range.

Thank Post

I do suspect it is a router/access point
    That would be my chief suspect, but Grommit said it's one of hundreds of NICs from a given vendor i.e. implies it's a workstation.

If that nbtstat command doesn't do it (give you a Windows name which helps track it down) then rather than start unplugging things which hurts your fingers after a while, I'd telnet to switches and ask them what MACs they've got associated with which ports. Whether and how you can do that depends on your switches. For instance on an HP you can use this command:

show mac-address

IIRC there's another command you can feed a specific MAC which returns the port number (if any).

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,254 Posts

Alternatively (I've just thought) in Sophos Enterprise Manager, under one of the tabs it displays the workstation name and its allocated IP. You'd be able to isolate it quickly. I hope you're using Sophos AV Grommit

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by PiqueABoo
    I do suspect it is a router/access point
    That would be my chief suspect, but Grommit said it's one of hundreds of NICs from a given vendor i.e. implies it's a workstation.
    If it's a router from the same manufacturer as the network cards u have, it may well have the same beginning part of the MAC address.

Mike.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Grommit

What is the best cheap/free PC Audit software.. one that will get me the mac numbers...

As I have the Mac number but it is a make of Network card that we have hundreds of..
    If you just want a quick way to get a list of MAC addresses you need 'Angry IP Scanner'.

If you've got managed switches you might be able to search their MAC tables which will list what port they connected through.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Osprey
    Spiceworks will do an audit of all networked equipment including mac addresses. Also does help desk. And it's free. If only it would make the tea!
    Thanks for the info. I was able to make the tea whilst it got on with the audit.

Thank Post

I agree with Michael but I would go a bit further, I would not use the 192.168.*.* on your network because casess like this will happen and you will get confusion to find the source. I would suggest to change your Ip ranges, the only acceptable time would be if you have a small one location network eg. one room only or a test lab where devices plugged to the network are easily controlled.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast