+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Windows Thread, Exchange in Technical; Originally Posted by DMcCoy Other changes? If you are going for a high spec server because you want to run ...
    Thank Post

Re: Exchange

Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy
    Other changes? If you are going for a high spec server because you want to run exchange now and other things later I would suggest that you reconsider. I really would try to run only exchange on it and no other services, Ideally it won't be a DC or anything else. I also wouldn't use an exchange box as a file server if thats why you want lots of space.

I think dual or quad core will be fine, 4 or 8GB ram too.

Exchange works well here, but it will be a bumpy ride if it goes wrong.
    That's good advice from DMcCoy

Due to lack of funds, space, etc, we run Exchange 2003 on a DC which is also the print server 8O (I know , I know!!)..................... It actually works well, but next year when we move to our new school Exchange will be on its own brand new non-DC server

One of the issues with Exchange on a 2003 DC is the shutdown process, due to the way Windows stops the services it takes a very long time to reboot. I found a script on the Internet which sorts this out (it stops the services in the correct order!)

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Pro
    - Great support on the internet for almost any problem
    - Very very stable
    - You have control over your exchange box
    - Webmail is world class, especially for student logons, it works out of the box in an educational environment
    - Fast and uses little resources
    - Very scalable
    - Cheap under your volume license if you have one

Cons
    - Disaster recovery can be a pain, but again all the info is on the internet
    - Cant add a disclaimer to the bottom of an email (need extra software)
    - DNS settings sometimes need looking at (this is a good thing as the exchange migration tools can identify problems with your network)

Thank Post

Big Pro: Integrates with your domain logon, and if you want to give access from home, Outlook Web Access does this superbly.

Pro: Looks better on your CV than "implimented and managed RM Easymail Accounts"!

Thank Post

system would not be used for a dc or file surver but would possible have 1 other app at a later date which is why it is over speced

again thanks for the info guys. it is much apreciated

Thank Post

could you list some of the features missing.
    GUI admin which is due in 2K7 SP1 for: a) bulk creation of mailboxes etc, b) pretty much everything to admin Public Folders. You can use powershell, CSV files etc. but that really hurts when you're accustomed to the ADUC extensions you get with E2K3.

The trouble with this whole thread is that many of the opinions based on E2K3 are irrelevant for E2K7 e.g. reliability not really established, it does do disclaimers, it eats plenty of RAM (I'd take the MS figure for RAM (2GB plus 2MB - 5MB per mailbox) seriously.

Note: You'll have to check into the justification, but I think MS suggest 8GB maximum for an "all-the-bits-on-one box" E2K7. Possibly just to persuade you to buy a second server licence etc., but I don't know.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by PiqueABoo
    could you list some of the features missing.
    GUI admin which is due in 2K7 SP1 for: a) bulk creation of mailboxes etc, b) pretty much everything to admin Public Folders. You can use powershell, CSV files etc. but that really hurts when you're accustomed to the ADUC extensions you get with E2K3.

The trouble with this whole thread is that many of the opinions based on E2K3 are irrelevant for E2K7 e.g. reliability not really established, it does do disclaimers, it eats plenty of RAM (I'd take the MS figure for RAM (2GB plus 2MB - 5MB per mailbox) seriously.

Note: You'll have to check into the justification, but I think MS suggest 8GB maximum for an "all-the-bits-on-one box" E2K7. Possibly just to persuade you to buy a second server licence etc., but I don't know.
    Good point, most of us will not be familiar with E2K7! The guys from our county were telling me the other day that to set up E2K7 properly they had to use a lot of servers, don't know how true this is! And that it's very different to manage.

One muppet in county managed to delete one of our admin network users - they first picked the wrong user, then went and removed the mailbox (which this user didn't actually have)! I had great fun demanding an explanation for how this happened!!

Thank Post

I think Exchange 2007 does'nt need many servers as some people are mentioned as you can install all the roles on one box. The server does need to be high-spec i.e. dual/quad core with min 4Gb RAM.

We are looking to upgarde our exchange 2000 box next year and will be considering migrating to 2007 rather than 2003.

Ash.

Thank Post

I think you're right, there would have been a lot of bad press if it had to be installed across a load of servers!

Thank Post

Another vote in favour on Ex2K3. I had some bad experiences having to do disaster recovery on Ex2K boxes, but I've found 2K3 to be very solid. DR should be simpler with the recover storage groups.

Installing Exchange should not be an 'install it and forget it' operation. The fact is that email very quickly becomes the life blood of most organisations when it is rolled out to everyone. Any downtime is viewed as unacceptable so I would say the following;

1 - Learn about it before you roll it out. Install it on a test server and fool around with it. If possible go on a course which covers installation, configuration, management and recovery. Exchange is a complex product and you don't necessarily uncover everything you need to know just by playing with it.

2 - Do a phased implementation. Don't go big bang to the whole school.

3 - Monitor the server regularly. This is probably the best way to avoid downtime.

4 - Have a proper DR plan. This should include more than just doing backups. You need to test the recovery steps so that you know what to do when the day comes you have to do it.

I've run Ex2K3 in VMs running on Core2Duo PCs with 1Gb RAM with no trouble. RAM is the key thing for Exchange, along with a solid disk platform.

Thank Post

there would have been a lot of bad press if it had to be installed across a load of servers!
    The "Typical" install puts all the bits you need on one box i.e. MS expect that to be he norm.

We are looking to upgarde our exchange 2000 box next year and will be considering migrating to 2007 rather than 2003.
    I've just done what will I really hope will be the last of a few E2K3+all-the-bells&whistles installs. E2K7 RTM is notoriously "feature incomplete", but SP1 plugs the holes and unless it is seriously broken hell will need to freeze over to persuade me to consider configuring an E2K3 again - it's just too damn fiddly, something I already knew, but E2K7 really emphasizes the point.

A better dilemma for an install next year might be which OS do you install it on?

Monitor the server regularly
    Thought that was part of the job description, but if not then also pay close attention to AD replication and if you don't know how, learn how to trigger that manually and verify it happened. Exchange has suffered a bit since the divorce from it's own directory and failure to consider replication delays probably accounts for more hair loss than anything else.

Thank Post

i have been doing alot of testing so far and this is what i have come up with.

i have set up a test domain to mimic my main domain with users ad and so on. on the test server i have installed ex2k7 and useing poweshell have imported the mail boxes (not easy to do but once you get your head around powershell and with alot of help from the net is not to bad), becouse the exchange server will not be forward facing i have also set up a isa 2k6 server as the edge then configured all the security certificates and forwarders to access the outside world (that bit was a pain as there is very conflicting info out there on how to do it).

the outcome so far is that we have both owa and full outlook access from anywere over a secure conection with only the isa server exposed to the net. the learning curve has been quiet high but myself and my colegues both have a good background knowledge on the systems.

the original question about the pro's and con's for slt is to get a general idea and thoughts and to make sure there wasnt anything i had missed.

If we do decide to go forward with it and it is cleared by slt my intention is to do a staged migration (staff first then year by year)

just to finish i would like to thank everyone involved in the discusion and to say your points will be put into the document to go forward to slt.

Loopy

Thank Post

In primary schools we use a hosted exchange solution called Primary Email.

Its an ideal solution for Primary schools who don't want to host their own email, Usual full exchange features such as :
    Lesson plans
    video guides
    text guides
    simplified login interface
    automatic update from mis
    bullying/abuse filtering
    spam filtering
    pupil games

you get the idea....

Thank Post

I've recently found out that of local broadband consortium (LGfL) will be providing an enhanced email service based on Exchange, providing full Outlook access, OWA and even secure email.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by ajbritton
    I've recently found out that of local broadband consortium (LGfL) will be providing an enhanced email service based on Exchange, providing full Outlook access, OWA and even secure email.
    How's that gonna work I wonder? Will they provide MAPI access within the firewall but only OWA outside? Will it require domain integration?

The most important question is will this be a replacement for the current ISP hosted email system or chargeable extra?

Thank Post

You can do MAPI access using RPC over HTTP. This allows you to connect the full Outlook client over the Internet using HTTP.

It's obviously nice to have domain integration but by no means a necessity. When Outlook is launched, it would simply prompt for logon details.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast